Emily was cleared by the ortho today!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's been seven long months since Emily's ACL reconstruction, and today the ortho finally cleared her to do "whatever you are comfortable doing" :D I asked Em later if she thought this day would ever come and her reply was "nope" with a big grin on her face. We have been so fortunate to have both a phenomenal orthopedic surgeon and coaches who have been incredibly supportive through this whole process, and have never stopped believing in Emily. Em's first meet is December 5 and we are keeping our fingers crossed that she will be able to compete all 4 events - she has yet to start vaulting again - but everyone at the gym will be cheering her on, whatever she does. :applause::applause:

that is wonderful news, and I wish her the best of luck in Dec, at her first meet. Looking forward to hearing updates on how she is doing

:DNow that deserves the big green grinning smiley face!:D

So happy to hear this for her and for you!!! Hope she is able to get right back out there and has a great meet in December!

Absolutely wonderful news! I hope she is able to compete all her events at her first meet.

thats awesome! So glad her recovery went well! i'm still in recovery for mine :p just one question though... does you daughter have a custom brace?? when i go back in January i need a custom brace which i am getting fitted for in December.

Great news! You guys must be on cloud 9 right now. Best wishes to Emily as she works to get the rest of her skills back, keep us updated!

Wonderful News indeed !!!!:D

hope she is able to compete all 4 events. Even if she can't, it will be a day she will always rememeber.

thats awesome! So glad her recovery went well! i'm still in recovery for mine :p just one question though... does you daughter have a custom brace?? when i go back in January i need a custom brace which i am getting fitted for in December.

I tore my ACL and had it reconstructed just over 4 years ago now. After the rehab after the op I had to get a CTI custom brace (big carbon fibre thing) that I wore in training for about a year. I didn't tend to wear it on bars unless I was specifically training dismounts but I always wore it on floor and vault. Despite how crazily huge they look they are relatively comfy and obviously so much better than a reinjury. One thing I would recommend is washing the little pads pretty frequently (and replacing them often too) because your sweat soaks right into them and I ended up with a nasty sore rash a couple of times.

Crystalflipz- I'm so glad for Emily! It's such an awful time, not knowing if you'll ever get back to it and feels amazing when you get that all clear! I hope everything goes well for her and that she gets her skills back quickly!

Thanks for all the well wishes! I had to work all weekend so am just now checking back in.
As far as braces go, Em does have a custom brace that she wears all the time. Her doc said she could work bars - except dismounts - without it, but Em and her coach both decided that it would be best just to keep it on all the time. Em says it has changed how she kips as it tends to catch on the bars when she pulls up. Luckily for us, our insurance covered the cost of Em's brace as the cost for it was pretty eye-popping. Em has the Donjoy Defiance brace and is very happy with it. One of the really nice things about getting the Defiance is that it also included one custom refit in the first 4 months of wearing, which we have just taken advantage of since Em's quads have really started to fill out again in the past couple of months.

gymnastgirlz10 good luck to you in your recovery!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back