Parents Doctor "clearance"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I should say here that sane coaches are a useful piece of the puzzle. One reason the gym owner likes his go-to back guy is that this orthopedist WILL say "it's time to find a different sport" if he thinks that a child's back is not going to tolerate high-level gym in the long run. Everyone involved wants the gymnasts to succeed and stay in the sport, but not to the point of significantly risking long-term negative life consequences.
My biggest concern with being "cleared" is that the say go back but with no actual instructions. Yes if it is back avoid back extensions, but I am OCD like to know to the T what can and can't be done

My biggest concern with being "cleared" is that the say go back but with no actual instructions. Yes if it is back avoid back extensions, but I am OCD like to know to the T what can and can't be done
This is where a PT knowledgeable in gymnastics would be a HUGE plus. The PTs will tend to have more info on what an athlete should/shouldn't do based on the return of strength, flexibility, or any pain. And that goes for all injuries

100% agree with Gymgal. My DD was cleared by the ortho to step up PT to gain strength for training in December (different injury), sport focused PT cleared DD for going back to the gym in late January but only the PT with intimate knowledge of what gymnastics entails knew she was not ready for high impact tumbling and vaulting and that PT worked to get her strength up. She was finally officially cleared to do everything at the beginning of April. Having a PT who really understands the impact of gym on the body is a big help. The ortho we use is very knowledgeable about the gym's in the area too and definitely tailors his advice based on whether the coaches will listen or push the kids to do more than they should.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back