Parents Encourage your coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

leotardmakermum

Proud Parent
Recently I sent an email to our club's head coach to thank him for hiring my daughter's coach some time back. I detailed why I felt the appointment had been so good: how much my daughter was learning from him, and enjoyed working with him. I also said that I had observed how dedicated this coach is to helping my daughter not only to do new skills but also to understand the skills. He spends a great deal of time answering her many questions.

It took me just a few minutes to write the email, and yet it had a big impact. I received an email back from the head coach thanking me, and saying that they never receive emails like that - only ever negative, complaining emails. That shocked me! How hard was it for me to say thanks, and to say "good job"?! Not hard at all, and I meant every word of it!

So therefore I'd like to encourage you to encourage your coaches. Say thanks when thanks is due. By passing on the thanks through the head coach, I not only encouraged my daughter's coach, but also praised him in front of his boss. It encouraged the head coach too.

You never know what impact your kind words will have. Perhaps they will stop a coach from quitting. Perhaps they will just brighten their day. Perhaps your kind words will spur them on to doing an even better job. You just don't know, but it is definitely worth finding out!

Yes, yes, yes. Your coaches have to be the bad guy, the tough guy, the mean guy, the one who has to balance the hard work that needs to be done with the emotions and self esteem of young children. Their job is hard and they will make mistakes. Encouragement is such a huge gift to anyone, why not give it to the people who train your child to be their best? So glad you shared this important reminder:)

Great suggestion!

I text spontaneous thanks to LL's coaches. Email/notes occasionally. Flowers from our garden for their desk. These wonderful people spend almost as much time with our kids as school teachers. I appreciate them as part of the "village" that helps raise my daughter. And, yes, if your coach has a superior - let them know how you feel!

I sent my dds coach an email last week to tell her how much we love her and appreciate how patient and caring she has been in helping dd get through some fears. Her response was so great, she just kept saying how much it meant to her to hear that.

I couldn't agree more ... and kudos to you leotardmakermum for posting these words of wisdom and for encouraging others to give thanks and praise when due. I truly am amazed at how much coaches give of themselves to help our children reach their goals and full potential! I do make a point of thanking my daughter's coaches but thank you to all the rest of you coaches for all that you do!

Yes Ideally it would be wonderful if parents stayed out of the gym excessively , cheered ALL the gymnasts on at meets, and give us high fives as well... Happy coaches means the kids benefit.

I often tell my daughter's coaches how much I appreciate them and their work. But I do like the idea of sending something in writing to the owner of the gym/head coach. Good idea!

I have thanked the coaches when they have gone out of their way to help my dd with something. And I always thank them for their patience with her. LOL some days I have none so I know it can be difficult. I love our coaches for the most part, thanks for the reminder to thank them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back