WAG Fear (and hate) of beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mls529

Proud Parent
My now 10 yo DD competed level 4 last year and was going to compete level 6 this year (no 5 at her gym). Beam was always her weakest event. However, this year, she is totally unable to move her skills forward on beam and is even going backwards. She now has her CHS and just got her giant on bars and is close to a tsuk on vault, but is scared to even do a full handstand on the high beam, when the rest of her practice group now has a BHS on beam. Even on the low beam, she says she just stands there frozen when they want her to do a BHS. She was told she now has to repeat 4 this year because of it, but at least she can still practice with the other 6s. I recognize fears of backwards tumbling on beam are common at this age, but even a handstand? She said she is even scared of leaps on beam now. I saw other posts about vestibular, but I don't think that is it. It's like she is a level 6-7 on everything but only a shaky level 3 on beam. Has anyone had any success overcoming a big fear of just one apparatus?

Beam can be one of the first things to cause problems after a growth spurt. Has she had a big growth spurt recently?? I've been told by several moms with kids around her age that had big issues after a growth spurt, and they almost always started with the beam, sometimes carrying over onto other apparatuses but sometimes not. Apparently skills (even simple ones like leaps, etc) feel a lot different after they grow a few inches. I'm willing to bet she just needs time to adjust. It sounds like her gym is being patient with her about it and that's a good thing. Repeating L4 is probably the best thing for her right now and it's great they are going to let her continue up training. That way when her beam catches back up, she will be that much more prepared for optionals.

Gosh - that's rough - Can she do the skills on a line on the floor - like is it all fear and very little to do w/ not being physically unable to do things? How about on a floor beam w/ panel mats all round till they are almost level w/ the top of the beam?

It would be nice if the gym could just keep progressing her skills in some modified way so that once she gets over her fear she won't be too behind. It's great they are letting her stay w/ her group.

Yes, she has grown, in her own small gymnasts way. ~2 inches and 1.5 shoe sizes - she is still pretty tiny. I never thought about it as a growth spurt since she looks much smaller /younger than her classmates, but that is a real possibility. And I think she can do the skills on a line, and this summer I saw a practice where she was doing BHS on the low beam with the panel mats around it, and even looked fairly graceful doing it. And she does leaps and handstands on the low beam. But I guess as they have tried to move her to next step on BHS on beam (i.e. no panel mats; spotted on high beam), more fears have taken over. She is so incredibly proud of her bar skills - I really hope these fears don't more to other apparatus!

2 inches and 1.5 shoe sizes for a gymnast is a huge growth spurt to deal with all at one time. Can you imagine what that feels like on a 4inch wide beam. It might take a while, but if she plugs away - hopefully with the support of her coaches she will get through it.

Hopefully her brain and body catch up on beam eventually, and trying to lower the amount of pressure associated it will be best for that. However what could be done in the meantime is have her compete 3 events and scratch beam. Obviously she won't be eligible for states or to get the move-up score, but it would enable her to participate at her level for other events and hopefully reduce pressure for beam.

My level 9 dd grew 2 inches and 3 shoe sizes this last winter and spring. For her, she lost her back twisting entirely for four months and broke two toes at different times, just getting used to her big feet.

With the twisting she totally lost where she was in space and was falling from the sky like a rock. So scary.

For these small gymnasts this kind of growth is a huge adjustment. My dd just kept focused on where she was at and doing what she could to keep progressing. Her bars totally took off with the time off her toes and now her twisting is back and progressing normally again.

Nothing to do but give it time.

Maybe start working on some mental training to give her some tools and help her feel empowered. It has really helped my dd. She visualized 10 perfect full twists a day and one day, her brain shifted and it was back and a week later it was way better that it was before she lost it and now a month later she is working on punching out of her 1.5 and landing a double on the pit mat.

I just read that there is research that shows that visualization can be almost as valuable as actually training the skill. Something like those with half the training time, but viualized all their skills daily performed just as well as those with double the training time.

Maybe check out doc Ali or find a local sports psychologist. My dd has been working through athlete warrior and loves it. Helps so much. She has lots of options for wherever she is at, including fear stuff.

I think I've posted about DD L6 mental blocks before. Started with BHS on high beam, then travelled to low beam then to floor, eventually where she couldn't even do BHS on tramp for a while. Then she blocked on some bar skills. She was able, over a period of months, to get back her floor and bar skills but was still paralyzed on any beam on BWO and BHS. She was considering quitting but wanted to keep trying

So, after having the blocks for 6 months, we opted to see a sports hypnotherapist. After one session she had ALL her skills back! He did not say or do anything that she hadn't heard from me or her coaches. She did learn some great breathing techniques and confidence boosting tactics that really work for her. It has only been 2 weeks but she is now doing BWO-BHS connection, giants on her own and a layout on floor. I was really impressed at how helpful it was.

So, after having the blocks for 6 months, we opted to see a sports hypnotherapist. After one session she had ALL her skills back! He did not say or do anything that she hadn't heard from me or her coaches. She did learn some great breathing techniques and confidence boosting tactics that really work for her. It has only been 2 weeks but she is now doing BWO-BHS connection, giants on her own and a layout on floor. I was really impressed at how helpful it was.

