WAG Flipping the yurchenko

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shadow

Coach
I have a gymnast who is more than ready to flip the yurchenko but she is scared. She has very good timers and block and height is not an issue. She tells me that she doesn't know how to flip without touching the ground. I have never had a gymnast with this issue before! So, I'm asking if anyone knows any drills that help this specifically! Is there any drills out there that help with the flip?

Have you tried anything like this?

Vault drill - YouTube

Or even things like tsuks into the bit from a cheesemat etc. Those will get her flipping things over "without touching her feet" in a way that might be less scary.

Teach her a "cody" on trampoline.

[video=youtube;Sfyaj2RkPjo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfyaj2RkPjo[/video]

Last edited:
These drills are great! Unfortunately GymCoachR2, we do not have a foam block pit or anything high enough for her to try these one. But thank you!

These drills are great! Unfortunately GymCoachR2, we do not have a foam block pit or anything high enough for her to try these one. But thank you!

How about an overhead spotting rig? You could do that drill with a rig and no foam pit.

She'll get it eventually if her fundamental movements from the hurdle through to the block are what they should be. There's a saying that goes "If you spend enough time hanging out at the barber shop, eventually you'll end up with a haircut." I think the intent of the saying is that sometimes you just have to let it come to you. That extra time may provide a huge advantage for this kid, because she's gonna be refining all of the sequences that lead to the block, improve her block efficiency and angle, and when you get down to it, that's what makes for a consistently good vault.

So modify the way the drill gets done. Try working with a bhs that blocks into rotation as these kids have done, but set it up so its done from a raised stable surface to a slightly higher resi or safety stack, but not into a full salto....... just to her back (watch out for her knees to the nose). The safety stack can be raised as she gets better at blocking and initiating rotation to the point she's thinking "why don't I just do the real deal."

The best part of this is there's no climbing out of a pit, and hardly any time needed between reps so she can get about 100 done per week. At that rate, she'll be begging to salto from her hands in about 4 to 5 weeks, so let her bake at 450 (repetitions) to a golden perfection.

I have a gymnast who is more than ready to flip the yurchenko but she is scared. She has very good timers and block and height is not an issue. She tells me that she doesn't know how to flip without touching the ground. I have never had a gymnast with this issue before! So, I'm asking if anyone knows any drills that help this specifically! Is there any drills out there that help with the flip?

==
do you know how to spot them? not bump but spot.

Thanks again everyone! We have resi pits that we vault into so at least its something. We have been vaulting over a whale mat( level 4 vault mat) on to an incline, where the girls miss their feet and rotate to their backs. She can do that fine most of the time. We always set the incline higher than the vault so they can practice blocking. Yes, i do know how to spot. We always have 2 spotters when they are flipping. Sorry JBS I'm pretty sure we don't have an overhead spotting ring because I don't know what it is:)

one drill would be to make the mat stack higher than the vault. you can also have her think of it as a round-off/double back with a little help from the table. I've also seen the timer to the feet on a mat stack then a standing back tuck as a drill. I tend to catch the back side of the skill after they start the flip, kind of like catching a double back. It will all depend on how comfortable the kid is going ahead and starting the flip.

I think she might have figured it out:) She asked me about it tonight and she says she thinks she can do it! I honestly think she was over thinking and it made her scared. We are still drilling and working toward the flip! Thanks for your help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back