WAG Developmental Camp question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
I don't know much about the camps (other than summer camps).

We have a gymmie that was invited to Developmental Camp (based on coaches submitting videos).

I know this is a pretty big deal (it's huge for us!), but I was wondering, is this a stepping stone to be being seen by the big name coaches? Do they use this camp to look for girls that they might want to take on to train for bigger & better things than their own gym can give them?

No real reason for asking, other than sharing in the excitement about our gymmie, and total curiosity about how that stuff all works.

Thanks!

No, Developmental Camps are an opportunity to work with the national team staff. They are not a tryout for elite gyms. Is she going in August?

Dev. camps also give coaches from smaller, non elite, gyms to work with national team staff, to learn more skills and how to manage a child with elite potential.

Thank you!
Yes, August.

Dev. camps also give coaches from smaller, non elite, gyms to work with national team staff, to learn more skills and how to manage a child with elite potential.

Got it - that makes sense, because I did hear that we are sending a coach with her.

thank you :)

As others have indicated they are invited to focus their preparation on qualifying Elite. It's very intense and very rewarding. Congrats to your friend, coach and gym.

Curious, I have heard this term before, but am also not sure I fully understand.

Are these "Developmental Camps" offered by USAG? Or some other entity? How many are there a year and who is eligible?

I know what the Tops A and B developmental camps are (for the winners of the TOPs national testing), but how does a child become 'invited' to these other Developmental Camps? Are they posted somewhere and anyone can apply? Or only certain gyms know about them and nominate athletes who are close to testing Elite or on that "path"?

Though I don't know if my DD would ever be a candidate, I would still like to understand the nature of these offerings and application process if anyone could share?

Well first off these are invitation only camps. Coaches, never parents, can submit video of a gymnast to the national team staff to be assessed.

Girls can be invited to these camps through TOPs Nat testing, TOPs camps and from the DIC, developmental invite camps that parents do pay for but are also invite only at this point. Girls have also been invited from meets including Hopes and elite testing.

Once in a while a gymmie gets to go because of a coach submitted video. I believe this is how Shawn Johnson came to the attention of the National team staff.

If a gymmie is invited to the camp I believe their costs are covered for the camp, but flights have to be paid for by the parent for both the gymmie and the coach. But I know we have experienced parents here who can shed more light on it, and perhaps more correctly.

Curious, I have heard this term before, but am also not sure I fully understand.

Are these "Developmental Camps" offered by USAG? Or some other entity? How many are there a year and who is eligible?

I know what the Tops A and B developmental camps are (for the winners of the TOPs national testing), but how does a child become 'invited' to these other Developmental Camps? Are they posted somewhere and anyone can apply? Or only certain gyms know about them and nominate athletes who are close to testing Elite or on that "path"?

Though I don't know if my DD would ever be a candidate, I would still like to understand the nature of these offerings and application process if anyone could share?

THey are indeed USAG, that much I know.
I also know that the coach sends a video to the camp/coaches/judges showing specific skills, and girls are chosen from that. (that's how this girl was chosen)
But here-in ends my knowledge ;)

As far as the cost, for DIC the parents pay for the camp and the travel expenses. The girls get about 20 hours of gymnastics instruction over the 3 day period. I noticed a significant difference in my daughter's skills and confidence after attending and can vouch for it being a very positive experience!

Well first off these are invitation only camps. Coaches, never parents, can submit video of a gymnast to the national team staff to be assessed.

Girls can be invited to these camps through TOPs Nat testing, TOPs camps and from the DIC, developmental invite camps that parents do pay for but are also invite only at this point. Girls have also been invited from meets including Hopes and elite testing.

Once in a while a gymmie gets to go because of a coach submitted video. I believe this is how Shawn Johnson came to the attention of the National team staff.

If a gymmie is invited to the camp I believe their costs are covered for the camp, but flights have to be paid for by the parent for both the gymmie and the coach. But I know we have experienced parents here who can shed more light on it, and perhaps more correctly.

Bog - you have stated it exactly correct!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back