Parents Foam roller size and density question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmutti

Proud Parent
I have a 11 year old gymnast who would like a foam roller (Christmas present). Anyone know the best size and density? She is about 4'9" and 77 pounds. Thanks!

For rolling the hard the better it works, but that doesn't always mean they can tolerate it. My dd has rolled on pvc piping, it can put a girl in tears though. Honestly, she likes the little balls better or a tennis ball to really dig into a specific spot.

We have the 36 inch (length) -- it is about 6.5 inches around. Both my DD and I use it. I like the longer length, but they have them in the 18 in size too. That may be fine for a younger/smaller user.

They have the Gaiam brand at Target in the yoga section.

I got my freshly turned 12yo, 4'11" dancing daughter a high density foam 36" roller for her bday. It works really well for her, I don't think she would have liked a smaller one as much. This is the size they recommend at her studio. I got it on amazon, they have lots of choices... This one was just under $20 I think, they have cheaper ones but this one seems more durable and has denser foam.

Pretty much all of the foam ones compress over time.

We much prefer a small ball for hitting spots with better accuracy and pressure. Foam roller is a good warmup and helps loosen up (popping) the thoracic vertebra.

So lacrosse ball, golf ball, baseball, softball, etc.

Most of our trainers swear by this thing or another one like it.

http://www.roguefitness.com/the-backnobber.php

Pretty much all of the foam ones compress over time.

We much prefer a small ball for hitting spots with better accuracy and pressure. Foam roller is a good warmup and helps loosen up (popping) the thoracic vertebra.

So lacrosse ball, golf ball, baseball, softball, etc.

Most of our trainers swear by this thing or another one like it.

http://www.roguefitness.com/the-backnobber.php

My dd's old coach had one of those, we called it his sheppard's hook!

I thought this was going to be about meat hair!!!:D

Meat hair. :p
meat-hair.jpg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back