Parents Do any of you do two gyms for your kids?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all.

My DD is a current L4 gymnast at a new gym. She started gymnastics when she was 4. We switched gyms after 3.5 years last fall. She loves her new gym (whereas I ... like it ok) and her teammates and we are not in any way ready to move her anywhere else.

So, her new gym is nearly an hour away. We have several gyms closer to home (we've checked out all but one), including our "old gym", which is naturally the closest to home.

DS loves gymnastics. He misses the "old gym" with his former coach. If I'm honest, I miss his former coach. Unfortunately, I know he's nearly done with college, and I'm not sure how long he'll stick around there, so I'd hate to take DS back there just to find his favorite coach is gone/leaving.

DS has only ever done tot or regular rec classes so far (he's only 5). He says he wants to do team someday like big sis, but really, I don't think he understands that yet. He also says he's going to be a ninja and join the Lego Ninjago team. :) He's a bundle of energy that admittedly has difficulty staying on task in class if he has to wait at all (and he'll lap other kids on the circuit if he's not watched).

So what's the deal, you ask? DD's gym has two campuses. With the move to level 4, she just moved over to their "girls gym". This gym is primarily used for girls team members, but has a few rec classes, too. Not nearly as many as the other gym, which has most of the rec classes, and all of the boys teams.

So, naturally, none of the tot classes for DS jive with DD's schedule at the girls gym. I have to admit I just might go a little bit crazy if I had to drive there a fifth day each week for DS to take a 40-min rec class there. I don't know that I could justify it. So, I gave him the summer off, weighing my options. He's already begging to get back into class again.

Anyway - theoretically, if DS should end up a team gymmie someday like big sister, he'd be in a different gym no matter what. Would it be awful of me if we chose to put him someplace closer to home for his tot classes for my peace of mind? To be honest I'd almost feel like I was cheating. And I'm not really exaggerating. We're a loyal group here as long as we're treated ok.

Have any of you tried to balance kids in two different gyms?

Two different kids, and two different paths to follow. Why feel guilty? If dd's gym wants to "stake a claim" on ds, will they also require that you add a new member to your family to support the gym even further?

Do what's right for your son and your family. If dd's gym needs another student that bad........

There was a thread a while back from a mom with two girls, both on team, at two different gyms. It may be worth your while to search for it.

Since you are not talking about him being ready for team yet it is a no-brainer. Put him anywhere you want for rec. It's not like you are already over there and purposefully crossing the street to spend money somewhere else. Put him two or three places. It's rec.

I agree--put him somewhere close for his rec classes. If it's got a good boys' program, that's a plus (since they can suggest whether he's be good for team or not--when he gets to that point). No sense in driving an hour for a rec 40 min class! Our gym doesn't have a boys team, so those that have boys and girls on team have to go to two separate gyms (or pull out of our gym, of course).

Hi all.

My DD is a current L4 gymnast at a new gym. She started gymnastics when she was 4. We switched gyms after 3.5 years last fall. She loves her new gym (whereas I ... like it ok) and her teammates and we are not in any way ready to move her anywhere else.

So, her new gym is nearly an hour away. We have several gyms closer to home (we've checked out all but one), including our "old gym", which is naturally the closest to home.

DS loves gymnastics. He misses the "old gym" with his former coach. If I'm honest, I miss his former coach. Unfortunately, I know he's nearly done with college, and I'm not sure how long he'll stick around there, so I'd hate to take DS back there just to find his favorite coach is gone/leaving.

DS has only ever done tot or regular rec classes so far (he's only 5). He says he wants to do team someday like big sis, but really, I don't think he understands that yet. He also says he's going to be a ninja and join the Lego Ninjago team. :) He's a bundle of energy that admittedly has difficulty staying on task in class if he has to wait at all (and he'll lap other kids on the circuit if he's not watched).

So what's the deal, you ask? DD's gym has two campuses. With the move to level 4, she just moved over to their "girls gym". This gym is primarily used for girls team members, but has a few rec classes, too. Not nearly as many as the other gym, which has most of the rec classes, and all of the boys teams.

So, naturally, none of the tot classes for DS jive with DD's schedule at the girls gym. I have to admit I just might go a little bit crazy if I had to drive there a fifth day each week for DS to take a 40-min rec class there. I don't know that I could justify it. So, I gave him the summer off, weighing my options. He's already begging to get back into class again.

Anyway - theoretically, if DS should end up a team gymmie someday like big sister, he'd be in a different gym no matter what. Would it be awful of me if we chose to put him someplace closer to home for his tot classes for my peace of mind? To be honest I'd almost feel like I was cheating. And I'm not really exaggerating. We're a loyal group here as long as we're treated ok.

Have any of you tried to balance kids in two different gyms?

Yes, I've got two girls in two separate gyms. Each gym meets that child's needs. You can definitely do it without feeling guilty.

I did for a year. Oldest dd moved to a very good gym about 25 minutes from us. Youngest dd wanted to start gymnastics. I couldn't find a class that coincided with older dd at the new gym, so I signed up younger dd at a gym closer to my house. After a year it because obvious to me that she was just as good as older dd, so I moved her over to the same gym as my oldest. It did feel funny, but if the schedule doesn't work out for you there, especially with boy/girl, then I would not hesitate to try somewhere else.

Don't feel bad in the least. You're doing what's right for your ds and the family by taking him to a gym close by. In a few years he may want more gymnastics and then you can decide if going to dd's gym is what would work. Of course by then he may be a ninja and not care:)

Thank you everyone, all of your feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm glad to 'hear' we aren't alone. :) I do feel just a bit bad that I hadn't even considered DS at all when we switched gyms.

I think I know which gym I'd like DS to try for the fall - it'll save me about an hour of driving total and still has a good reputation.

I did the same thing. It was actually nice for a change of scenery, too. It was similar reasons too. Don't feel guilty doing what's best for your family! And it will be best for your family if you are unhappy driving all that distance five days a week!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back