WAG Deductions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmommy123

Proud Parent
Anyone know the deduction for a coach giving a spot, and talking to the gymnast during her routine? My dd needed a spot on her mill circle during her first meet on bars, and I noticed she sort of paused, until the coach had to tell her to go. She had a very low score (lower than I even expected on the event) so was curious how much were the deductions for the spot and talking. I'm guessing it was a pretty heavy penalty. I'm hoping by next meet she'll have her mill circle on her own, she's very close :) Thanks!

It is 0.5 deduction for the spot. Plus no credit for the spotted skill (either 0.6 or 0.8 I think, not sure without checking the book). So yes, it is hard to get a good score on a routine with a spotted skill.

Thanks! I didn't realize she didn't get credit for the skill at all. Would it be better to just to the routine and omit the mill circle then? Hopefully won't be an issue next meet, but it's only 3 weeks away, so still a chance she won't have the mill circle by then.

Omitting a skill is a deduction equal to twice the value of the skill, so still better to do it with a spot, just barely.

Omitting a skill is a deduction equal to twice the value of the skill, so still better to do it with a spot, just barely.

But they can get form deductions on the spotted skill too, right? A skill that is still needing a spot is probably not form-perfect, so throw in a couple of deductions and it very well may cost less just to omit the skill. Unless I'm wrong about that?

I expect she got deductions on form too. I found it a little crazy that she had a lower score on bars, which she completed all her skills, than on beam, where she just plain forgot to do SEVERAL skills! The rest of her bar routine didn't look too bad, so I suspect a pretty big chunk of her score was due to that one skill. Good thing she's too little to really pay attention to scores, lol.

I Good thing she's too little to really pay attention to scores, lol.

azhorses,

IMHO, you should do the same. I think you will enjoy your dd's sport more and your dd will be more successful if you leave the coaching to the coach and let them teach your dd how to do her skills correctly, even when that requires a spot here and there. I have long believed that most parents pay far too much attention to scores, and far too little to the benefits that the gymnastics experience brings to our dds. My dd scored in the 20's her first season, but she loved the sport, she persisted, she had a good coach, and she is now a D1 NCAA gymnast, so my advice to you is to sit back and enjoy the ride. Good luck to your dd.

Thanks Gymdad :) Yes, when she finished, all I said was "GREAT JOB!" and "Did you have fun?" She had a super fun experience, which was exactly what I had hoped for, for her first time out.

ok, so say your cut on and cut off is pretty bad, mill gets a slight spot, but is in really good form? my dd is better at the whole shoot thru deal than the single leg cut deal.. and the more she tries to get that cut, the worse it seems to get!! i wanted to just ask the coach to let her omit it so she can feel good about the rest of the routine.. she gets to that part and her whole face changes.. and sometimes she looks right at me!!

If you're asking if she should omit the leg cut and do a shoot-through instead, no, that's not a good idea. I'm pretty sure she would get a deduction for omitting the skill and a deduction for adding a skill not in the routine. There's always a skill kids have trouble on...unfortunately, this is compulsories ;)

i meant skip the whole everything.. the cut on the mill circle and the cut off.. she gets between 8 and 8.6 the way it is, but wondered if that whole part was omitted could she score say an 8 or 8.6, or better, with near perfect everything else?

Last edited:
How would she get her leg on top of the bar to do the mill circle? She either has to do the leg cut or the shoot-through. ??

Ha no, I mean omit everything except the pullover, bhc, and dismount. But, bet that she'd do better as is. I'm just praying they move her up.. Since at least she's 50/50 on her shoot. She has never done one correct cut on. It scares her.

Yes, I think she should just keep doing it the way she has been. My DD didn't have the prettiest leg cut in L3 either, but she's doing just fine in L6 3 years later ;)

Based on the deductions you mention, I won't ask about omitting the mill circle, since it won't make a big difference in score. I figure, at least the way she did it over the weekend, was the full bar routine, in the order they want it to be. Hopefully in 2 weeks, she'll have it on her own and she won't need the spot again. It was so funny, she asked me last night if she could watch her routines from the meet. I showed her, and she saw her beam routine and said, "I forgot a bunch of stuff!" I don't know if she really realized it until seeing the video. Her goal is to move up one or two places AA for next meet, so hopefully she'll remember the WHOLE beam routine, and possibly do her mill on her own.

good luck with that mill!! my lil one sqeezes her hands while upside down so they don't get on top of the bar without a spot.. few of us moms though maybe it was harder for the smaller, lighter, young gymnasts with tiny hands, but i read here it's a lot about timing. she's been working on this skill since 2011 and she is getting really good at trying it on her own, but is getting bored and discouraged with it.. ha, i remember crossing my fingers hoping that they took that out for new routines in 2013, but grr.. of course they didn't!! luckily our gym has moved girls up with mill circle and FHC issues, so hopefully she will still move up next season..

Well, for my dd, her coach has said she's REALLY close, and she has her FHC consistently, so it's just try, try, try, and try again at this point. She doesn't seem to be getting frustrated, but I know she's like to be able to do the whole routine without her coach spotting her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back