Parents Do You Consider This Fair?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Empowered

Proud Parent
Would you consider it fair if your child's gym had two groups of girls training the same level, but one group was given 16 hours a week of training and the other was only given 12?

These girls that train in the 12 hour group range in age from 8 to 12 and the girls in the 16 hour group range in age from 9 to 12. All of the girls will be given the opportunity to "test out" of the level next May/June however as a parent of a child in the 12 hour group, I am insanely concerned she'll be much less prepared than the 16 hour group.

Also numbers wise... The 16 hour group only has 7 girls and the 12 hour group has 16.

I tried to ask one of the coaches about this today, asking if the girls in my daughters group were going to be given an opportunity to pick up extra hours now that they're supposed to be training for L6 and she quite abruptly (and rudely really) told me, "No, nothing will change until they test out in June."

I am trying not to worry, but I feel like we're jumping into L6 sitting behind the 8-ball. :(

My gym does this with our level 4's.. There is a select group that practices 2 days a week, while all the others only practice once. I don't really think it's fair to do this either, because they should all get the same amount of hours.

No it is not fair but probably quite common. It has been normal for my dd to train less hours than chosen talented girls. That would be fine except for the fact they compete the same meets usually. FWIW I am learning that the talented ones often give up when it gets hard anyway so hang in there! Top your dd's hours up with quality dance lessons - that will give her an edge in her presentation and extension.

Have you asked about moving your daughter into the 16 hour group? In a private meeting with the head coach or gym owner?

From a consumer of services perspective, I think there are some parents who would be glad to be able to only do 12 hours @L6 because their daughter needs more down time etc., so I don't think it's inherently unfair to have one less strenuous and one more strenuous training group at the same level.

Also hours aren't everything. Some coaches can do more with X hours than others. Are the coaches the same for the two groups? Is the ratio the same?

Now if you are paying the same as the 16 hour group and your ratio is the same or worse ... I'd call that unfair pretty quick.

NOt fair, but probably better for your DD in the long run. 16 hours is a lot and not really nesessary to compete L6. THis kind of thing happens all over the place, but as Gymnut says the girls training longer hours tend to quit faster. I totally agree with adding some dance, that will lift her way up in presentation.

Try not to let it eat you up, you clearly cannot do anything about it and your coaches do not seem to be up to discussing the issue.

Same boat here. Our groups have the same hours just one group has the experienced coach and the other a new young coach, one group the so called better girls. But we also have to keep in mind, so called better coaches or more hours are not always better. She needs to work hard in the hours she is there.

Sounds like the coaches are NOT open to discuss this, try the owner. If you don't get anywhere remember you are the one that pays for their service and you can go elsewhere. I know it's easier said than done, but we get so caught up in this superior complex that some coaches/gyms have. I am over it!!! I have taken my hard earned money$$$$ elsewhere. If it really bothers you leave.

Not sure of fairness or not but I think it is common? (Coaches please correct me if I'm off) @ Js current gym some L5s train 12, some 16 and some 20. @ the gyms I have looked at for J while moving this seems a common theme. Some kids less, some more. One gym explained they would evaluate J and then decide on 12, 15 or 20 based on her. Another gym said one group does 16, the other 20 @ L5.

Just my experience.

Our gym doesn't do that--all the girls at one level practice the same amount of hours. Is there a difference in skills they have or whether they are repeating the level? Were you told anything about the difference when they divided them originally?

At our gym the lower levels (3/4) are divided into A and B by age group. A is for the younger ones (8 and under), and they train about 10 hours/week, whereas group B, the older girls, train about 11.5 hours. My 7 yo DD is in Group A, and I'm fine with the hours - the younger girls don't have the focus that the older ones do, and their training sessions are slightly shorter. Right now we don't have any L5s under 10 yo, so they all train the same number of hours, all together (there aren't many of them). Your situation is different though - sounds like the age groups are similar, so that can't be the reason.

I haven't seen this at DDs gym, but have heard of it. I haven't seen it at most gyms in our area though. While there is a difference in how many hours trained (ranges from 10-16+ at level 5 and 12-20+ at level 6), haven't seen much division at the gym. I have seen parents have options here, like 3 days for level 4 (but you can add a 4th), etc.

What I have seen is that it creates a rivalry between girls and families if it is based only on coaches choice, "more" talent, etc. And when they go to meets together, that team feel just isn't there, between the parents OR the girls. Saw this first hand at our old gym when a special group was chosen to be fast tracked. My DD was asked to be in it, but then I worried about all the implications and have seen all the stuff I worried about actually happened. The parents think their kids are more special, the girls do too, and that isn't even bringing in the favoritism shown to the girls in that group.

