Floor music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tumblequeensmom

Proud Parent
I thought I had posted this earlier, but who knows....

Please give me your opnion on the following situation:

DD had been training L7 2 years ago. She developed some serious fears/mental blocks and decided she was DONE AFTER I had paid for her choreographer, as well as her CD for her floor music. The gym did not return my CD. DD went to a diff. gym for a very successful year of Prep Op and is now back doing L7. And I repeat I paid for her floor music and the gym did not return it.

Her new team had her first meet against old gym this a.m. Imagine my surprise when I hear DD's music being played for one of their new L7s!!!! Granted, I know they could have gone and bought the music on their own... however, I know that they kept MY CD and just gave it to someone else. DD's old teammates even looked over at my daughter and even grimaced when the music began, because they KNEW it was her music. It was music that WE dug around and found for her when she was developing her routine that year. DD was furious and I was not real happy about it either. It seems like they should have returned my CD to me, or at the very least asked if they could keep it and use it for someone else. But considering this gym and their reputation, I'm not really surprised!

What is your opinion of this situation? To me, it just seems a tad bit shady and/or unethical.

That doesn't sound right to me. You DID buy the music, and it's weird enough to me that they didn't give you the music when you left. After all, if you buy it, I'm pretty sure that it's yours.

Personally, I wouldn't be very happy about this as a gymnast either. I've switched gyms before and it's awkward enough WITHOUT them giving you funny looks because they KNOW that they took your music.

Seems to me they should have contacted you and asked if you wanted the music back or wanted to sell it to this other girl. It was your CD and you should have had the decision on what to do with it.

Let's look at this unemotionally. Floor music is available online to everyone. Unless this music was a custom piece of music made specifically for you, you don't have special rights to it. Gyms recycle music all the time. And you inevitably hear the same pieces of music at meets - different gyms, different gymnasts. A gym will usually have a copy of all their gymnasts' music - so whether you got the cd back or not, they would have a copy b/c they must have all the music for meets.

Yep ... unfortunately it is a bummer but c'est la vie. Many gyms re-use music all the time. Still, it would have been nice for them to return something you rightfully own. (ie - the CD). Floor music however is free reign to whoever can get access to it.

I agree with gigglesmom. It is unfortunate but floor music unless it was specially custom made for you can be purchased by anyone. And I'm not trying to make small of this however it has been 2 years and if you wanted that CD it really was your responsibility to contact the gym within a week or so to say you would be coming to pick it up. 2 years is a long time to expect anyone to just hold that music for you. Business in general don't make efforts to contact clients when things are left behind to return them. It really is your job to get your DD's stuff in a timely way.

I go to meets all the time and there are many times were the same music is played over and over. just this week end that music "pirates" was played no less than 4 time just within the Level 7 group, "Boloro" and "Going up to Boston" was repeated at least once too. I know in my area coaches do try to avoid using music they know is out there if they can but it does happen.

yep...that's a common practice in the industry. but i'll bet if you had asked for the music when you left they would have given you a copy. that is also a common practice.

Yeah, unfortunately the only thing that is weird to me is that they didn't return it to you (although unless you asked I wouldn't expect them to honestly - it's just too much to keep track of and there's no one really "in charge" of a process like that, you know? i.e. everyone would just think someone else probably took care of it or you didn't want it).

I think I've only paid for music once, and that was because I wanted a specific Bond song that hadn't yet been commercially cut when I was looking (but of course the same season I used it Floor Express came out with a cut of it. Since the law of pre-cut music is that they release like, one good piece every season, probably 30% of L9/10 states had that music that year...). I've even had someone else's entire old routine (twice maybe, I'm trying to remember) which is something that seems to be brought up as shocking on these boards but I've never thought much about it.

I would think it would be seriously weird for someone to call you at this point and ask to use it, I guess. That just doesn't happen. Most likely it was just in a stack of music and they didn't really think much of it. Did you ask them for it back?

Last edited:
Yes, I did ask for it back when we went back to tell them DD was going to quit. In all the emotion, though, I ended up walking out w/o it and should have gone back to get it anyway, but then things just started getting even weirder over there. Then, of course, I was banned from taking DD back to cheer on her teammates at the home meet... long story, but they totally lied to all the parents about the reasons I was banned, started firing coaches, pulling the kids into their office to speak to them individually about "do you know where so and so is going to open gym>", and other similar questions.... so I kind of forgot about it w/all their drama! Don't even want to make contact w/them now. I was just ticked off that it was MY money used to buy that CD, and obviously the girls who are still there who know my DD obviously knew something wasn't quite right w/the situation either.

... soooo... I'll just get over it. And be thankful we're gone and at a much better place now!

I don't find this very fair. I agree with Geta Grip. This isn't fair because you did pay for it!!! I would find out more about this and see if you can get it back. I don't know if this helped at all.:) Good luck!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back