Floor Music Problem

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can anyone please tell me if they have every had trouble with music selection for optionals with their gyms? My gym creates custom music and I currently don't like the selections they picked for my dd and I'm really having a hard time trying to get it changed. Is this the way it's usually done, meaning the choregrapher chooses the music without you having a choice of a few tunes to pick from? Any help would be most appreciated. (Also, we pay plenty $$$ for this service and I cannot see why we wouldn't get to have a couple of selections to choose from).
Thanks so much !

Our girls get to listen to what the coach has, and that is plenty, the coach tells them which ones they think will work the best for them and then they choose. Parents don't usually have a lot of input, but parents can give the coach music that they like. Our music is free as is the choreo.

I think if I was paying a lot of money I would expect to have some input, or at least be able to hear the choices.

dd and floor coach have always worked with the choregrapher to select the music. (she has had a new routine every 2 years since becoming an optional) As the parent I am not included. I've never had a problem with this as I am sure they have a much better feel for it that I would.

At our gym you can bring in your own music and they also can pick the music. They picked something totally different then my DD would have ever chosen for herself. They said it fit her style more. But they left the decision up to her and she ended up loving it. They don't want her to compete something that she doesn't like. How does your DD feel about it?

I actually have two dd's in level 7 and the one dd's music is awesome (a complete piece of music/one track of a soundtrack), the other dd's music is a composition of about 3 or 4 tracks of a soundtrack that just sounds, well "choppy". I'm sure it would be fine for choreography as far as her talents go, however, an untrained ear would just listen to the music and it wouldn't be a "complete" song/tune. I guess I'm trying to say that it lacks continuity as far as the musical composition is concerned. They cut and mix the music themselves. Both dd's liked the music, but I can see paying close to $300.00 and me not liking this music for two years. I'm thinking there is plenty of other music to suit her skills. Thanks for all your help !

Both dd's liked the music, QUOTE]

That is the most important part. Gymnasts shouldn't choose music, or be given music, based on other peoples opinion. The most important part is that the gymnast loves it and that it suits her. Think of it this way, she is using it for two years, you will only have to listen to it a few times (once at meets, and anytime you are watching her practice), she will have to listen to it hundreds of times. You wouldn't want her to have something she hates but something you like. However, it she knows of a song that she would prefer to have maybe you could talk it over with her coach.
In the end, if she is stuck with this music, make sure you don't talk negetivly about it around her because you don't want to pass your opinion on and have her dislike it because you do.

Music is an important decision as an optional - it's what makes FX fun and allows each gymnast to express themselves!

Yes, you are paying for it, but it's that time to remember: who's gymnastics is this? Your DD is the one who must not only like the music as music, but must feel comfortable with performing a routine to that music. This is one of those times that as a parent you must step back and let the experts handle it. In this case, your DD is one of those experts - she knows what type of music will work for her - unless she has voiced concerns that she isn't comfortable with how she'll perform to that piece, it may be best to stay out of it.

On the piece being a compilation of tracks - it's done quite often and if choreographed well, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Music has to be dynamic to incorporate both tumbling and dance elements and sometimes this is done with tracks that are not from one piece. There was one girl in our region who as a younger optional had the most entertaining routines with music for at least 2 seasons that was a compilation of different theme music from TV and movies - it was really fun to watch!

A good choreographer matches a gymnast's style of movement with the music - again, unless your DD finds the music uncomfortable, I wouldn't insert myself into the process.

My DD has always worked with her coaches in final music selection. Seems to be the more common way, around here anyway.

the floor music choice is between the coach, the choreographer and the gymnast. everyone else keep out...:)

I have to say, blended tracks are high on the list of our gym's no go areas. There is so much music out there that can be cut without mixing pieces.

Dunno would you be open to a gymnast bringing music in, you get first refusal though? That is how it works for us. No harm done, as long as you have no illusions, or dilusions, of it being "the one".

Yes Bog. the kids bring in music from time to time because it's something they like, but will rarely work out due to the music they have chosen versus their style. it is helpful when they like the music but more important that they like and feel the routine.

p.s. my wife just got up. she laughed when i brought up the issue. she says it never ceases to amaze her when the kids bring music in to listen to that is so far off the reservation to that child's ability or style that she must coax them back in to the real world of what they will actually be able to do. she also says that when the parents (usually mom) want a certain music, the child cries in the gym at how "embarrasing" the music selection is. the kids just don't want to hurt their parents feelings and that's normal. in the end, she reiterates that the job of floor/music is best left to the coach, the choreo and the athlete.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they're doing their own mix of music it has to flow and shouldn't be choppy like you described. If the gymnast can't get a feel for it then the coaches need to either fix the mix or pick another song.

This is our first year in optionals, and we're in a new gym. Our gym is also small so there aren't a lot of options to use an old routine like we had at our old gym. I know my dd would've loved to have had a pop song by Lady Gaga or Ke$ha as her floor routine music but they just didn't suite her. Her choreographer and I listened to several different songs before I found the one she chose. The choreographer even said, don't look any more, this is the one, this is her.

Since you have to pay so much for the music I think it should be something that your dd is happy with. Have her sit with the coaches or whoever choreographs the routines, and find something that feels better, to her. We may not like what they pick but like some of the other posters said, it's her routine.

Thanks - I actually let the coach listen to the music and she approves, so I'm not going to push it. If anything, it will be a learning curve for my 8 and 9 year olds to make sure they LOVE their music. They're ages had me concerned that they may get bored with the music after one season - unless of course they do well with it ! I'll keep my fingers crossed :) The more I listen to it, it seems to grow on me so I'll like it for my dd sake.

Our level 7s inherit floor routines from the older girls. level 8 you get your own original one. The girls are happy with this, as are the parents, because it is free. I just don't want her getting "hey big spender" because I hate little girls doing suggestive songs.:mad:

Oh I agree with your wife Dunno, some of the things kids have brought in have been horrific. They do not think that they will be stuck with it for two years and that just because that booty shaking music is great for Shakira, it will NOT be great for them.

I think the coach and gymnast trying to find something that they both like and that will fit the gymnast is clearly the way to go.

The cost of choreo and music is a whole other topic!

jdf - I totally agree - no suggestive music - some of the swing/40's music sounds like stripper music - kinda like one part of the old level 5 music!

I hated that level 5 stripper music! All of the parents were joking that if college doesn't work out, there's always the pole;)

At our gym, the gymnasts are allowed their input but the choreographer and the coach are the ultimate decision makers as they know the personality of the gymnast as well as the skills they perform best. The gymnast brings in several selections and if the coach does not like them, they are allowed to bring in more until they can settle on something that works best for the gymnast. As everyone has stated previously, the gymnast has to be happy with the selection (not mom or dad) or they will not perform well and that just hurts everyone so not having "some" input or choice can be bad.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back