Parents Eating a lot?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

emorymom

Proud Parent
Do your kids eat a lot? Frequently or large amounts? If you have a more sedentary sibling or siblings, do they eat less?

It's only October and I'm feeling burned out on the frequent feeding and dishes. Actually since the kids are not on any seasonal physical activity schedules except for DD's dance classes, I really should figure out how to pace myself. This is not an issue of giving her more protein or fat and she can make it longer because I am all over that already.

They are an older-5 (who seems to be able to regulate his blood sugar better and does train less) and my almost 6 DD. They are tall for age.

My gymnasts never stops wanting to eat. Once she started on 3 days a week it's an eating frendzy. She has to ask for everything she wants before eating, or it's just nuts. HATE dishes. My son who plays football and baseball eats much than than her for some reason.

my DD grazes, little bits all day long. Starving every hour and a half. Not sure how she makes it through school !

my DD grazes, little bits all day long. Starving every hour and a half. Not sure how she makes it through school !

My dd's the same way. Thankfully, she has an early lunch, at like 10:50 but it's the time after that until she gets to practice that I'm sure she's starving. I pack her a bag full of snacks ~ peanuts, granola bar, apples, Golfish Crackers. She's famished after practice and eats dinner right after but is hungry 30 minutes later! My food bills are getting ridiculous!

My ds isn't as active as she is, he's actually a little overweight but not too bad. He doesn't eat as much as she does but he's not as active as she is so he's not burning it up. He does karate 2 nights a week but I think I may look into having him go 3 times soon.

My kids eat little amounts all day long. They usually have a snack right after school at 3:30, then dinner anywhere between 5 and 6pm depending on what time I fix dinner or if dd has practice or not. Then they usually have another light meal or snack before bed around 8 or 9pm. My son is a bit hyper so he is always running around (he is 7) and it seems like he is always eating. DD seems to eat whenever she is hungry and I can always tell when a growth spurt is hitting because she eats a ton!

I get very tired of all the dishes and the "Mommy, I'm hungry!" every hour or so. Now that the kids are older (10 and 7) they can pretty much get their own snacks. But I try to have healthy stuff on hand that is easy to grab for them. I usually have a big veggie tray in the fridge that they can snack on whenever that consists of cut-up baby carrots, cucumber, celery, broccoli, baby tomatoes, green and red peppers, cubed cheese, grapes and strawberries. This helps cut down on the dishes since it is mostly finger food and they can use papertowels. Having bowls of fresh fruit out within eyesight is also another good thing, that way they can grab whatever without making such a mess.

Hope these ideas helped!!

Yep, our little gymnast eats constantly. We've gotten permission from school to send healthy snacks for her to gobble between classes, as she seems to NEED fuel every 60 to 90 minutes. She eats a full breakfast, snacks at school, eats lunch, snacks at school, eats her preworkout supper, has a snack at gym and eats another full supper after gym. DH calls her "Hoover" because she sucks up all food in sight. When famished, she'll even eat foods she isn't fond of. She has also learned what snacks make her feel better. Cheetos, she has figured out, aren't really food and don't take care of hunger. Wish I had her metabolism (it would probably help if I worked out 20 hours a week, too ;> )

Her older brother is going through a growth spurt and eats nearly as much as Flipper right now, but his big eating comes and goes while she always eats like this.

Thanks for all the replies! I feel in good company. Oh, and my son is an older-4 not an older 5 ... that would have made them twins! Ooops.

My dd's the same way. Thankfully, she has an early lunch, at like 10:50 but it's the time after that until she gets to practice that I'm sure she's starving. I pack her a bag full of snacks ~ peanuts, granola bar, apples, Golfish Crackers. She's famished after practice and eats dinner right after but is hungry 30 minutes later! My food bills are getting ridiculous!

Cait is the same way. I have to keep reminding her not to use the word starving though. She knows I don't like that. She really has no idea what starving really means. She likes rice cakes, pretzels, fruit, junk (we try to limit this) and protein bars with her favorite being Clif bars. Since she eats little amounts all day we have to always remind her at meets to drink her water and eat a little bit if she can.

Sean

Both of our kids eat a lot and often for their size. My 10 yo at times can eat as much as I do (who's not a small eater) and I'm about 3X her size. Yes, food bills are getting out of hands, so it seems sometimes.

Their diets are pretty balanced as they just eat a lot of everything. They love greens and grains as much as meats and sweats -- from the mainstream to the most unusual.

They can always impress our table companies when we are dining out. Even their gym and other buddies' parents are totally impressed by their appetite and their tendency to enjoy what the other moms cook. Other than the cost of the food, they love having our kids over for meals because their own cannot show the same appreciation for their home cooking.

All 4 children graze throughout the day, and only 1 is a gymnast. While in Disney this past week, we thought that some expensive, special event dinners would tide them over for a long time. Unfortunately, they were, of course, ready to eat a meal again an hour or two later, as they eat small, grazer portions.

My children eat constantly!!
And they are not very big. Well my 9yo son (who plays tennis & baseball) is catching up to his 12yo gymnast sister. They wear the same size clothes!! They are both as skinny as beanpoles. They do eat regular, sit down meals, but it is never enough. So they graze, and I make sure there is good stuff around for them.
The funniest is when dd orders off the regular menu at restaraunts. She will order a big steak or bbq ribs. The waiters always look at us for approval. We smile and nod. They are floored when she cleans her plate.

Both of our children are always hungry. I try to limit their intake to 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. They always have to ask before they get anything to make sure it is something that is approved. DH drove me nuts with a Burger King trip after a game and he let DS eat 2 kids meals. Yes I about died I told him so much for teaching him to eat sensably. Mind you neither of the kids are over weight by any means I just want them to realize if they are less active than they are now they can not eat that way and it could make life on them much harder. Mind you DS did not have his snack for the afternoon and his dinner was much lighter to balance out her calories for the day.

As for snacks I do have a basket on the counter that has granola bars, peanutbutter crackers, cereal bars, and protein bars that they are allowed to grab and I keep the 100 calorie packs. Also they are allowed to have fruit with those snacks. I also pack their lunches daily for school so I can make sure they have what is needed. I only get irritated with after care and their cookies for snacks. I swear it is the only "sweet" they get but it kills me that they can't do fruit or veggies.

Mind you neither of the kids are over weight by any means
C'mon. They are hard working gymnasts (at least one is). It's one of the major reason for the large food consumption. I think it's a given that they/she aren't/isn't obese.

I just want them to realize if they are less active than they are now they can not eat that way and it could make life on them much harder.
Yup, I tell my kids that all the time. I can't image (actually I can) how they would look like after they have my grandchildren if their appetite keeps up but the work out doesn't.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back