After my daughter's BWO fear becoming a paralyzing panic attack on the beam (one day HC had to talk her down off the beam), I inquired with DD about hypnotherapy. She was adamant she didn't want to do it because that would "mean that there was something wrong with her", which just made her even more anxious. But I truly wish she would have been open to it. I'm so glad it worked for your DD!!

I can only share my experience and will refrain from advice since what works for one, may not for another.

Last year, my DD was held back because of beam. She could not tackle the BHS in her brain......Stress was mounting in the gym..........At the right time, not before/during/after practice, we talked about it very calmly. She told me she had made her mind up that she was not ready for it and she was fine if it held her back a level. After assuring her that I was proud of her and how far she has come in her 11 years, we talked about it scientifically.....We both concluded that her brain had not yet 'wired' the skill and that she needed more repetition. The next problem for her was how NOT to upset the coach when the moment came to work on the skill in practice.....the coach, not knowing what my dd was going through, was getting frustrated with her. I told my DD she had to TALK to her coach and explain her fears (kids hate talking to their coaches...). Then I asked my dd for a few alternatives to make the coach happy in case communication was not possible......could she do the skill on the floor, on a mat, on a line, on the low beam?...etc. She was positive she could do it on the floor on a line.....So , she took it from there- I told her the only thing she could do was start somewhere, and work up.....little by little.....show her coach by working....and RELAX mentally... she gave herself SMALL goals.....to do it on the beam, with stacked mats, with the soft mat over everything- then slowly take things away. She would work from the floor line at the beginning of every beam rotation.... she was too busy working HER process to notice which girls were getting whatever skill........ She is 11 now and she has much better communication with her coach and she explains to her what her brain is doing. I dont fault the coach a bit....most kids are petrified to 'tell' the coach anything 'bad'.

She eventually got over the fear, and she learned how to come up with a plan (which I felt was most important) for progress. The coach was happy that she was working a solution without sitting idle and whining on the side.....at times, the coach would help her and give her a spot and then congratulate her.....
Now, I hope for her next fear, she can be equally calculating!!!!

I can only share my experience and will refrain from advice since what works for one, may not for another.

Last year, my DD was held back because of beam. She could not tackle the BHS in her brain......Stress was mounting in the gym..........At the right time, not before/during/after practice, we talked about it very calmly. She told me she had made her mind up that she was not ready for it and she was fine if it held her back a level. After assuring her that I was proud of her and how far she has come in her 11 years, we talked about it scientifically.....We both concluded that her brain had not yet 'wired' the skill and that she needed more repetition. The next problem for her was how NOT to upset the coach when the moment came to work on the skill in practice.....the coach, not knowing what my dd was going through, was getting frustrated with her. I told my DD she had to TALK to her coach and explain her fears (kids hate talking to their coaches...). Then I asked my dd for a few alternatives to make the coach happy in case communication was not possible......could she do the skill on the floor, on a mat, on a line, on the low beam?...etc. She was positive she could do it on the floor on a line.....So , she took it from there- I told her the only thing she could do was start somewhere, and work up.....little by little.....show her coach by working....and RELAX mentally... she gave herself SMALL goals.....to do it on the beam, with stacked mats, with the soft mat over everything- then slowly take things away. She would work from the floor line at the beginning of every beam rotation.... she was too busy working HER process to notice which girls were getting whatever skill........ She is 11 now and she has much better communication with her coach and she explains to her what her brain is doing. I dont fault the coach a bit....most kids are petrified to 'tell' the coach anything 'bad'.

She eventually got over the fear, and she learned how to come up with a plan (which I felt was most important) for progress. The coach was happy that she was working a solution without sitting idle and whining on the side.....at times, the coach would help her and give her a spot and then congratulate her.....
Now, I hope for her next fear, she can be equally calculating!!!!

I love that your DD could think that way, and conquer small goal by small goal!!
My DD did work out a plan like that for her BWO, with HC's blessing, and that made a HUGE difference in her mental outlook on the whole thing.

So agree with @munchkin3 . I was forever telling Pink to "Use your Words". I would explain that from the coaches point of view, unless you explain what is going on inside your head they don't understand why you wont do it. Again I think it does come with age, but being able to say what's up allows strategies to be made to overcome the problem and not just let it escalate.

So agree with @munchkin3 . I was forever telling Pink to "Use your Words". I would explain that from the coaches point of view, unless you explain what is going on inside your head they don't understand why you wont do it. Again I think it does come with age, but being able to say what's up allows strategies to be made to overcome the problem and not just let it escalate.

So very true. And sometimes it's up to the parent to facilitate or even force that conversation. A couple of weeks ago I finally hauled my daughter in to talk with her primary coach, after months of unsuccessfully encouraging her to bring up her issues on her own. Although the coach knew she was having issues with self-confidence and fear, coach hadn't been totally aware of exactly what was going on in her little head and how much it was affecting her. She took a few minutes to tell Tink exactly what she needed to hear. The very next day, the child was vaulting and tumbling like never before, and all of her coaches were exclaiming that she seemed like a totally different kid. I only wish I had made that conversation happen sooner.

