Parents disaster at both privates

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

guest301

i am so sad at this moment. ok as you know my almost 5 year old got backbend standups on tne mat, back walkover and backhip circle the week before holidays. she will lose 2 weeks of classes because her classes are on mondays so monday for christmas and monday for new year. If she hant had her new tricks i would not worry about it extra classes. But because those things are new to her i paid for 2 30 mins classes just so she has a chance to practice her new things.

private #1. she was shy and very uptight. sometimes she acted like she hates it there. on the way home i asked her what was wrong and she said that her finger had tiny scratch. it didnt hurt herbut she ciuld see dry blood on the cratch probably from coiple of days ago. that night i gave her a bath and that crust went away making her happy. so the class was ok but she didnt do what she could do.

private #2. was today. came there, i asked if all her fingers and toes were ok, and she said they are fine. she was very cheerful and was talking about her new tricks all the time. the class started and she changed. stratching time came and she was just standing there starring at the floor. The coach tryed and tryed to make her change he mind but nothing worked. 5 mins late we were putting shoes on to go home. on the way home i asked dd what was wrong and she showed me loose finger nail. i am thinking, REALLY?!?
i am so sad that both time everything could be avoided by simply telling me about what was bothering her. i could not get a ward out of her back at the gym. she was happy as a clam after i took care of her fingers but wish she could just telll me back there at the gym.

I think that you are stressing and you don't really need to. Relax. She is young and will have many opportunities to learn and refine new skills. If she doesn't enjoy privates, why are you signing her up for them. Skip the privates. Class should be enough. Let her enjoy her class.

And btw, lots of little ones get uptight about scratches on fingers, etc....thats why kiddie design bandages are so popular!!!

She is only 4. Lot's of 4 year olds won't even go into a class by themselves never mind a private lesson.
In Australia it would be extremely rare to work those skills with an under 5 year old. She will get them when she is ready, she is 4 years old.

I agree with the others. She is 4. She is not ready for privates, nor does she need them. I'm very surprised the coach/gym would be willing to do a private with a 4 year old in rec classes. Just relax...the skills will come when they come.

She's 4 :). It should be about her having fun, not gaining or practicing skills (not "tricks", gymnastics skills are acquired by hard work and dedication!). Two weeks break will not make any difference to her gymnastics career :).

my dd is also 4. They spent this week's class playing games, races and being visited by Santa. The gym will shut completely for two weeks, and everyone will be back in the new year keen for more fun in gymnastics. Dd's class also don't work those skills, they're still rolling down cheese wedges :) older dd didn't get her back bend kickover until early this year, at 7- now she can do back walkover on high beam!!

thank you guys :) our gym allows privates with anyone. after her there was a little boy working on his cartwheel. it is half off price for privates. you guys are right. She did the tricks once and she will evantually do it again.

Even though your intentions were good, sounds like she is too young for a one-on-one practice. This is just my opinion, but sounds like she is doing great with new skills during class and if you continue to bring her to privates that she seems uninterested to participate she will end up looking like she is not mentally ready for team. Being mentally tough is important in team gymnastics and if that is your goal for her she could be viewed as not ready even if the skills are there.

Definitely it sounds like she isn't in to doing privates. My DD is very shy and would never have wanted to do that at age 4. I have found that when DD has time off (even when she was like 5) she always came back and got new skills quick. The rest does them good. If she is still in rec I'd advise not pressuring her to get skills or get them 100% of the time. There are plenty of years ahead of having to "get" a skill by a certain time and be ready to compete or move up. Let her enjoy not having such pressure or being on a time table to do certain things.

I agree with Wallflower about coming back from a "rest". The girls need some downtime! Since your DD is only going once a week, I know it sounds silly to talk about downtime, but still. Let her enjoy her time off. You now the old saying....absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Privates at 4 are absolutely not necessary! One of my dd's didn't start until almost 8 and had a total of 1 private in all of her gymnastics and she was was a great level 10. Relax:)

I thought doing back bends at this age was dangerous. If this is true I can't imagine that backbend stand ups or walk overs would be even harder on their little bodies:( It sounds like you daughter is talented and if she can do those skills she will continue to be able to do them despite time away from the gym. I would not worry at all about skills at this point as the others have said.

DD just had her first private ever this fall. She's 11, and even though she's a confident, mature 11 and has been on the team for three years, it was a little scary for her at first. Don't worry. After the break, your DD will return to her classes fresh and eager to get right back to it!

Everyone here has given good advice. I'll just say this: DD has been doing this for almost 5 years (between preteam and team) and if I have learned anything, it's that skills will come and go then return again. Getting a chance for a break is always good for them, especially the little ones. Your daughter will probably be very eager to get back after a rest and return to doing these skills in no time. Enjoy the break!

Don't be worried about her losing skills with a break . Sometimes a break is what they need to really get the skill solid . My DD is 8 and was trying to learn a toe circle jump to high bar for weeks.... Couldn't get it... Just stopped working it to work on routines and suddenly POW got it at an open gym after not trying it for weeks!

Save your money! She needs to learn the love the sport all on her own. If she feels she is being forced, she will just fight back or worst learn to hate the sport. Let her learn at her own pace and have fun. If it clicks and she becomes a gymnast great, if not, no big deal! She will find her passion. It took my older DD 9 years to find hers and it wasn't gymnastics after spending 8 years doing it. I can tell you she is a much more happy child now, then she was before.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back