WAG Disturbing article (IndyStar Article on USA Gymnastics Enabling Sexual Abuse)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I understand the need for caution in making allegations of sexual abuse and investigating the source of the complaints (i.e. USAG's policy of needing complaints to come from the victim or victim's family). Rivals will do some crazy things...when I was in figure skating, coaches who were competition for other people's students would try to call immigration services to get other coaches deported. At my gym, recently a coach reported suspected sexual abuse (not sure if it was by a coach or someone else in the child's life) - allegation turned out to be untrue and there was a huge mess for our gym and for the child and their family. But STILL, everything notwithstanding, you REPORT, REPORT, REPORT. Report to the police. And if you report to USAG, they have GOT to investigate it - or if they don't have the resources, delegate it to law enforcement. As far as the bad image of the sport goes (which I know USAG cares about) 1) doesn't matter as much as children's safety and 2) there won't be much press until the indictment anyway, at which point it's more than just a hearsay situation.

I imagine USAG hesitates to take action because of not wanting to make false allegations or have this stuff come out in the media and make this sport look bad. But every time it comes out that an abusive coach was arrested and charged, or banned from coaching, that should be a strike in FAVOR of gymnastics and USAG - since it means that they are on top of things and ensuring that young gymnasts are protected. And we should definitely be more comfortable with excessive investigation of reports that turn out to be false, than with no investigations at all.

As a victim of childhood sexual abuse, the article made me physically ill. I'm honestly shocked that USAG had been notified and did nothing. I'm glad it's coming out now, might put pressure on USAG to better respond to complaints.

My question is....why would these people's FIRST response be to go to USAG??? If I suspected a fellow coach/co-worker to be sexually abusive and had reason to believe it were true...the first place I would think about contacting is the police!! I wouldn't just casually email the directors of USAG about something as serious as this.

This subject is so sad and tricky because I HATE the fact that people even question others about reporting this...but at the same time, this type of accusation can RUIN someone's life (if untrue), and I feel like the police should be involved before USAG. I'm not saying it shouldn't be reported, because I 100% think it should be. But I think the police is certainly more effective than USAG. What can USAG even do w/o involving the police?? They're not going to revoke someone's professional membership off of he-said-she-said accusations. I'm not totally defending them, though. I do think if they had a tip that something was going on that they should have investigated it further....I guess I'm just confused as to why the other coaches/owners thought the best place to go first was USAG....

Here, they are mandated reporters. D started coaching this summer and had to take the mandated reporting class. So all coaches, even teens, are mandated reporters.
In some states, they are. In other states (including mine), they are NOT unless they have another job in which they are. Since two of our coaches also coach the high school and Jr. high team, they would be mandated reporters. I am a mandated reporter based on two of my jobs.
I wish all states would make coaches mandated reporters OR that all these ppl in the article that had contacted USAG would have grown a set and made the report (even anonymously)... Especially the one in which USAG let them know that they were waiting on a parent/athlete report. When they didn't hear any further, they definitely should have reported.

What a sickening article. I just don't understand why complaints weren't reported directly to the police. Report to police THEN report to USAG if necessary. I get that false accusations can be devastating to a coaches life and career, but I also know that any honest coach is happy to go to whatever lengths necessary to ensure their athletes are safe and they are following all of the best practices. So in a case where a false allegation were to arise, the accuser wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I think it's always better to err on the side of caution and let the police sort it out, let the people actually trained to do that work do their job- not a corporation.

While I 100% agree that you go to the police first I think that part of the problem is the fact that these are such serious allegations and sometimes society is quick to judge the victim. Is she a CGM who thinks her daughter has been passed over? Will another gym take the child if they think that she stirs up allegations? Is it a competition thing? Lots of times victims only goal is to have the abuse end. They want the person to stop so they can move on with their lives. Look at how the media treats victims. Look at the judgement. Think about reliving the most horrible experience of your life over and over in the media, in the courtroom, etc.. I am not saying that any of this justifies not holding the abuser accountable in the criminal courts but I do think that these are tricky issues. Most times it is going to be based on the word of a minor and that's a lot to put on that minor's shoulders. I think that reporting just to USAG was a way to try to lessen some of this burden while still having the consequence of the coach being banned from USAG. Abuse stops, accountablity no messy trial. But unfortunately USAG's policy protected the brand and the alleged abuser. USAG needs an aggressive policy which involves law enforcement right away to protect the victim.

I think you need to be very careful making such a statement on a public forum. You do not know this to be a fact; you did not witness this abuse or hear it directly from the alleged victim(s). Based on your prior post, you're also making it very clear exactly who did share this with you and that is a pretty slippery slope as well.

Not saying it did or didn't happen, but legally this is pushing the boundary of hearsay and/or slander. Not to mention it starts a speculative conversation on "which 5" were involved. It is a very small # of girls since your statement limits this to Olympians and I think it's pretty unfair to throw them into the limelight in this way.
Was that comment used as an example and not actually a statement of fact?

Was that comment used as an example and not actually a statement of fact?
I don't know how it was intended, but it seemed to be a statement of fact that was learned "yesterday" due to personal interaction with a former Olympian.

Ok so apparently I can't edit or delete the comment....can an admin please assist?

Again, I obviously in no way intended to cause anything negative or harmful, I just tried to use something as an example and clearly it was poor judgement on my part. So I apologize.

If an admin can help me edit or delete that comment it would be greatly appreciated.

Ok so apparently I can't edit or delete the comment....can an admin please assist?

Again, I obviously in no way intended to cause anything negative or harmful, I just tried to use something as an example and clearly it was poor judgement on my part. So I apologize.

