Parents Does Natl Team stipend affect NCAA eligibility?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As I understand, the U.S. Senior National team members recieve a training stipend of 2k$/month.

Does this stipend affect NCAA eligibility because of amateurism rules?

My dd recently qualified for the Colombian junior national team, and is eligibile for a monthly stipend, which isn't much (won't even pay 1/4th of her monthly gym tuition), but every bit helps.

However, I don't want to jeopardize NCAA eligibility.

I read what I could find on the NCAA Eligibility site, but it seems the specific wording used can be 'lawyered' to mean one thing or another.

Anyone with specific, sure knowledge about this?

If not, I'll try and get NCAA eligibility on the phone. I don't want to accept something that jeopardizes eligibility, and neither does dd.

thanks!
ChssAddct

Your "Columbian National Team Stipend" goes to support her gymnastics training so it should not affect her eligibility ...we had a couple of girls on 3 different countries National teams, and they all got stipends from their country of origin, and still competed in college (i.e.maintained the eligibility) . I believe the girls basically paid their gym tuition with it...

The American national team stipend is not actually a stipend. It is a training reimbursement. The parent pays for gymnastics and is reimbursed monthly after giving receipts up to a certain amount and ONLY for eligible expenses. Training reimbursements are allowed by NCAA rules. I do not know if a direct stipend is allowed and usually such payments are specifically set up to AVOID being a stipend.

The American national team stipend is not actually a stipend. It is a training reimbursement. The parent pays for gymnastics and is reimbursed monthly after giving receipts up to a certain amount and ONLY for eligible expenses. Training reimbursements are allowed by NCAA rules. I do not know if a direct stipend is allowed and usually such payments are specifically set up to AVOID being a stipend.

yes, you are right. direct stipends only occur when the athlete declares themselves as "pro". otherwise, the club issues an invoice for "training costs" to the parent. the parent turns it in to National and John Hewitt (no relation to the other Hewitt even though he is an accountant and Federation Controller) sends the checks. almost everything is "eligible" if you know what i mean. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back