Totally agree Mommyof1 and Margo.... Its so funny how kids develop.....when they are little, they are terrified of telling a teacher, 'i dont get the math' or "can you repeat the homework'....its like they have disappointed the teacher in a big way......Then, they are teenagers and all they do is oppose the teachers, or parents or coaches....they act like monsters......THEN they become respectful and begin to treat people equal and communicate....Its all about their self esteem i guess.

In gymnastics kids have a hard time telling the coaches about fears....and coaches can be butts too.... 'oh c'mon, just throw it" or 'suzy just did it and shes 5" etc. etc.....coaches can say stupid things without realizing it.
I am very lucky to have a gym where the coaches believe in this communication and they treat the kids like adults. Maybe not always during training, but afterwards there is ALWAYS a moment where they can say 'Hey coach i'm having a problem with...' privately.... This is where the magic between teacher and student comes in. It also takes a special teacher....some dont like teenagers AT ALL, others know how to handle them.

For my DD, I always urge her to take responsibility and communicate. If shes late, a simple 'sorry I'm late coach' or 'thanks for helping me get that coach'.....all this breeds respect between them and that will take an athlete very far.

This is all excellent advice - thank you very much! Some of these stories are like you are describing my daughter exactly. I will encourage her to speak up to her coaches (she really needs to work on this!), and ask for practice alternatives such as staying on the low beam, so she is not just in the corner practicing lower level skills by herself. And in a weird way, repeating level 4 could be good for her. I think the pressure of not scratching an event will lessen the stress. I am following the advice of not dwelling on it too much when I talk to her, because she is already a high-strung, anxious kid. I am really interested in Doc Ali, since it has been mentioned on other posts. I found a bunch of different products - from DVDs to books to a Webcamp. Have some of the books been helpful to others with ~10 year olds? Some of the materials sounded like they may be geared for higher level athletes. I wish I could convince her to talk to a therapist to lessen her anxiety, but I have not been able to so far.

My now 10 yo DD competed level 4 last year and was going to compete level 6 this year (no 5 at her gym). Beam was always her weakest event. However, this year, she is totally unable to move her skills forward on beam and is even going backwards. She now has her CHS and just got her giant on bars and is close to a tsuk on vault, but is scared to even do a full handstand on the high beam, when the rest of her practice group now has a BHS on beam. Even on the low beam, she says she just stands there frozen when they want her to do a BHS. She was told she now has to repeat 4 this year because of it, but at least she can still practice with the other 6s. I recognize fears of backwards tumbling on beam are common at this age, but even a handstand? She said she is even scared of leaps on beam now. I saw other posts about vestibular, but I don't think that is it. It's like she is a level 6-7 on everything but only a shaky level 3 on beam. Has anyone had any success overcoming a big fear of just one apparatus?
YES..THIS..I am exactly here with my DD who is 9. Just competed 4 and was to compete 6 come spring. 1 fall on high beam back walkover and beam is done. She still can do it on low beam (nicely), but balks when she hops on the junior beam, and won't even consider the high beam. I don't even astk or talk about beam anymore. She puts a ton of pressure on herself, she knows that without it she can't do level 5 or level 6. I don't even know what to say, she comes home in tears, distraught, frustrated. "My mind says say and my body says no" that is how she explains it to me. Of course I tell her to not think about it, and it will come back in time. Unfortunately, she feels like time is ticking away - and has already stated that competing level 4 is not an option for her. It is so difficult to see our little girls struggle with this frustration! Ugh!

YES..THIS..I am exactly here with my DD who is 9. Just competed 4 and was to compete 6 come spring. 1 fall on high beam back walkover and beam is done. She still can do it on low beam (nicely), but balks when she hops on the junior beam, and won't even consider the high beam. I don't even astk or talk about beam anymore. She puts a ton of pressure on herself, she knows that without it she can't do level 5 or level 6. I don't even know what to say, she comes home in tears, distraught, frustrated. "My mind says say and my body says no" that is how she explains it to me. Of course I tell her to not think about it, and it will come back in time. Unfortunately, she feels like time is ticking away - and has already stated that competing level 4 is not an option for her. It is so difficult to see our little girls struggle with this frustration! Ugh!
It is nice to know we are not alone! No doubt it is a scary skill and I really hope that she can stay positive and not regress even more like my daughter. Best of luck to her.

This is where we started with the doc Ali stuff.

http://www.headgames.ws/82/head-games-visualization-cdgymnastics.html

My dd started with this around age 8/9 and we then moved on from there when she was ready and committed to more. She really enjoyed these visualizations.

This also primed her for the sports hypnotherapist she ended up seeing later that year. She understood what visualization was and when the sports guy did his thing it felt very similar and not scary and she knew that it could possible work and help her and I think that made a difference.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back