Coaches Exercises to help level 2 dd

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi Coaches,
Ok so my 7 yr old daughter just joined level 2 team. She's doing ok but having trouble on what seems to be a pretty simple skill. But I have no idea how to help her get it.
In the level 2 beam routine, they swing their leg over and then tuck legs up, straighten one leg out and then have to stand up without using their hands.
She can not stand up. I thought maybe it was because she was scared of falling off beam but she tried it just on the floor and she couldn't even get up on the floor yikes!!!!
I'm not sure if its a strength thing or a flexibility thing or both.
But other then just trying to do it over and over again. What things could I do with her at home to work on it?
Thanks so much!!

It sounds like both to me, but that's just my opinion..... based on some quality years as an athlete in a strength sport followed by many quality years in gymnastics. It works like this........

To stand up using one foot you have to get your weight over that foot, and be pretty much balanced as you push and stand up. If a childs low back, gluteal, and hamstring muscles are tight it's a losing battle.

Assuming she were to work only flexibilty to gain the ability to correctly place her foot under her, she'd stand a better chance.... well maybe. You see, if she's never before had the opportunity to use those muscles at that extreme of motion range, you can pretty much figure those three groups of muscles are gonna be weak as heck and unable to push her up no matter how well she can place her foot.

So you have to work from both ends of the problem to strike a balance.

They don't really have to stand up on one leg for the level 2 beam I don't think. One leg is in front but they can be on two legs once they are actually standing up into a forward roll then they stand up from the forward roll the same way.

I think she can try tuck walks - squat down and walk like that.

Are they doing 'pistols' as part of their conditioning routine? It sounds like the second half of a pistol (you first go down on one foot then back up). You can practice these on floor with one hand on something solid for support. You can also roll onto your back and then up as the extra momentum helps. If this is still too hard, leave the free foot resting on the floor until strength improves. If this is part of their routine they should really be doing conditioning for it. However my DD still can't do pistols even though her class does them during conditioning. She just collapses. I think it is what iwannacoach said, she has no strength at that end range of the muscles, plus she has tight hamstrings. I guess it is lucky for her this move is not in our steps routines.

Thank you so much for the ideas!!!
Yes it does sound like a "pistol"
That's a great idea to practice those.

I think there's a difference between the USAG beam routines and the AAU routines. This is an AAU beam routine. There's no forward roll in it.

Thanks!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back