MAG Floor (back tumbling)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I have problem with throwing my head back with things like double back. And I don't know where I am during twisting due to this. Sometimes when I go for 1 1/2 I pull a double or when I go for double I will triple. I'm trying to relearn the basics of floor since I'm starting to come back to the gym and I want to make floor on of my stronger events. I really need an Arabian double also. Anyone have good ideas for DRILLS AND CONDITIONING FOR FLOOR for the elements I talked about?

For me it was to go back to basic timers for the skills until I figured out where my head should be and where my body need to be

More trampoline work. Learn all of your skills on a regular 7x14 trampoline. Make sure you are not traveling and flying off of the trampoline.

Get to the point you can do twists on command in 1/2s. I've even heard of some gymnasts being able to do it in 1/4's.

Anyone have good ideas for DRILLS AND CONDITIONING FOR FLOOR for the elements I talked about?

Seriously, you just back after a month off and you are all beat to heck and you are doing double backs? I hope you're not.

Hopefully your coach is training depth jumps and drop and plyo jumps off boxes. This is not something you should be concerned with.

A good idea? Squats or Deadlift, or SplitSquats or Bulgarian Step-Ups.. The chinese are required to do a 2xBS (men). All of the plyometrics designed by the Russians were developed for athletes who could at minimum BS 1.5xBW.

A better idea...heal first or you will be back at square 1.

Get to the point you can do twists on command in 1/2s. I've even heard of some gymnasts being able to do it in 1/4's.

Yep...we require all of our gymnasts to 1/2 up to whatever they are working. In other words...if they are doing double fulls...they must do a 1/2...a full...and a 3/2 before they can do doubles. They also must be at least a 1/2 twist up on trampoline compared to floor...must be able to do a 3/2 on tramp in order to work fulls on floor.

Thanks and yea my coach is very tough... I know it's stupid to do be going all out but I've been injured all year and I'm finally better and it feels great to be able to train without pain. I'm just conditioning a lot. But THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE!

Well, that's good to hear you're not in pain anymore. Get it, man.

Seriously, you just back after a month off and you are all beat to heck and you are doing double backs? I hope you're not.

Hopefully your coach is training depth jumps and drop and plyo jumps off boxes. This is not something you should be concerned with.

A good idea? Squats or Deadlift, or SplitSquats or Bulgarian Step-Ups.. The chinese are required to do a 2xBS (men). All of the plyometrics designed by the Russians were developed for athletes who could at minimum BS 1.5xBW.

A better idea...heal first or you will be back at square 1.

Could you go more in depth about your conditioning like what are bs and bw and what are Bulgarian step ups?

very good point about not doing plyos (especially drop jumps) without at least a 1.5 bw squat... plyos without enough basic strength are hell for joints and all the other passive structures of the body.

Plyos= Plyometrics, sometimes known as the "Shock System" by Verkhoshansky. Like jumping off a block, punching off the floor back on to another box. Sometimes you might do tuck jumps and front flips over blocks in a series on floor.

GymnasticBodies.com - Senders Plus - YouTube "Senders" aka a plyometric box series across floor.

OverSpeedTraining - Articles: Bulgarian Leg Training Secrets Bulgarian Step-Up. Basically it's like a lunge though a bit safer than a back squat. You want to step on a box and have the stepping leg on top of the box to have the thigh roughly parallel to the floor. Big Step Up generally done with DB (though it's possible to do with a bar though a bit dangerous).

back-squat.jpg

Back Squat.

Bare in mind as a gymnast, you'd never want to get too huge and massive as that isn't great for pommels or rings. Then again, if you don't lift 25hrs a week that's less likely to happen much less with 15 or 5 or 1 hour/week.

After my kids can do good lunges, they do them with dumbbells or a light bar on their back. Sometimes they may just do DB squats with the weights being set on mats to either side of them or a bar unless I want to lift a bar and put it on their back and take it off (kind of time consuming but multiple bars will help though I feel these should be done with at least a squat rack). I'm not exactly a fan of putting a bar on gymnastics back but well...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back