Parents Doc Ali Workbook/Videos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Peanut

Proud Parent
Hello. DD is a 7 yr old level 4. This season she's been struggling with and becoming increasingly frustrated with herself due to not understanding why she is "balking" on her jump to the high bar.

She can do the full routine, but when her coach moves the stacked mats from under the high bar, she freezes up and won't do the skill. "I know I can do it...I want to do it...but I don't know why I won't do it". Lately, her coach has been sending her to the rope when she balks at the skill. I'm guessing that's his plan to get her to where he wants her to be. I've emailed him to let him know what she's thinking.

Up to this point, we've let her and her coaches work through her fears. Our message has always been that we believe in you...you get through it. I'm becoming increasingly concerned because she doesn't understand why if she's done it many times before, what's stopping her when he removes the stacked mats. This is what's keeping her from competing bars in her meets. She hasn't yet shown her coach that she can do the routine without the stacked mats.

I'm considering the Doc Ali program/video for her, but I'm not sure it's age appropriate for a 2nd grader :) I've emailed, but I haven't yet heard back.

Thanks for you help and thoughts.

My 11 year old is doing Head Games. The literature says anyone ten and over should do it independently but I find that recommendation a little young. My child is an A/B student in 6th grade who is a strong reader and we have to work through it together. Some of the vocab is more than she knows.

Like @cbifoja, I have a 6th grade DD with what sounds like similar academics. We bought her the Fear: Tame the Beast workbook. Some of the language was a bit tough for my DD, as well. What we did is I had my DD do it in the same room, but ask for explanations as needed. She struggled with some chapters more than others. Towards the end, I was pre-reading the chapters and watching the videos ahead of DD (though she didn't know that), so I could better explain/find better examples in context.

Quick edit to add: My DD DOES get benefit from going back and re-reading what she's written in the workbook. It's tangible proof of her progress, and when she re-reads it, she understands it better on her own, too.

2nd grade might be a bit young to fully grasp the program, but each kid is different and she may still get some benefit. Doc Ali AND Wendy Bruce Martin both have blogs with a few helpful posts/articles on the subjects of mental toughness/fear - you may want to start with that and see if it helps. My DD actually seems to find those more helpful than the workbook, since they're quicker reads.

Like @cbifoja, I have a 6th grade DD with what sounds like similar academics. We bought her the Fear: Tame the Beast workbook. Some of the language was a bit tough for my DD, as well. What we did is I had my DD do it in the same room, but ask for explanations as needed. She struggled with some chapters more than others. Towards the end, I was pre-reading the chapters and watching the videos ahead of DD (though she didn't know that), so I could better explain/find better examples in context.

Quick edit to add: My DD DOES get benefit from going back and re-reading what she's written in the workbook. It's tangible proof of her progress, and when she re-reads it, she understands it better on her own, too.

2nd grade might be a bit young to fully grasp the program, but each kid is different and she may still get some benefit. Doc Ali AND Wendy Bruce Martin both have blogs with a few helpful posts/articles on the subjects of mental toughness/fear - you may want to start with that and see if it helps. My DD actually seems to find those more helpful than the workbook, since they're quicker reads.
Thank you! Right now I'm thinking I'm a bit nuts here, but my thought process is that she is happy and enjoying herself 99.9 % of the time she's at the gym. She young, but her talent (according to coaches) and her current passion have me looking for ways that could help her if she sticks with it. My DD would probably enjoy and connect with the video better than a tough read. I'll check out the blogs.

Thank you! Right now I'm thinking I'm a bit nuts here, but my thought process is that she is happy and enjoying herself 99.9 % of the time she's at the gym. She young, but her talent (according to coaches) and her current passion have me looking for ways that could help her if she sticks with it. My DD would probably enjoy and connect with the video better than a tough read. I'll check out the blogs.

You're not nuts - just a gym mom. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back