WAG Div I NCAA Walk-On Offer Info

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It is a verbal; worth as much the paper its printed on. A ton of things can happen between now and then. She hasn't even taken a single college admission test or pre-test; she has no academic record; she has to be able to last another 4 years as a level 10. My bet - 50-50 she actually goes to LSU.

Sometimes I think these kids just say "I am going to LSU" and that gets spread around as a verbal commit when in fact there hasn't been a bit of communication with the college (because there can't be) other than going to a summer camp.

I agree sometimes it is a kid just saying "I'm going to LSU". The NCAA coach is not allowed to comment publicly about a recruit until they sign a NLI or fill out financial aid paper work their senior year, so you have to take the kids word on it. But there can be and is communication between the gymnast and NCAA coach. It can be on campus, done through the the club coach or the gymnast can call the NCAA coach. All 3 of these happen regularly. 8th grade gymnasts are visiting colleges this fall. Football game weekends are a big recruiting opportunity for gymnasts with their families. NCAA coaches are offering scholarships to 8th grade kids and some do verbally commit. One of the many odd things about an 8th grade committing is if a gymnast is at the level to be considered that early in their career they would likely have numerous opportunities. So the only advantage is for the college. There are very few gymnasts who have trouble academically or with college board testing. Look at the list of GPA's of the NCAA gymnastic teams. These are some of the best student-athletes in each University. So even though the kid hasn't taken a high high school class the assumption is that this kid will not have any difficulty with the school work.

The gym-style websites are purchased by the athlete/family. They are just a website company. They are not promoting anyone, the athlete is looking for exposure. Some people are just getting a jump on things I guess. This got me thinking of some of the things I see at our club.

Speaking to some of the parents in our club during the recruitment process, they have expressed how important it is to get going early getting your dd's name out there and her gymnastics in front of the right people. This isn't to try to get a very early verbal commitment either, this advice is coming from schools who are looking several years out. What they are finding is that even if verbals aren't handed out they already have the group of kids they have identified to keep an eye on for a given year figured out several years in advance. Not that it is impossible to get noticed after that, but it is more of a fight. This is especially true if you are targeting a specific school. You need to be going to their camp and getting your child's videos in front of them sooner than you might think.

I know that our gym also tailors our optional competition schedule to cater to what the kids need that year as far as exposure goes. Some years they choose less exposure for various reasons, some years big exposure for other reasons. This year we have several kids in prime recruiting situations so I assume we will be attending meets known to have lots of college coaches there. It makes a big difference if your coach is actively pursuing those avenues for their athletes. This summer we had several college coaches into our gym to observe practice. I made sure my dd knew that although they were there for the few at that age, they would for sure be looking at the younger girls too to see if this is a program to keep an eye on or if there is someone they want to watch as they develop.

Reading this thread certainly makes you think hard about all of it. I know a college scholarship is definitely one of my daughters goals and her coach puts a lot of emphasis on gaining access to an educational experience you may never get otherwise. The girls all know about the recruiting process and he educates them on what they need to do to get there. Until now, it never crossed my mind that that wouldn't be an amazing experience for her. I will now be much more thoughtful about the process should we make it that far, for sure.

I have one question. Can someone explain what a "head count" sport is? I saw that there are only like five sports (women's gymnastics being one of them) considered head count sports and every other sport gets a pool of money they can distribute to their athletes as they wish, but I didn't see what being a head count sport means as far as how they distribute the money or other requirements or benefits.

What are some of the known meets that college coaches attend??

Walk ons at my dd's school are treated just the same as scholarship kids, but they do not receive money. They get the same tutoring assistance, they get the priority when it comes to registering for classes and other academic support as well. They get all of the same gear too. Being a walk on does have it advantages at the school.
so, how does one become a 'walk on'? I would think the girl still has to make herself known in the same way the 'non walk on's' do. How do they go about this?

What are some of the known meets that college coaches attend??
I am not a coach and we don't have our schedule yet, but some meets that I have heard college coaches being at... Like others have said, Chicago style - also Alamo classic, lady luck, pikes peak, Scega, woga etc. of course, nastia liukin cup if you can get someone qualified. Nationals, of course is the most obvious. We aren't on the east coast so I don't know about meets out there. I'm sure there are many as well.

I think it depends on the year too. You have to research and coaches would really know best. Like last year pikes peak was a nastia liukin cup qualifier and if you looked at the teams attending the premier level 10 session was packed with the big names. I would think that would draw college coaches. This year, not sure.

Again, I am not a coach. I trust and know that our coaches are talking with college coaches and researching in depth what the best meets for us to go to are. With that said, I would be looking at very big invitationals, meets with elite qualifiers and nastia liukin cup qualifiers. The latter two change from year to year.

