Parents Flu with a touch of pneumonia

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello all! My daughter was diagnosed with influenza B with a touch of pneumonia two days ago. She has a meet this weekend although I don't think she will be strong enough to compete. The doctor at urgent care took her off restrictions after Thursday. BUT! She will see her regular pediatrician Thursday morning. I am worried that she will think she can get back to practice on Friday and am kind of hoping her regular doc will tell her to continue resting. Has anyone had a child who has had something similar? How long did it take for them to get back to full strength?

Thanks for any help!

My DDs and I had influenza A. Mine turned into bronchitis. My girls were out of practice for a full week and not fully back to themselves for another week or two after that. It took me a month to be able to breathe normally.

My son's BFF had flu that turned into pneumonia and he was out of school for 2 weeks, out of practice for I think 2.5.

I hope she gets better faster; but I'd give her coach a heads up.

Her coaches are well aware. Our gym hosted a meet last weekend and a day before diagnosis she was the score flasher for bars, I was very concerned for one of her pregnant coaches so I called them with "sirens blaring"! :p
I just don't want her to push herself too hard and delay full recovery! (Mama bear being protective I am sure.)

This flu really stinks. I hope that your DD can get over it faster than we did (but we did have A, I have heard that B isn't as bad). Just encourage her to really take it easy until she is better.

My daughter had the flu (forget which type...it was the 'worse one' to have) back in January. She had a meet on Saturday (did great) and woke up Sunday morning not feeling well. By evening, she had a high temp. I took her to her dr Monday morning and she started her on Tamiflu. However she still had a fever thru Wed. I kept her home from school thru Friday because I figured sending her to school for one day wasnt' worth it. However she really wanted to go to practice Friday afternoon. As this is their short day (3 hours) and she really was fine all day Friday, I let her go.

She was EXHAUSTED!! Her coaches knew she had been out with the flu and they were fine with having her only do what she felt she could do so she could ease in. When I picked her up, she practically fell asleep in the car. At home she told me she had no power and couldn't do anything!

So, I guess what I'm saying is, I probably wouldn't even send her to practice on Friday and perhaps just have her wear her leo to the meet on Sat to cheer the team on. That is if she can even manage going. As I said, it was really a full week plus weekend for my DD.

You don't mention what level she competes. My daughter is Level 8 and I know when they get to the higher levels, they don't want to miss a meet. But it seems the younger girls/lower levels are just as happy to get all dressed, glitter and hair and cheer the group on. You don't want to risk her getting a relapse.

Good luck!

My dd had flu b and was out of the gym for a full week tried going back too soon and made it a couple hours before coach sent her home, missed a meet and is just now feeling 100% 2 weeks later. Competed a meet this last weekend at probably 95%, I suggest not rushing as my dd was weak and tried pushing too hard once she got back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back