Parents Femoral Anteversion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

well, lots of kids have this and mostly in girls. they usually outgrow it by 10 or 11 from what i've seen. of course gymnastics would be the best activity they could do.

sometimes the Docs put them in braces. and worse case they need corrective surgery.

When Bella was born her left leg turned inward. It was particularly noticeable with her foot. We took her to Shriner's and after a few tests, the doctors assured her that as she started walking, the weight of her body would straighten her leg up and even if it didn't, like Dunno said, they could try braces. The walking straightened it up almost perfectly.

You can't tell anything about it 99% of the time. The only time I ever think I see it is in her handstand. I notice that her left foot always looks a little inverted. Mostly it just looks like she isn't pointing tightly enough and I think that as her coaches continue to work form and tightness that it won't be at all noticeable. But it doesn't interfere with gym at all.

Thanks for your comments. We don't have an official diagnosis as of yet. She will be 8 years old in October. I have the same problem, but I never grew out of it. I can't even sit indian-style.

Very interesting! I would like to hear more!

DD's toes turned in when she first started walking as a toddler, but the pediatrician assured us that as she started walking more it would naturally straighten them. We let it go. Just recently (in the last few months) the same pediatrician said her femurs were actually twisted and that's why her feet turn in and that again, they would naturally straighten out as she grows.

Now, I'm wondering if I need to look further into this! I don't really notice it when she's walking (might just be because I'm used to it??), but I DEFINITELY notice it in the gym - as does her coach. She has a tough time keep her knees up in a straddle, turning her foot out in splits, or keeping good turn out at all really. Hmm.....

Thank you for sharing your experiences. During stretching my daughter has issues keeping her knees turned up in a straddle as well, she naturally has them rolled forward (big toe on the mat). She also has difficult adjusting into a proper splits position. I noticed when she lunges for skills, her front foot is turned inward right before she kicks into handstands and cartwheels. I have some action shots and noticed when I went back through them. Her vault run is awkward. She LOVES beam but she definitely walks with her feet turned in and it throws her balance off. She fell off the beam just standing on it a couple days ago. It was a bad fall too. They were just doing simple bunny hops and she put her feet together side by side (which is awkward since she normally has her feet turned in a little) and she just fell, straddled the beam, smacked her stomach, and her face. Normally she isn't quite that klutzy, but if she isn't really focused then the 'problem' takes over.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. During stretching my daughter has issues keeping her knees turned up in a straddle as well, she naturally has them rolled forward (big toe on the mat). She also has difficult adjusting into a proper splits position. I noticed when she lunges for skills, her front foot is turned inward right before she kicks into handstands and cartwheels. I have some action shots and noticed when I went back through them. Her vault run is awkward. She LOVES beam but she definitely walks with her feet turned in and it throws her balance off. She fell off the beam just standing on it a couple days ago. It was a bad fall too. They were just doing simple bunny hops and she put her feet together side by side (which is awkward since she normally has her feet turned in a little) and she just fell, straddled the beam, smacked her stomach, and her face. Normally she isn't quite that klutzy, but if she isn't really focused then the 'problem' takes over.

Sounds just like my DD!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back