WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The Ranch has to go. Burn it down and salt the earth with tears. We can presume that anyone who's been an elite since before Nassar's separation from USAG was a victim. No one should have to return to the place of a traumatic sexual injury in order to pursue elite athletic goals.

Not necessarily so...my daughter did her stint in elite around 2006-8 and went to the Ranch numerous times and "Larry" was there but according to her, she "didn't have any injuries so I didn't need to leave the cabins at night to be seen by him or Deb ( the AT that traveled with him)" so I think there are kids that went to the Ranch, did elite and weren't touched but it's definitely something to think about . I often wonder if his staff (the Debs etc) knew anything about what was happening as I can't imagine that they did but you never know.

I get that people whose kids are tracking on the elite path are saying it's all different , things have changed, the remote Ranch system works
but seriously, that's what those of us who sent our kids back in the day thought that too...it needs to be as transparent as possible going forward and being in the Houston National Forest at the same site of these horrors isn't it. When bad things happen at places, the response is to tear it down and put up a memorial or something similar...not to keep sending people back to the same site like nothing ever happened!

And this is my own 2 cents on this but I don't think Valeri and his style are what will get USAG the transparency it needs...the Atler accounts and the recent Ohashi blog tell you all you need to know on him. If I were USAG , I'd be begging Aimee Boorman to take over fast.

I don't know whether this has been posted - but this article shows the very unhealthy dynamic between Nassar, Twistars, MSU and USAG.

I also didn't know that Geddert had been charged with assault twice - 2 separate times - involving a parent and a gymnast but that Nassar had persuaded the victims to drop charges
http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...ssar-surrounded-enablers-abused-athletes-espn

There is so much dirt on Geddert that your head would spin, not just involving Nassar.

To me the Penn State analogy doesn't quite work here. Punishing USAG as a whole would be like if you shut down NCAA football as a whole over what Sandusky did and Paterno allowed. Instead, they punished the guilty branch. The athletes at Penn State had the option to transfer out and future athletes all still had plenty of perfectly good schools.

Here, shut down the Ranch, kick any lasting vestiges of the Karolyis out of USAG, revoke Geddert's and Twister's USAG credentials and make sure Minnesota State has no further intertwining with USAG. But no need to disband USAG as a whole.

It's Michigan State, not Minnesota State (Minnesota State doesn't even have a gymnastics team--only U of MN does)

There is so much dirt on Geddert that your head would spin, not just involving Nassar.

And yet, he still owns a successful gym and coaches, and hundreds of parents take their children to that gym every day. And gyms attend his meet and his summer camps. I cannot fathom it....I just cannot.

This is probably too much info, but this weekend we actually competed against the top level 3s from Twistars. They performed beautifully and swept the awards. My daughter said later, “where is that gym? Oh Michigan, if we move there, can I go to that gym?” I said “absolutely not! And then told her why.”

And yet, he still owns a successful gym and coaches, and hundreds of parents take their children to that gym every day. And gyms attend his meet and his summer camps. I cannot fathom it....I just cannot.

This is probably too much info, but this weekend we actually competed against the top level 3s from Twistars. They performed beautifully and swept the awards. My daughter said later, “where is that gym? Oh Michigan, if we move there, can I go to that gym?” I said “absolutely not! And then told her why.”

Agreed! Although this year was the smallest invite they have hosted in years. If you move to Mich, I'm sure the community here can find you a suitable option.

My husbands alma mater is Michigan State. Had we not moved, there is a very good chance my kiddo could have landed at Twistars. So very thankful we don’t live anywhere near there anymore.

Yep...our gym attends this meet. I have told the coach that I would not give any more of my money to Geddert and that my dd will not attend the meet next year. Our coach agreed and stated that our gym will not go to the meet again. (not because of me but they had already reached this conclusion)

Wow, watching ESPN Outside the Lines report, and apparently the earliest report of abuse was by an MSU gymnast to her coach in 1997, freaking 1997!!!!! I don’t know how Kathy Klagis sleeps at night. She could have prevented two decades of abuse! Sickening. This woman needs to be held accountable!

Tumbletimes,

I agree. I read the Outside the Lines article and kept thinking she should be charged criminally!! Seriously!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back