Coaches Dominant side issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a gymnast who uses her right side too much. Hurdles and she leans to the right, hurdling too high. Standing bhs she jumps to the right lands too far right and ends up hurting herself for landing incorrectly. Tumbling on floor is not straight. Suggestions??!

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I have a gymnast who uses her right side too much. Hurdles and she leans to the right, hurdling too high. Standing bhs she jumps to the right lands too far right and ends up hurting herself for landing incorrectly. Tumbling on floor is not straight. Suggestions??!

Line drills, and body shaping. How are her basics?

She has pretty good form. I do have problems with her back, poor posture maybe. She stands with her stomach sticking out which makes her arch terribly bad. Im constantly telling her to suck it in.

Basics are slowly getting better.

How is her shoulder flexibility and hip flexors? I have noticed on some of my kids that poor shoulder flexibility and hips often magnifies strong side issues.

Well. you need to work those shoulder and hips for sure, work a lot of step heel drive skills (T in out), cartwheels on a line, hurdle cartwheels, back handspring to handstands on soft mats , back handspring to arch back to her but, (backhandspring to handstand in arch but don't make it over). etc.... As the shoulders get more flexible she will get straighter in the back handspring, as the shoulders and hips get more flexible she will get straighter on the roundoff, so long as everything else is in line, (straight hurdle, good heel drive, not crossing the front foot over etc..., you know the drill).

How is her shoulder flexibility and hip flexors? I have noticed on some of my kids that poor shoulder flexibility and hips often magnifies strong side issues.

Totally...though it was just me with the inflexible crooked kids.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back