Coaches Hoping I can get some advice on choreography for a floor routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nugtastic

Coach
Gymnast
I’m hoping this is like “allowed” or whatnot but my dancer/gymnast friend and I choreographed an Xcel Silver floor routine. We just had our first meet & as much as I am proud of them floor did not go as well as i’d hoped. The girls love their routine and so do I, but i’m not sure if the choreography we produced did them any good. I can post a video of myself doing it if need be but it’s to the Run Boy Run song from the Divergent movie. We decided when choreographing it that for the most part, the choreography should be strong/tough & in one part of the routine we added like a fake fight scene with a few punches and a side roll down to the floor as a “dodge”. That’s the main part that I am not sure if I need to change. Thanks in advance.

Coach/Judge - but not USAG, I work under FIG artistry but I don't believe artistry/choreography accounts for many potential deductions in USAG so perhaps the issue is elsewhere.

Personally I wouldn't use this music for a routine designed for multiple kids/young kids/kids who are not dramatic performers. From a quick Youtube search of competitive dance it is mostly teen + using this music - I would assume Xcel silvers are likely on the younger side.

Nothing highlights how boring a performance is to watch when there is dramatic music and the personality/performance style just doesn't match and the performer doesn't get into it - no matter how innovative the choreography is.

I think sometimes we try and make a routine look really impressive but when it is being done by a range of performers it just doesn't look good on most. So unless they are 100% into the fight scene it probably just looks corny/off.
You need to pick smart movements that make everyone look good. Some of the best mass use routines I have seen are actually fairly simple but made to look complex and everyone is able to perform it well.

The fake fight scenes probably don't play well across a group of Xcel Silvers and should probably be taken out. It could be a super cool routine for a kid with the personality to fit that, but with a whole group I can imagine some (or many) are just going through the motions. Replacing it with simpler dance/choreo that all the kids could do without needing to put a lot of presentation into might be the best route.

Coach/Judge - but not USAG, I work under FIG artistry but I don't believe artistry/choreography accounts for many potential deductions in USAG so perhaps the issue is elsewhere.

Personally I wouldn't use this music for a routine designed for multiple kids/young kids/kids who are not dramatic performers. From a quick Youtube search of competitive dance it is mostly teen + using this music - I would assume Xcel silvers are likely on the younger side.

Nothing highlights how boring a performance is to watch when there is dramatic music and the personality/performance style just doesn't match and the performer doesn't get into it - no matter how innovative the choreography is.

I think sometimes we try and make a routine look really impressive but when it is being done by a range of performers it just doesn't look good on most. So unless they are 100% into the fight scene it probably just looks corny/off.
You need to pick smart movements that make everyone look good. Some of the best mass use routines I have seen are actually fairly simple but made to look complex and everyone is able to perform it

You need to pick smart movements that make everyone look good. Some of the best mass use routines I have seen are actually fairly simple but made to look complex and everyone is able to perform it well.

Most of my kids are older and have competed a few years before. I did have a few that hit the moves sharp and clean , that scored pretty well. I had a hard time picking music for multiple reasons and I can see why it might not have been the best choice. But they LOVED it so l figured having the aspect of them like it, the music should help with enjoying doing the routine. I generally do choreograph with moves that follow a story & with the scene from the movie being kind of a “i can be brave and tough,” i think maybe we took that and ran a little too fast with it. It is too late to change music for them but I did rechoregraph it with moves that are more simple and can be hit at a sharper consistency. I appreciate the feedback!

The fake fight scenes probably don't play well across a group of Xcel Silvers and should probably be taken out. It could be a super cool routine for a kid with the personality to fit that, but with a whole group I can imagine some (or many) are just going through the motions. Replacing it with simpler dance/choreo that all the kids could do without needing to put a lot of presentation into might be the best route.
I went ahead and did change the choreography in the fight scene. When teaching it to them, they were obsessed with doing it every chance they got. So I just assumed they all were into it. I try to choreograph with a story in mind and with the movie , i took the themes and ran. i know they like the music because everyone chose that over the one i originally liked for them. I was hoping them liking the music would help them be into the choreography. Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back