Parents First injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymbee06

Proud Parent
So tonight my dd hurt her toe on beam iced and went back for the rest of training but was walking and running on her heel for the remaining time, when it came to leaving she cod put her shoe or weight wall properly it had swollen and was badly bruised right on the top of her foot where the toe joins, I honestly didn't know what to do with her so off to a and e we went to find out it's broken they stuck some tape on it and off we went.
Sooo does anyone have any idea how long it will take to heal/stop hurting? Should she just carry on at gym as normal they didn't say anything about keeping her off gym?
Thanks

Maybe you could consult an orthopedist? My dd hurt her elbow over a month ago. It wasn't broken, but we took her to an orthopedist anyway. It hurt alot and our coach wouldnt allow her to do anything other than conditioning until the orthopedist said so. It took a good 5 weeks.

We had our first injury 7 weeks ago- broken 4th toe :( I did bring her to an orthopedist and he said she could do pretty much whatever didn't hurt. He gave her a boot which she wore to school and we buddy taled it to the 3rd and 5th for practice. She did mostly bars for almost 2 weeks, was close to 100% by week 4, and competed on Sunday (so 6 weeks 6 days after injury) good luck!!!!! Ice and ibuprofen says this pharmacist!!!

Trying to upload pic..let's see if this works...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
My daughter just got over a stress fracture of the big toe. I recommend that you consult an orthopedist who deals with athletes. My daughter wore a boot for three weeks and could only do conditioning at practice - no tumbling or beam or hard landings. After the boot came off she was allowed to ease back into regular activity as long as there was no pain. The ortho we saw worked with lots of young athletes and understood what my daughter was doing at a normal gymnastics practice. Good luck!

Reactions: sce
My daughter just got over a stress fracture of the big toe. I recommend that you consult an orthopedist who deals with athletes. My daughter wore a boot for three weeks and could only do conditioning at practice - no tumbling or beam or hard landings. After the boot came off she was allowed to ease back into regular activity as long as there was no pain. The ortho we saw worked with lots of young athletes and understood what my daughter was doing at a normal gymnastics practice. Good luck!
Ooooo poor thing! :( I hear the big toe is a much bigger deal. Glad she's doing better!

Yeah, we forget just how hard those big toes work! She's fine now. And it wasn't even a "sudden" injury. The ortho said it was due to the repetitive nature of landing hard during tumbling.

Thanks for the replies it's her 3rd and I've been told to make her walk on it straightaway, we have gym tonight so I will call them and see what they want me to do with her, off school today as she refuses to put any shoes on because it hurts too much she's only 7 and has never hurt herself or been in pain for anything and will complain if something hurts but has never had anything where it's hurt for longer than a couple if hour
Don't fancy our chances of seeing an orthopedist we were only seen by nurses at the hospital and to see and orthopedist in the uk I would need a doctor to refer me and that isn't going to happen for a "broken toe" as I've been told

Thanks for the replies it's her 3rd and I've been told to make her walk on it straightaway, we have gym tonight so I will call them and see what they want me to do with her, off school today as she refuses to put any shoes on because it hurts too much she's only 7 and has never hurt herself or been in pain for anything and will complain if something hurts but has never had anything where it's hurt for longer than a couple if hour
Don't fancy our chances of seeing an orthopedist we were only seen by nurses at the hospital and to see and orthopedist in the uk I would need a doctor to refer me and that isn't going to happen for a "broken toe" as I've been told
I got really lucky-my mom is a nurse at the big orthopedic group in the area so I snuck right in first thing...good luck! Sending good mojo...:)

I'm loathe to tell you anything other than see an orthopedist, but if it's not likely to happen, then talk to the coaches. They're likely to have some prior experience. Or, if you can get in touch with a physical therapist, ask them.

Can you consult with a pt or something? The advice to be up and walking on it right away seems a bit off to me. Certainly she shouldn't be tumbling on it bare footed. Sure it is "just a toe" when an adult or child who spend most if their day sitting does it; but getting out there and tumbling and doing dismounts on it is a different thing. At a minimum I'd tell the coaches that it is broken and see about doing conditioning and bars (what she can, no dismounts) only. One of ds's teammates had a broken toe and when he started doing full practices again he started with wearing sneakers for a bit of support/ protection

my DD has had numerous injuries (bad luck, only one was gym related), and we found that the ortho didn't do much for toes especially if not broken. DD stays off foot until it does not hurt at all. That takes awhile, and even after that coaches were very careful getting her back into things. I would not push her to get back to jumping and landing :)

With DD's broken toes, she buddy taped and had a shoe from them that didn't bend for a few weeks. She was told she could do whatever didn't hurt.

Trying to upload pic..let's see if this works...

wow. pretty good fracture. not much you can do except buddy tape. she'll do what she can. the beauty of gymnastics is that if something is killing to much they can't do it. pain will be her guide until it heals. :)

as i've posted before...toes and fingers don't stop us. :)

wow. pretty good fracture. not much you can do except buddy tape. she'll do what she can. the beauty of gymnastics is that if something is killing to much they can't do it. pain will be her guide until it heals. :)

as i've posted before...toes and fingers don't stop us. :)
Nope it didn't! She competed 7 weeks after that :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back