• ChalkBucket Does Not Provide Medical Advice

Always first seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding an injury / medical condition. This forum is simply here to share your injury & recovery experiences and what has worked or not worked for you and your athlete.

Injury Elbow injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rspran01

Proud Parent
I have a 9 yo daughter who competes in the platinum level And also competes Trampoline and unfortunately dislocated her right elbow recently and now she has it immobilized for 2 weeks at 90degree flexion. She still has 1 more week of immobilization! I’m not sure if I should bring her to the gym for conditioning?? Super frustrating as a mom and her because she most likely will be out for the rest of the competition season! Any advice is welcomed!!

It depends on your gym's policy/practices. At our gym, we welcome any level of participation an athlete is cleared for. We do require a doctor's note/PT'd specific plan for what they can and can't do, the more detailed the better. We also encourage injured athletes to do any PT work at practice. I would talk to her coach. If it's a very limiting injury, we might recommend only staying for part of practice.

I would talk to her coach. If it's a very limiting injury, we might recommend only staying for part of practice.

^^^Yes... we only have athletes attend part of workout when injured. This way they are not sitting around doing nothing... still have time for strength / stretching / rehab / etc... but they can stay connected to the team.

hi! I'm wondering how your daughter is doing - is she in PT? When is she going to be able to be weight bearing (time from injury)? Does her elbow still hurt or bother her now since she sounds like shes about 6-ish weeks out?
My 6 year old just dislocated hers 2 weeks ago and has to be in the 90 degree flexion for 4 weeks total - I'm concerned about how stiff that elbow (and likely wrist) will be...

Oh, hi, sorry to hear about your daughter dislocating her elbow too! My daughter is going on 7 weeks out and was wearing a dynamic brace with a hinge , initially locked at 90 degrees for 1week total following her injury and then unlocked and now this week she only wears her brace when conditioning at gymnastics. She also started in PT 2 weeks after her injury. They initially had her doing just passive and active rom exercises and now they are doing shoulder and forearm strengthening at 5 weeks out and planning to start elbow strengthening exercises this week! She has been pain free and has full rom now! She’s bored with conditioning at gymnastics but being a trouper hanging in there and lots of support from her teammates! Unfortunately, lots of artistic and 2 trampoline meets she has missed. Hopefully her first compete will be states trampoline at CAVU…. She might not compete tumbling but will definitely compete trampoline and mini tramp!😃

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back