Anon Do I stay in gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
A

Anonymous (b9aa)

I’m trying to decide wether or not to stay anode year. I was a late joiner to gymnastics. Last year I graduated high school and I stayed this year just for fun. I ended up switching coaches for my last year do to a coaching problem. My old coach didn’t teach me great basics to put it simple and my new coach has gone back and fixed a lot of those problems. She offered me to stay another year if I would like just cause I have finally fixed my basics and it feels like a waste to just leave it there. I have several other coaches also trying to get me to stay but I’m not sure. I want to stay cause I had two goals before I finished gymnastics and was hoping to make them this year but didn’t due to injury. This makes me want to stay to meet those goals as I’ve had them since I joined. However I have battled a lot of injuries this year and am wondering if my body is saying it’s done? My coach is super understanding of injuries and always prioritized me so I’m not super concerned about that. However I am a bit embarrassed to be competing at 19years old!! I don’t know I feel some athletes and parents will judge me especially since I’ve basically told everyone that I’m done. On top of that I don’t think my parents want me to do another year athiugh they haven’t said it aloud I just am getting a vibe. They have said that they will support me which I’m sure they will however I just think they want me to be done. On top of that my friend is quitting so I’m really up in the air. My coach keeps asking me which way I’m leaning and honestly it changes everyday I just keep telling her I’m going with the flow and we will see but eventually I will have to make a decision. I’m hoping hay getting peoples opinions will help me to decide.

Nobody at meets will know how old you are unless somebody tells them.
I looked the same from the age of 17 to 24.
If you have these goals, go for them.
As for the injuries, continue doing any PT exercises you were given as "prehab" to keep your previously injured areas stronger.
Good luck with your decision.

I am about to start competing seriously at age 27 for the first time. The idea that you shouldn't as an adult baffles me. Why should fun things only be for kids?
At 19 you're really be the same age as the other competitors, and people won't even know you're not in school. Some kids have to repeat a grade, or two, and are still in school at 19. Due to illness, or just trouble with school, or life events. And like others said, people won't even know your age.

If at some point you find you still want to compete but you're not comfortable with your age, you can also look into adult gymnastics competitions. But for now i hope you can still get comfortable in your current competition setting.

As for injuries, only time will tell. I think sometimes our body doesn't need us to quit but needs a break. Make sure you're eating and resting enough. If you're missing out on those, injuries often can't heal. Listen to your body, but remember that it's not all or nothing. If you want to compete, you can, just make sure to handle it wisely.

In case you're worried about your age and physical resiliance, I think 18-25 or sth is the age where you're at your peak fitness and durability, so that won't be the reason for getting injured at gym. (As a kid you have extra risks as your body is still develloping, and at like 35+you start getting age problems (Earlier for some, far later for others). But in between your body should be able to handle stresses fine, especially if you treat it well.

Somewhat related note: In my country, there's this constant pressure on adults to "get fit" and "exercise", but everybody goes to fitness and a lot of people hate it. It's such a waste, why shouldn't we do sports we actually enjoy as adults?

Good luck with your decision. I'll leave you with this thought: be brave but sensible, but most of all follow your heart. Do what feels right for you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back