Parents do you think there is a cheer forum out there...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
where parents ask stuff like, "My DD needs to work on her BHS, it is easier to get her into a gymnastics class. Should that be OK to do to help her out?" And all of the responses are like, "NO WAY!!! Those gymnastics people are insane. They are so worried about form that it can take for ever for a kid to learn to do a BHS and forget them learning to do a back tuck! Stick to cheer coaches. Gymnastics coaches are just a waste of time!!":p

Ha! There actually is a cheer message board out there in cyberspace. I can't remember the name at the moment. To be honest, the cheer posters seemed very respectful of gymnasts. I don't always find the reverse to be true. My daughter briefly tumbled at a cheer gym, and those instructors were former gymnasts. They had some beautiful tumblers at that gym. I'm not sure that's the norm though. I can't argue that gymnastics isn't more difficult and complex, but some of the stunting and tumbling these competitive cheer squads do isn't a cakewalk.

Yes! As a matter of fact I have a "friend" who tells everyone who wants tumbling to not go to DD's gym as it takes "too long" to get a BHS there. Her DD was "in a class for months and learned nothing." She moved her to a cheer gym and she had her BHS "in a week." Lol

I do seriously hate the midriff showing! (one of my issues with Dance Moms too). My older DD was invited onto the cheerleading team at our first gym when she was taking a tumbling class and a rec gym class. She turned it down because she said that she wanted to do all of the events, not just tumbling. I was glad that she made that decision since I leaned towards not letting her do it since I didn't like their uniforms (bare midriffs). I just don't think that 7 and 8 year olds need to be dressed like that! (and I do let my girls wear bikinis; but that just seems different to me (and I do the "little girlish" ones). bikinis are practical IMO, there is just no good reason for those uniforms IMO.)

I had a real issue with those midriff baring uniforms, little Bog's team wore a very traditional uniform but the older girls were pushing for the hooker wear. Little Bog was 12 on a team with 12-19 year olds, I was not amused at all.

Team closed the nest year, never had to deal with it again, phew.

I aloso do no mind bikinis, but they are for the pool or beach, not fir dancing around in public.

My oldest is a cheerleader, and thankfully her team is by far one of the more modest gyms out there-long shirts, long sleeves, modest skirts and they are one of the better teams out there.

Having been to a few cheer comps. I definitely don't like seeing the girls in the skimpy tops and bootie shorts, they are definitely not a one style looks good on all style!:eek:

well I belong to the old fart brigade - my 10 year old wears a 1 piece, tankini, or when we are in France bottoms only, its those little triangular tops half way up their chest do it for me - yuck - just my personal opinion, as I said - old fart

Took a sneaky peaky at the cheer forum - to quote someone on here "Yikes"

One day one of the new rec moms asked a group of team moms (optional girls, no less), if our girls were trying to be cheerleaders or if they were "just" going to do gymnastics.

Some moms said "no, no cheerleading" but I just kind of chuckled and told her they were gymnasts and to them, it was they they were gymnasts (!!) who didn't want to be "just" cheerleaders. The mom backpedaled and told us she wasn't trying to insult our girls.

We told her it was fine, that they are two different sports and that cheerleading has only a small piece of gymnastics in it so that's why outsiders think they are more related than they are. We used it as an opportunity to explain how much more involved gym is that just throwing a few BHSs. It ended up being a pretty interesting conversation and we got to know a new rec mom.

I had a real issue with those midriff baring uniforms, little Bog's team wore a very traditional uniform but the older girls were pushing for the hooker wear. Little Bog was 12 on a team with 12-19 year olds, I was not amused at all.

Team closed the nest year, never had to deal with it again, phew.

I aloso do no mind bikinis, but they are for the pool or beach, not fir dancing around in public.

Fortunately, the national governing body of cheer has recently banned mid-riff exposing tops for everyone below senior level. I wish it were for all ages, but they're not there yet. Those wearing those tops must be covered by at shirt or warm up jacket until warmups, so no more wandering the arenas like that. I wore a midriff top on an adult team, and I didn't really see the need for it, but I wasn't bothered by it either--but again, I was an adult and could make that decision on my own. I think a clean-looking full coverage uniform is much classier.

Fortunately, the national governing body of cheer has recently banned mid-riff exposing tops for everyone below senior level. I wish it were for all ages, but they're not there yet. Those wearing those tops must be covered by at shirt or warm up jacket until warmups, so no more wandering the arenas like that. I wore a midriff top on an adult team, and I didn't really see the need for it, but I wasn't bothered by it either--but again, I was an adult and could make that decision on my own. I think a clean-looking full coverage uniform is much classier.
I sure wish that rule would make it's way down South. I just saw numerous pics on FB of a recent cheer competition, and my oldest daughter's 10 year old friends were all wearing those awful bare midriff tops, skimpy shorts, the hair bump, tons of make up, and huge bows. I think this was a youth level 3 team. Why?? I too have no issue with bikinis, but the cheer outfits bother me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back