Now if you are paying the same as the 16 hour group and your ratio is the same or worse ... I'd call that unfair pretty quick.

Those would be my questions, too, before I could say whether it would be fair or not in my eyes.

Are both groups paying the same?
What is the ratio for each group?

Emory you make a good point about better coaches being able to do more in "x" number of hours, but sadly the coaches are identical.

This biggest issue I have though is that there is a SEVERE and I am not exagerrating when I use that word, imbalance in level in the 12 hour group with all those 16 girls.

There are maybe 7 of them who are truly ready to start working L6 skills. There are a good 8 girls in the 12 hour group who still cannot even connect a full L5 bar routine, much less meet the amplitude requirements.

I made a post in the thread about privates regarding the fact that I have to have my daughter do an hour long private weekly to uptrain bars, because they spend most of the time in class still working straight arm kips and correct tap swings which is so hard for the three girls who've been working clear hips, 3/4 giants and flyaways for a couple months in privates.

I guess I am just venting really. One of the other parents and I sent a joint email to the Team Coordinator asking to meet and discuss the girls and our frustrations so we'll see where that goes.

Last edited:
BRB we pay different amounts, but they have a much lower ratio. Both groups have 2 coaches, the 12 hour group has twice as many girls. :(

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. It certainly does sound a little bit messed up, and unfair.

We have something similar going on at our gym where some girls train extra hours...actually a LOT more hours. They also get time with the head coach and generally have the better coaches each day, they also tend to have smaller groups because they come on different days than the "regular" girls.

There are maybe 7 of them who are truly ready to start working L6 skills. There are a good 8 girls in the 12 hour group who still cannot even connect a full L5 bar routine, much less meet the amplitude requirements.

Is this perhaps why they are split? The coaches feel the kids in group X are more advanced and ready to work Y skills? Seems like that may be the issue. It would appear you think your DD would be better served in the other group and that is the real issue. Correct me if I am wrong..

Sort of Marian... Though I think she would benefit from more hours, my primary thought is that they should be looking at the girls with an honest eye now and splitting them into 2 new groups. The group that will definately compete 6 and a group that will likely repeat 5. I just think it's wrong to hold a small group of girls back and not allow them to uptrain while the rest of the training group tries to catch up.

It's not like my daughter is a superstar and she's never going to be that 37AA compulsory gymnast, but the one thing she doesn't lack is the ability to pick up new skills. On beam she already has 2 BWOs connected, a tick-tock, front walkover, cartwheel-back tuck dismount, full turn and L6 dismount. She can also do the entire L6 floor routine with full tumbling and the only L6 skill she hasn't done on her own is the flyaway.

She was so excited to show up to the gym yesterday and finally start working L6 since the season is done and instead they worked no upgraded skills on any event.

We moved to this gym from a mellow gym because she wanted a competitive, push ahead kind of atmosphere and it seems like the entire attitude has changed. Instead of moving at the fast speed, they're moving at the speed of the slowest person and if you've shot ahead, you just have to wait. Just a little disappointing is all.

Sharks, I would agree. Your DD would be better served by training with the group more in line with her skills. I hope you are able to convey that and things improve for her!

Our gym has 12 or 16 hours too. But the girls who need the extra practice to move up do the higher number. For example, if girl A is ready for 6, she can do 3 or 4 days. Family choice. Girl B is asked to do 16 bc she is not quite ready, but is close. Girl C won't move until next fall so she does 12. 12 or 3/week is better from my perspective bc girls can play instrument or other sport. And it's cheaper!

My daughters group has both 5 and 6 and they train together and still uptrain. Somehow they make it work out but there are only 9 girls and they often have 2 coaches. It sounds like your gym is much bigger but I do not understand why they train different hours is the plan for the other group to test out of 6. I would just discuss your concerns with the coaches and maybe suggest that your daughter would like to train more hours maybe they would put her in the other group.

BRB we pay different amounts, but they have a much lower ratio. Both groups have 2 coaches, the 12 hour group has twice as many girls. :(

Ah; thanks for clarifying. I wouldn't say that is unfair per se in that case. I still wouldn't be thrilled about the ratio difference, though. It sounds like you are concerned about your DD being ready to move up to level 6 in May if she stays in her current group. If you think she will definitely be moving up anyway, I might tend to keep her in the group she's in and just hang in there until then. However, if you think that her being in her current group will prevent her from being ready to move up, I might talk to the coaches again to explain your concern and see if you can move her to the other group. It sounds like you already have requested a meeting, so I hope that these concerns are addressed appropriately by the gym.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back