What are the meets in these cities/states that are Nastia qualifiers?
  • Atlanta Crown Invitational, Atlanta, Ga., Jan. 8-10 (1 Jr., 1 Sr.)
  • Twistars Invitational, Dimondale, Mich., Jan 8-10 (1 Jr.)
  • Legacy Elite Winter Classic, Chicago, Ill., Jan 8-10 (1 Sr.)
  • Brestyan's Invitational, Medford, Mass., Jan. 15-17 (1 Jr.)
  • CGA Coaches' Spectacular, Cincinnati, Ohio, Jan. 15-17 (1 Sr.)
  • Lady Luck Invitational, Las Vegas, Nev., Jan. 15-17 (1 Jr., 1 Sr.)
  • Star Struck Invitational, Atlantic City, N.J., Jan. 15-17 (1 Sr.)
  • Tampa Bay Turners Invitational, Bradenton, Fla., Jan. 15-17 (1 Jr.)
  • Texas Prime, Irving, Texas, Jan. 15-17 (1 Jr., 1 Sr.)
  • Alamo Classic, San Antonio, Texas, Jan. 22-24 (1 Jr.)
  • Sand Dollar Invitational, Orlando, Fla., Jan. 22-24 (1 Jr., 1 Sr.)
  • Chow's Challenge, Galveston, Texas, Jan. 29-31 (1 Jr.)
  • Fiesta Bowl, Chandler, Ariz., Jan. 29-31 (1 Sr.)
  • Wisconsin Dells Gymnastics Vacation Classic, Wisconsin Dells, Wis., Jan. 29-31 (1 Sr.)
  • Circle of Stars, Indianapolis, Ind., Jan. 29-31 (1 Jr., 1 Sr.)
  • Classic Rock Invitational, Phoenix, Ariz., Feb. 5-7 (1 Jr., 1 Sr.)
  • Buckeye Classic, Columbus, Ohio, Feb. 5-7 (1 Jr., 1 Sr.)
  • Charity Choice Invitational, Tacoma, Wash., Feb. 5-7 (1 Sr.)
  • Pikes Peak Cup, Colorado Springs, Colo., Feb. 5-7 (1 Jr., 1 Sr.)
  • Magical Classic, Orlando, Fla., Feb. 12-13 (1 Jr.)
  • Chicago Style, Chicago, Ill., Feb. 12-14 (1 Jr., 1 Sr.)
  • Excalibur Cup, Virginia Beach, Va., Feb. 12-14 (1 Jr.)
  • Greensboro Gymnastics Invitational, Greensboro, N.C., Feb. 12-14 (1 Sr.)
  • Presidential Classic, Orlando, Fla., Feb. 12-15 (1 Jr., 1 Sr.)
  • WOGA Classic, Frisco, Texas, Feb. 12-14 (1 Jr., 1 Sr.)

https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=17104

It is a verbal; worth as much the paper its printed on. A ton of things can happen between now and then. She hasn't even taken a single college admission test or pre-test; she has no academic record; she has to be able to last another 4 years as a level 10. My bet - 50-50 she actually goes to LSU.

Sometimes I think these kids just say "I am going to LSU" and that gets spread around as a verbal commit when in fact there hasn't been a bit of communication with the college (because there can't be) other than going to a summer camp.

While I agree that these verbal commits are worth next to nothing, I really hope that you don't believe that there is no communication between the NCAA coaches and these young athletes. They are simply not allowed to *initiate* contact. If the recruit calls the coach and happens to get them to answer the phone, they can talk. The coaches are in and out of the top gyms All summer long. Most are looking for kids graduating 2018 and later. We had interest from some of the top NCAA schools in kids as young as 11 and 12 this summer.

Do I think that the age of these recruits is completely ridiculous? Yes. Do I agree that many of them won't even end up at the schools that they are verbally committing to? You betcha. However, I am not naive enough to think that it isn't happening just because there are rules in place that are supposed to be preventing it.

So on that website under her name it says, "Full-ride" to LSU. Isn't that a bit premature??

I agree sometimes it is a kid just saying "I'm going to LSU". The NCAA coach is not allowed to comment publicly about a recruit until they sign a NLI or fill out financial aid paper work their senior year, so you have to take the kids word on it. But there can be and is communication between the gymnast and NCAA coach. It can be on campus, done through the the club coach or the gymnast can call the NCAA coach. All 3 of these happen regularly. 8th grade gymnasts are visiting colleges this fall. Football game weekends are a big recruiting opportunity for gymnasts with their families. NCAA coaches are offering scholarships to 8th grade kids and some do verbally commit. One of the many odd things about an 8th grade committing is if a gymnast is at the level to be considered that early in their career they would likely have numerous opportunities. So the only advantage is for the college. There are very few gymnasts who have trouble academically or with college board testing. Look at the list of GPA's of the NCAA gymnastic teams. These are some of the best student-athletes in each University. So even though the kid hasn't taken a high high school class the assumption is that this kid will not have any difficulty with the school work.
Seems like it must be real if the family posted on the gymnast's website.

