Floor Muisc...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xxStumpyxx

Proud Parent
I have no experience with the main stream side of competitive gymnastics. My daughter was given floor music for a small competition last year, it is balletic style (slow and floaty) and doesnt suit her at all (more of a fast paced music kind of girl). This music was given to her and another girl.
Would she have to keep this floor music? Would I be over steeping the boundaries by asking the coach about this, we have been given the coaches email and told to email with any questions regarding grades and other aspects of training.

My daughter hates her floor music (not the routine), I feel (righly or wrongly) that they should have music that suits them and they semi like as that would reflect in their "performance"

We had same issue last year, music did not suit DDs style, routine didn't work for her, so she scored a super low score at grades (under 10). DD is powerful so dainty music just didn't work and the judges could see it.

Luckily her coach agreed that it didn't work for her, so she swapped for the rest of last year. There is no harm in asking, because if it doesn't suit their style of gymnastics, then it won't help their scores and they won't enjoy it.

depends on the club, some have a number of set routines and music choices and hand them out and that's your lot. Last 2 routines of Pinks we made up together and chose her music, the coaches couldn't be bothered but didn't mind if we did it. It has now been passed on to someone else in that club.

usually a set routine can be put to differnt music with very little adjustment, if you come up with a cut piece ( no longer than 1.30) (search gymnastic music on youtube) they should be okay with it.

Asking can't hurt. Unless her coach is keen on everyone keeping the same floor music? I know that's what I do with the little ones. It does inevitably result in the music suiting some girls more than others. But yes, I would ask. But frame it in the right way.

Also, I've heard that music before! I could swear it's one of my former teammates' floor music. What are the odds!

I thought you weren't doing grades because you were away? If you aren't doing grades then now is a very bad time to be bothering your club with music issues. Wait until grades are over. I think it is fine for kids to share routines until they get to a higher level. By then you know how they perform and compete and what moves are their strengths and you can choreograph accordingly.

Reactions: sce
Yeah, that's certainly something to consider. If coaches are working towards competitions starting soon, they'll probably be stressed enough as it is. For instance, I choreograph all floor routines myself and it takes me days to get them done, followed by adjustments made in the gym based on how the gmnasts handle the dance / poses. Running routines can get frustrating, so if your season is coming up, I'd backpaddle and say wait until season is over and everything has calmed down a little.

If you do decide to take action, I would - from a coach's point of view - appreciate a parent saying "So how do you think X's floor routine is coming along? She mentioned she wasn't quite feeling the music" or the like. Nothing that could be taken as an attack.

Performance points are very minimal by the way, unless the UK is totally diferent in that aspect. :)

I Agree the time isn't right, I will wait until after grades, she doesn't need to use her music at the moment so is not a huge deal for her, thanks for the advice, she might end with different floor music next time she does a competition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back