If an admin can help me edit or delete that comment it would be greatly appreciated.
@bogwoppit -- can you help here?

I think the whole back and forth above illustrates pretty clearly why things stay silent. Even a triple anonymous comment (I don't know the person who made it here, the alleged perpetrator of abuse, or the people having suffered the abuse) on here gets people up in arms. Imagine having a pretty good idea that someone you work with needs to be called out- not proof but a pretty good idea. It puts you in a rough position.

When we lived in NY I was a mandatory reporter as a probation officer. I came to have solid knowledge through my life on base that a child was being physically abused. I jumped through numerous hoops to report it (child lived in a different city), and it was never even investigated. On top of that, I had a private conversation where my boss asked why in the world I didn't report anonymously and move on. I got pulled into a whole mess and nothing changed at all.

I think the whole back and forth above illustrates pretty clearly why things stay silent. Even a triple anonymous comment (I don't know the person who made it here, the alleged perpetrator of abuse, or the people having suffered the abuse) on here gets people up in arms. Imagine having a pretty good idea that someone you work with needs to be called out- not proof but a pretty good idea. It puts you in a rough position.

When we lived in NY I was a mandatory reporter as a probation officer. I came to have solid knowledge through my life on base that a child was being physically abused. I jumped through numerous hoops to report it (child lived in a different city), and it was never even investigated. On top of that, I had a private conversation where my boss asked why in the world I didn't report anonymously and move on. I got pulled into a whole mess and nothing changed at all.
To the bolded, I was so much trying to express this but couldn't find the words. You nailed it right on the head.

I guess that I can see the point about it being a statement that is a concern if you are talking about 5 members of the current Olympic team. I mean... you have 5 and 3 alternates or you have 5 actual team... so that is very specific as to who the victims are. If you meant 5 Olympic team members EVER or in recent history, well that is a much larger pool and doesn't put the current 8 girls in a spotlight that they might not want to be in. I will admit that I first read it as our current team; but started wondering if you meant over the last 20 years or so.

I was in a position of caring for an abused child who was then abusing her younger sibling ( both in early elementary school). As I physically protected the younger, the older got so mad a me for stepping in that she threatened to tell that I was abusing her. Luckily, the other adults believed me, but it would have been her word against mine.

I was afraid for my reputation and livelihood. She could have ruined my life.

Reactions: sce
I guess that I can see the point about it being a statement that is a concern if you are talking about 5 members of the current Olympic team. I mean... you have 5 and 3 alternates or you have 5 actual team... so that is very specific as to who the victims are. If you meant 5 Olympic team members EVER or in recent history, well that is a much larger pool and doesn't put the current 8 girls in a spotlight that they might not want to be in. I will admit that I first read it as our current team; but started wondering if you meant over the last 20 years or so.

Yikes! Definitely not the current Olympic team, that wouldn't have been very "vague" at all.

I'm still totally ok with my comment being deleted or edited by an admin, I do think however, that hopefully we can all agree, as @MILgymFAM mentioned, it's understandable why things are kept under wraps, not that ANY of us are ok with that, it's just a sad reality....and it needs to change.

I was in a position of caring for an abused child who was then abusing her younger sibling ( both in early elementary school). As I physically protected the younger, the older got so mad a me for stepping in that she threatened to tell that I was abusing her. Luckily, the other adults believed me, but it would have been her word against mine.

I was afraid for my reputation and livelihood. She could have ruined my life.
Yikes.

It's all really not anonymous either -- certainly not a triple blind comment. This board is public (you only have to be a member to post, but anyone can read it). The Olympian in question is a public figure; her speaking schedule isn't all that hard to find either. It doesn't take much connecting of dots from there to lead back to the source. And if we're talking 5 Olympians from the past 20 yrs, it really isn't that many people when you break it down due to the Olympics only being every 4 yrs and there are several repeat Olympians among that group.

Not trying to create drama here. Abuse is inexcusable and should be dealt with in a much better way. But I also don't think anyone here should think they're anonymous -- that clearly isn't true.

It's all really not anonymous either -- certainly not a triple blind comment. This board is public (you only have to be a member to post, but anyone can read it). The Olympian in question is a public figure; her speaking schedule isn't all that hard to find either. It doesn't take much connecting of dots from there to lead back to the source. And if we're talking 5 Olympians from the past 20 yrs, it really isn't that many people when you break it down due to the Olympics only being every 4 yrs and there are several repeat Olympians among that group.

Not trying to create drama here. Abuse is inexcusable and should be dealt with in a much better way. But I also don't think anyone here should think they're anonymous -- that clearly isn't true.

I don't think you're starting drama, in fact I think you're doing your best to ensure that drama is avoided, and I am thankful for that. I've admitted that I shared something I shouldn't have, I take full responsibility for that. I was trying to be respectful with what I mentioned, but it didn't come across that way and I'm completely apologetic about that. Hopefully my comment can be deleted sometime soon.

Yes we know the person who posted here and in assuming that we could find out who she is in real life if we wanted to. I know the person who told her that story. I do not know which Olympians to which she was referring and I don't know the person (or even have a guess as a casual reader) of who the accused is. I dot think it comes close to being an actual allegation against anyone, slanderous or true.

This all sounds like a sad rerun of years of abuse being ignored and brushed aside in USA Swimming. Google that mess over the past 40 years. Sadly, many of the players who ignored and enabled are still in power at USA Swimming. Bottom line is, be very careful about allowing your child to travel without you, do not leave your child alone with a coach (watch private lessons). Many of these kids start experiencing abuse at very young ages, and many of them are never the same again. There should always be 2 adults present in the gym, and a coach should never be alone with a child with a closed door.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back