I think it does say LSU in two places on the gymnast's website.

I can see what you are saying. Let me break it down. What I meant was her website says she received a "full ride scholarship to LSU". So in response to Mish's statement about being premature, I did not think it was premature since she WAS offered a full ride scholarship to LSU. So the gymnast is not premature in stating she was offered a full ride because she was offered a full ride. Then I further explained that it would have been premature if she stated she was going, by going I meant PHYSICALLY going, to LSU. If she stated "I am going to LSU", that would have been premature because she has not been admitted to the school yet and that won't happen for another five years. But again she was offered a full ride scholarship and to state that is not premature. Does that make sense. If not, it is ok. I was just being tongue and cheek.

I can see what you are saying. Let me break it down. What I meant was her website says she received a "full ride scholarship to LSU". So in response to Mish's statement about being premature, I did not think it was premature since she WAS offered a full ride scholarship to LSU. So the gymnast is not premature in stating she was offered a full ride because she was offered a full ride. Then I further explained that it would have been premature if she stated she was going, by going I meant PHYSICALLY going, to LSU. If she stated "I am going to LSU", that would have been premature because she has not been admitted to the school yet and that won't happen for another five years. But again she was offered a full ride scholarship and to state that is not premature. Does that make sense. If not, it is ok. I was just being tongue and cheek.
sorry, thanks for understanding my misunderstanding and setting me straight!

I guess. I just meant that it seems premature to announce when so much can change from 8th grade on. But my daughter just turned 8, Level 4, so I have a long way to go!

I guess. I just meant that it seems premature to announce when so much can change from 8th grade on. But my daughter just turned 8, Level 4, so I have a long way to go!

It's a source of pride for the gymnast and their family.. it sounds better than saying: "If all goes well and I don't get injury or quit gymnastics, or the school finds someone better and withdraws my verbal offer, I will be going to LSU in 5 years! "

maybe the school asks the gymnasts to put it out there that they already accepted a verbal commitment so other schools will stop recruiting them.

I know nothing about how walk-on sports works. But I do know something about colleges in general. Do not, ever, assume that you will be paying "sticker price". There are other scholarships and grants besides those tied to the athletics department. Even if you think that you are outside of the realm of need-based aid (and you would be surprised at how high that can go), there are other sources of funding to explore. They may take a bit of work (essays, interviews, applications and such) but there are a ton of sources out there if you look. Especially if this if a private school. But even state schools have gobs of private scholarships available -- I know because I help write them.
can you help with this question.......I saw something on a thread that pertained to Ivies that the coaches can help an applicant with admittance. do you know if that is true for non-ivies.

The other thread said:
Coaches can have a significant amount of pull if they really want a kid. You are correct in that they have a limited # of applications they can support, but that number is not set in stone and can vary by school, sport, and year. This would be something to ask the coaches.

can you help with this question.......I saw something on a thread that pertained to Ivies that the coaches can help an applicant with admittance. do you know if that is true for non-ivies.

The other thread said:
Coaches can have a significant amount of pull if they really want a kid. You are correct in that they have a limited # of applications they can support, but that number is not set in stone and can vary by school, sport, and year. This would be something to ask the coaches.

Yes, coaches definitely can and have helped athletes admittance to a school they may have not gotten into in the first place whether it is an Ivy League or non-Ivy. I won't go into detail of my experience because I know of too many situations personal and otherwise (both Ivy and non Ivy) of student athletes who have gained admittance via sports related qualifications. But make no mistake, the athlete must at least be close to the schools admission requirements. For a more concrete answer, pull up the link below. You will find others. Our high school uses Naviance.com. The link below will have a graph of what the school requires for admission, all its applicants, their SAT scores, GPAs and which applicants were admitted, denied and which ones actually went to the school. Occasionally, you will see a couple applicants being admitted that fall below the school's requirements and there is that rare ocassion that one applicant falls far below but is admitted. While it does not state exactly if this applicant was accepted due to sports qualifications, you can on surmise it is that or perhaps the family knows a very influential member of the board of the school (we've seen this happen too).

http://www.collegedata.com/cs/admissions/admissions_tracker.jhtml

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back