Parents Does your gym take former gymnasts back?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I subscribe to the theory "where there's smoke, there's fire."

Wholly apart from the CGM/CGD syndrome (where I agree, it's justified to refuse re-entry, if not originally show them the door), what makes parents unhappy? What is it you are doing (or not doing) that is causing the bad-mouthing, gossip and unhappiness?

IME, gym owners and coaches usually (not always) have good reasons for the decisions and directions they take. However, almost without exception, they are PISS POOR COMMUNICATORS to their parents--their customers.

Put another way, perception is reality: no matter how good a job you're really doing, if your customer doesn't think you're doing a good job, it's not a good job. So set your customer's expectations and meet them, and you won't have customers voting with their dollars.

I tend to agree that any parent that leaves a gym talking smack about it, shouldn't be allowed back. To me, that's just disrespectful to the other kids and families, not just the gym & coaches.

We recently left a gym. I tried talking with the owner several times about an issue my dd was dealing with (actually several issues but all related to the same person). The owner was defensive and argumentative and made something else out of what I said. Then it was told I was yelling when it was not me at all. My dd kept complaining about the same issues. My child who had not complained a day in her life about gymnastics complained & cried for 2 weeks straight and off & on for a month about the same thing. So, I most definitely took her to another gym in town to try. She absolutely loved it!! I can't say how she'll feel in 6 months or a year, but right now, she's a dramatically different child. I haven't been running around saying terrible things about the other gym, but I have said, it could have been avoided if I'd felt I had been heard. I can't see us ever wanting to go back but I'm careful what I say & how I word it to people because what I say about the gym as a whole, is talking about the coaches, gymnasts & families not just the owner or person that was the problem.

I think gyms almost need a mediator type person to go between owner & parents, or have at least someone like that present during meetings to help it go smoother.

Coachp, I do agree sometimes it's actually the parents leaving. I tried really hard not to push that on my kid. I wanted to pull her out a year ago but I kept her there because of her friends, the coaches & the families. Now, at the end of this season & now in a new gym, I really regret not bringing her over sooner. When I told her we were even thinking about trying the new gym, she was so excited!! I had no idea she was as unhappy as she was.

Have not read the thread, but yes, we've had several girls leave for various reasons (none negative) and have returned.

My DD was at a noncompetitive gym for 6 years before transferring and going competitive, and she stops by her old gym every year and gets a warm welcome.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back