WAG Elbow OCD update

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Stellar

Proud Parent
Well it's been almost 6 months from DD's microfracture surgery and she's doing great! Started slowing training (back using arms) about a month and half ago. She's gotten most of her upper body strength back. Her skills are coming back faster than I thought they would. She's a freshman this year and is competing HS while she regains her skills and maybe will compete a few club meets after HS season. She's very cautious on skills that put a lot of stress on her elbow. She is now doing a Tsuk, b/c it is less impact than a Yurchenko. She had not done a backhandspring on beam since the pain started last January and then last week she tried them and had NO Pain!!!

I just wanted to share b/c since she was diagnosed almost 11 months ago, I've done lot's of research, hoping to find success stories of gymnasts recovering from OCD. She is not 100% back to where she was before, but I'd say she's 85% there. Her time in the gym while under the no weight bearing restriction actually helped her with other skills (i.e. jumps, leaps, ariels on beam, and her legs became much stronger so her overall tumbling is better now).

She's very excited to be back and start competing HS!!

Great news! My dd had elbow surgery for OCD back when she was a freshman in HS too, it was June of her freshman. She is now a freshman in college and is competing for her college. Never a problem with the elbow after coming back. I wish your dd the same luck too!

So glad to hear that her recovery has been successful!! Happy for your DD and relieved, as my DD is facing a significant injury and probably a lengthy recovery...

Thanks for sharing, it gives the rest of us hope. :)

Thank you so much Stellar, for sharing your fantastic news! I'm so happy for your daughter, and also relieved like LizzieLac, as my daughter is also facing (what my be) a lengthy recovery from a different elbow injury. I especially like the part of her story about how the conditioning in the gym improved her leaps and jumps, and tumbling in general- as that is what my daughter is currently focused on doing, and is what keeps is what her going right now.

Best wishes to your daughter! Here's to a successful and fun HS season! (-:

You know, I was thinking maybe we should start a social group for injury commiserating. For me, there are times I would like to talk about what DD (and her parents and coaches are experiencing), but I am not always comfortable doing it in an open forum (I don't know why, but I hesitate o_O).

Would anyone be interested in being a part of that?

I think a social group would be great. I know I could have used it during the last year. For every step forward, there was another step backward. At first it seemed like the end of the world when she was initially out for 3 weeks last winter- now fast forward 11 months later and she's finally moving forward. What I did learn (or maybe I knew it before, but didn't want to believe it) that her injury (OCD of elbow) takes time to properly heal. I kept looking for short cuts, or thinking maybe she would be the exception to the rule, but of course she was not. The few meets she tried to scale back and compete in last year were not great and not worth the risk of more injury.

LizzieLac and teksquad- Good luck to both your girls and sending thoughts for a successful recovery!!!

Oh yes, Lizzielac and Stellar! I would love a group, too. Can we members start groups? Those around us are very supportive and understanding, but it is still a lonely road, isn't it? I'm in! (-:

Thanks for the good thoughts, Stellar! Wishing your daughters all the best wishes for continued recovery, and return to the sport they love, too!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back