Parents First L3 meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She came, she saw, she competed.

Her scores were not fabulous, but she was right there in the middle of the pack. Came in 4th AA. Not bad for the baby of the team.

More important to me, though, was that she was smiling through the whole thing (even the hot mess of a FX), had a great time, and said she felt like she did the best she could do. She's still excited about practice, and is still excited about more meets.

So, while this isn't the type of success most would post on here, it's what we're calling a success in our house. She wasn't "blow you away" amazing in her skills, but at 5 years old, she went out there and had a blast doing what she loves!

So, while this isn't the type of success most would post on here, it's what we're calling a success in our house. She wasn't "blow you away" amazing in her skills, but at 5 years old, she went out there and had a blast doing what she loves!

That is all that matters. I am glad that she had such a great time :)

That's the type of thing that SHOULD be posted on here! Glad she had a blast--and hope that continues!

Having fun I think is more important ecspecailly at the age and level your daughter is at . I have seen lots of girls who place well quit because they are not having fun or are putting to much pressure on themselves.

Thanks, everyone!

That was kind of the point I was making - that for us, success is having fun, doing your best, and keeping the excitement of the sport alive.

I saw a post a few weeks ago where a mom sounded so sad - thinking that everyone was doing amazing, what was wrong with her daughter? I just wanted to try to share a different perspective. Success can be measured many ways :D

She came, she saw, she competed.

Her scores were not fabulous, but she was right there in the middle of the pack. Came in 4th AA. Not bad for the baby of the team.

More important to me, though, was that she was smiling through the whole thing (even the hot mess of a FX), had a great time, and said she felt like she did the best she could do. She's still excited about practice, and is still excited about more meets.

Congrats to your dd!!! And I agree with the other poster(s) that said that these are the types of successes that SHOULD be posted here. You are so correct in that success can be measured in many ways. In reality, the majority of people on here don't have superstar gymmies that blow everyone away in the gym or at competitions but may feel intimidated to post their dd's "successes" because they may not be looked at as "successful".

I feel that with your attitude and how you support your daughter in this sport (being supportive and always her "cheerleader", making sure she is having fun and still excited about practice and upcoming meets regardless of the scores or how she finishes) your dd will last very long in this sport. Way to go mom!!! You get a gold medal in my book for being a great supportive parent!!!

Congrats to your little one! So glad to hear she had a blast at the meet. Meets should be fun! Even now after several years of competing, they remain my dd's favorite thing about gymnastics. I think if she ever starts hating meets, she will be done. Sounds like your little one is doing great!

Success can most definitely be measured in many different ways...:)

Glad to hear that your DD had a fabulous time. Gym should be fun, and meets should be the icing on the cake...even with a "hot mess" floor routine :p (we have had a few of those ourselves with younger DD!)

I hate the pressure that is put on young gymmies (and older gymmies for that matter) with meets. My 6 y.o. will be competing L4 in January and my biggest wish for her is that she has a blast at every meet. Glad your daughter is enjoying herself!

Great to hear that she enjoyed herself so much! My DD (7) competed for the first time this year, they did 4 competitions and her highest placing was 6th equal AA in one of them. After her fourth competition (last of the season) she told me how much she had enjoyed it! I was very happy to hear this, as I was concerned she may have been feeling the pressure or disappointed at not winning prizes. I think she enjoyed the whole thing - dressing up in the club leotard, getting her hair done, marching on with the team, and of course, performing her routines.

Nicki, sounds just like my 7 yo DD - she's done 2 meets and placed 6th AA in both! :D

IrenicMom - my DD is so strong and has such great potential, but she's immature and inconsistent at the moment, which is totally normal for many little girls her age. One day she may be a superstar (or not), but either way we are just enjoying the ride. I'm glad your DD is too. Well done for her efforts!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back