Floor Routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Ok, I recently got my floor routine and i LOVE it but its really energetic and there is really no time to catch a breath i am fine up until my last tumble row where i cease to have any energy left any tips for fitness so that i can get through a floor routine?

To get your endurance up, you can run, jump rope, etc. Endurance is really what you need in the long run, and after awhile, you will notice it start to get easier and easier to do a routine! Doing many dance throughs of the routine in a row can help. Also doing the routine, but stopping the music at the tumbling passes, and sprinting across the floor 3 times in place of the tumbling.

For now, BREATH a lot during the routine! Really focus on trying not to push yourself too much. On the less-energetic parts, or dance parts, try to catch your breath.

My favorite method of endurance training is the "partial rutine", im sure coaches have thought of this before but it was i brought this idea to the attentions of my coaches to begin with. A "partial rutine" is a rutine with a lower level of tumbling (instead of doing a RO BHS BT you do a RO BHS) then have your coach stop the music and sprint back to your original position of the tumbling pass and then again back to the ending spot of your timbling pass, the rutine should be started over if you fall or make a outrageous mistake. I like partial rutines because i dont have to worry about my tumbling messing up and getting hurt, but it does improve endurance and you will be able to tell the difference when you attempt a full rutine.

P.S. i can run for hours on end and not be as tired as i would be if i did a full rutine so running doesnt always help

Im exactly like you, i can run for hours at a moderate pace but i am no where near as puffed as if i have dun a full routine :p

I think the difference with running is that it's not as demanding on the body. Doing sprints in the run for certain distances can help, or just run at a faster pace. In other words, don't run as if you're a marathon runner, run as if you are a sprinter that happens to be going a long distance. THAT can get tiring quickly!

My DD got her routine at the beginning of July 2010. Her's was also a very high energy routine, and she could NOT finish the routine w/o feeling like she was literally going to pass out. Her coaches really worked with ALL of the girls on their endurance so that by the time competition season rolled around, they had no problem getting through their floor routines. Don't worry, you have plenty of time. Have fun with your new routine!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back