Fear of falling (the beam)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mochamom

Hi Everyone,

I'm a long time lurker, but now I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. My ds (age 6) has only been in gymnastics for about a year. The coaches want to move her up to pre-team ,she is currently in girls rec 4 for four hours a week. Recently she had a bad fall off the beam and now she has "beam fear". Until then she had her cartwheels, hand stands, etc and now nothing. The coaches say until she gets over her fear, she can't move up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her?

A good way to help your dd get past this fear is to have her go back to basics. Have her just start doing her basic beam skills on a line on the floor and then progress up to the wide pre-k beam(most gyms have these that sit on the floor), then low beam until she feels she is ready to get back on high beam. She may be able to take some skills to high beam more quickly than others, but the most important thing is not to rush her or make her feel pressured. That usually only increases anxiety and stress which doesn't help her get over the fear.

Other ideas are to have her put panel mats on either side of the low beam and mats under the high beam once she gets the desire to get back up there. Talk with her coaches. Sometimes some gentle encouragement and positive reinforcement for even trying a skill on the low beam can go a long way in rebuilding her confidence. If there is a coach she feels very comfortable with, maybe a little sit down chat before/after practice would help.

a girl who i use to be on pre team with use to have a problem like this. the coach started her off on a floor beam, then lightly spotted her on low & spotted her high and gradually pulled away. She seems to be doing ok now! she just needs to work up her confidence a little bit! dont worry, shell be fine!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back