FIG rules

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I have heard at my gym that their has been discussion of changing the width on the beam to 20 cm instead of 10 (8 inches instead of 4). Most people are pretty sure that is won't happen, especially anytime soon, but has anyone else heard this any where or have any info about whats happening?
I'm just curious, I also doubt it will happen, it just wouldn't feel right to compete on a beam that is that wide.
I think that the discussion is happening because there is safety concerns with round off or back handspring (with 2 feet) to dismount. You are taught to land and flip, but if a foot misses you still jump and don't get any push off of the other.
Any thoughts?

yes, this is true. i hope to see this in my lifetime. it will reduce foot injuries maybe altogether. 4' ain't working for most girls feet.

Seriously? Daaaaang. Never thought I'd say this, but I'll miss my teensy tiny beam. I could see 6", but 8"?

I do love beam, though. I'm not exactly...good...at it, but I love watching it and working on it. I think there's something amazing about doing flips on a 4" piece of wood that just wouldn't be the same if it was wider. I'm all for reducing injuries, though...what sort of injuries does the beam cause, other than missing a foot on a dismount?

torn and broken toes and broken foot bones. the feet are the most important limbs in gymnastics.

Wow thats big!! Well for these girls use to doing skills with 4" it will be like doing skills on the floor instead of a beam at 8".

If they were to change it I would like to see it to 6in not 8 in. * inches would seem way to big a. also they would have to change the value of some skills because a bhs on a 8in wide beam is not nearly as hard as a bhs on a 4in wide beam. I could see the purpose of why they want to change it but it seems like it would be a big hastle to change it. I saw somewhere on gymnasticscoaching.com that someone made a beam that the beam was still 4in wide but the ends were wider for that reason.

I've been puzzling over this thread and my diary ... but it's definitely not April 1st.
I've racked up my share of toe fractures on beam, but I just can't summon up a shred of enthusiasm for this idea.
Turns and leaps would become pointless. Anything you can do on floor can be done blindfolded on 8 inches. There wouldn't be a deduction for falling - it would be vitually impossible to fall. Maybe you'll just be disqualified instead? You won't be able to do korbuts. Press handstands would look off. Maybe we'll start calling it "raised floor excercise without music".
Maybe beams need to be sprung like floors so you reduce risk of stress fractures as well.
It would make so much more sense to me to just ban two-foot landings - they look ugly anyway. Step-outs are much more elegant. So what if you lose a roundoff dismount? At least it'd only be the dismount that's less interesting - instead of the whole routine.
Come on - surely this is a practical joke??
Although the idea of a normal beam that is wider only at the ends might be bearable.

I never knew how much I loved the skinny little beam either, until I heard it might be changed. I always joke about how the beam should be wider. But with that possibility out there I don't like to think it anymore. Gymnasts would no longer be the people who can flip a bazillion feet in the air and land back on 4 inches of ground, it would be 8 inches and that is not as impressive.
I would definitively miss beam, even though it is my least favorite event!

In one breath I'm like "YES I'd soo have my back walkover and back handspring on an 8 in. beam!!"
In the next breath I'm like "Noo. I like the 4 in. beam. There is just something about doing things on a 4 in. beam! Skills would be completely different!"

I mean, maybe they could make a compromise, like a 6 in. beam. I dunno, changing the beam to twice it's width seems a little drastic.

Wow--this is really interesting. If they do increase the width, then that can change a lot of things. I remember in the movie Stick It! they had to use a much wider beam for Wei Wei's beam routine because she did a lot of break dancing on it. If the width increases, then it will definitely allow for some more creative dance elements. I can see the wider beam causing issues for hand grips for handstands however. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how long it will take to put this in place.

Im interested too in seeing just how this plays out. I think beam is a very elegant graceful event. Will it lose that effect if the beam is wider? I think as someone else suggested they widen it at the ends would be a great idea. That way for safety reasons the girls have the platform to do their dismounts and any double footed landings but also have the narrower part to have the hand grips and such needed for other skills. Very interesting to see just what comes of this. Seems like there are alot of changes in the works..lol

2.54 centimeters= 1 inch. 15.24 would be precise with edges.

Interesting. I think 6" wide would be good. I am always in awe that anyone can do anything on a 4" wide beam. I would love to see it in my DDs gym lifetime. I can't imagine her doing anything above L6 on beam right now. LOL.

After reading through this and thinking about it all day, my thoughts on an 8" beam is "What's the point?" I mean, what special skill would that be? Where is the separation of who is good and who is really good, or even great, skilled, precise? I know 8" is still really small compared to floor, but come on, does anyone think this will really happen? I think there'd be too much opposition to such a wide beam. Now, a little wider at the ends, maybe, but still.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back