WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I haven’t watched it all, but what I have watched is heartbreaking, I’ve been in tears the whole time and I don’t normally cry easily.
I think the women are incredibly brave for what they are doing and hope they find some healing in being able to confront the monster and a chance for their voice to be heard.

Couple of thoughts I had over the evening after listening to the trial.

1. are the Karolyi's or any of the coaches/officials in question at the hearings? If they are not - someone needs to drag their sorry a**es down to that court house so they can listen to what they have turned a blind eye to for over 20 years.

2. I was talking to a friend who knows nothing about gymnastics - or this case until I brought it up to him last night. His first comment was "You SHOULD be angry, and the Olympics should not allow this organization to compete until they clean up this mess".
- This intrigued me because I never thought of an outside USAG governing body being able to take a stand against USAG. But it would certainly put pressure on them. I think more so then the lost sponsorship's.

I do agree that a lot of parents have no idea about any Geddert involvement (most around here seem to know at least some details regarding Nassar). The other day a mom from another gym sent me a message that she was going to send her daughter to Twistars summer camp and was I interested. I told her absolutely not, and explained why, and she had no idea. I guess the thing that gets me a lot is that so many parents keep sending their kids to that gym. I truly don’t mean to offend anyone, and I understand it’s the most successful gym in Michigan, but I still don’t get it.

Like you, I have been appealed by Geddert's behavior/involvement in this mess and baffled as to why anyone would continue to send their child to that gym. But then I heard a bit of a different perspective on today's episode of Gymcastic. Jessica mentioned that the podcast has heard from parents who are disgusted by John Geddert but continue send their kids to Twistars because their kids have no contact with Geddert and are coached by other great, positive coaches. I imagine that is a tough spot to be in as a parent as there is only one other gym in the Lansing area, which itself had a coach arrested for sexual assault last year. Seems to me like one of those other good coaches should open up their own gym and let Twistars go under...

Like you, I have been appealed by Geddert's behavior/involvement in this mess and baffled as to why anyone would continue to send their child to that gym. But then I heard a bit of a different perspective on today's episode of Gymcastic. Jessica mentioned that the podcast has heard from parents who are disgusted by John Geddert but continue send their kids to Twistars because their kids have no contact with Geddert and are coached by other great, positive coaches. I imagine that is a tough spot to be in as a parent as there is only one other gym in the Lansing area, which itself had a coach arrested for sexual assault last year. Seems to me like one of those other good coaches should open up their own gym and let Twistars go under...

The gym is for sale.

Thank you for that perspective. Yes, that must be a tough spot.

The gym is for sale.

I hadn't heard this. I will be beyond thrilled if Geddert can no longer profit from being an enabler...and also a bully.
But that being said, I feel so sad for all of the gymnasts there who have worked incredibly hard all of these years, put so much into their dreams. I know so many at Twistars have an Elite dream that is likely being altered - we could have been on of those families. This whole situation is so unfair to everyone affected, but never asked to be. If you're not from around here, it's probably hard to understand how deep the wounds are (obviously most deeply for all of the girls that Nassar assaulted) for our entire community. The slap in the face to everyone who ever gave a dime to Nassar, Geddert, and MSU has been hard to wrap my mind around. We are one of the lucky families because I'm just angry and insulted, but at least my dd wasn't violated. I can't imagine what others are going through, especially the families there. I imagine it's a tough decision to leave or stay, and I'm glad I don't have to make it.

I feel it is imperative I watch. Because my kid has questions....and wants answers. Now am I letting her watch?
Oh hell no.
We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Guy is scum. Going to rot in jail (finally). Many adults didn’t do the right thing. This is what we/you do to make sure you are safe/protected.

More then enough info out there. No need to watch.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back