Parents Dislocated Patella anyone?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ZJsMom

Proud Parent
So DS's meet at regionals didn't end well. After three events, he injured his knee during vault warmups. He dislocated the knee cap. There was actually an ortho at the meet who relocated it on the spot. The medics sent us to the local emergency room. The took x-rays, which were clear, and told us to follow up with our ortho at home.

We have an appointment with the orth tomorrow. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone had experience with this and how long it took to rehab.

Thanks!

Oh no!!I was wondering how things had gone for him but this is not what I wanted to hear. No experience here, but hope you get some good news tomorrow

Thanks all. I'm trying to see if we can get him petitioned to Nationals, but I'm not sure if it's realistic to think he'll be ready to land on that knee in a month.

Argh!!! So frustrated for him. All I know about patella dislocations is that they vary in severity. Hope he can heal quickly!

Oh, no. I'm so sorry. I saw your other post, and would feel exactly the same - grateful that it was 'just a leg' in that moment.

I don't have specific experience with that kind of injury, though, my layman guess says it will probably need more time to heal and rehab safely beyond the timeline for nationals. Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

Ds dislocated his a couple years back. He ended up on crutches for a week then in a brace to keep it in place while the tendons/ligaments tightened up. Start to finish (completely back in the gym) was about 6 weeks. BUT his wasn't a traumatic dislocation so there was no other damage.

Hope today's appt goes well.

He didn't have any ligament damage. The doctor said 4-6 weeks until he's 100%. He started PT right away, so he's on the way. We met with his coach and decided not to petition to Nationals, so he's just doing conditioning and rehab and looking forward to summer skill training.

I am so glad to hear that! It sounds like he has a plan for training, and will come back stronger than ever after that!

He didn't have any ligament damage. The doctor said 4-6 weeks until he's 100%. He started PT right away, so he's on the way. We met with his coach and decided not to petition to Nationals, so he's just doing conditioning and rehab and looking forward to summer skill training.
So glad it was minor. But the decision to let it heal is great too! Something minor will stay minor!!!
He will bounce back quickly!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back