For those of you who know dance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Clover

Proud Parent
DD (young Level 5 gymnast) is interested in doing some dance. Her coach suggested dance to increase her artistry, but I want to find something DD enjoys. She tried ballet and didn't much care for it - too slow paced, at least at the beginner levels. Other than ballet, what type of dance could help with her artistry in gymnastics? There is no gymnastics dance classes around here, but there are lots of other types - jazz, modern, hip hop, tap, bollywood (whatever that is), etc etc.

Thanks!

My DD does jazz and enjoys it. It's really a blend of jazz, modern and hip hop, as they try out all sorts of dance styles in this one class. For this year's recital they are doing 50s rock n roll; last year they did a modern/hip hop type dance that they allowed her to do a BHS in (which got gasps of appreciation from the audience!). DD's class exposes her to different styles, which I think is good for her. They spend 2 terms working a lot on dance basics (classic jazz and some modern) and trying out short dance step combinations and choreographies, and term 3 they work on the recital dance. I have found that since she started doing jazz, she learns gymnastics choreographies more quickly and easily - her brain has been trained to remember steps and to constantly correct body positions.

I would probably go with jazz and some ballet. and Bollywood is dance from India.

DD (young Level 5 gymnast) is interested in doing some dance. Her coach suggested dance to increase her artistry, but I want to find something DD enjoys. She tried ballet and didn't much care for it - too slow paced, at least at the beginner levels. Other than ballet, what type of dance could help with her artistry in gymnastics? There is no gymnastics dance classes around here, but there are lots of other types - jazz, modern, hip hop, tap, bollywood (whatever that is), etc etc.

Thanks!

Ballet is very slow-paced, but is the foundation for all other kinds of dance, which is why it is so often recommended for gymnasts (for lack of turn-out, toe point, general body awareness and posture). I agree with GymBee and would go with a jazz class if your DD really doesn't want to take ballet (I can't get mine to take a ballet class either, for the same reasons!). It will be a little more fast paced but still teaches proper body positioning and should provide a foundation for her. I think our kiddos are so used to the excitement and action of gymnastics, that ballet seems boring. I have seen the most beautiful artistry from kids who have a solid dance background though - so the tediousness of ballet does pay off! Hope she finds a dance class that she enjoys :)

I would probably go with jazz and some ballet. and Bollywood is dance from India.

Ahhh. So, that is what Bollywood is. Everytime I heard the word it made me think of Dollywood (is that place still around?), and I would get a picture in my mind of Dolly Parton dancing.....

I too would suggest jazz if she can't enjoy ballet. Try to find a jazz class at a studio that emphasizes ballet basics. That way, she will still learn about posture, body positions, spotting, and other fundamental dance techniques that will help her gymnastics, but it will be to faster, more fun music.

In my opinion there is no other kind of dance that would help very much besides ballet. Ballet really is the foundation of all other types of dance. I would maybe allow her to take jazz but only if she will also take a ballet class. Tell her how much easier it will make learning any other type of dance later on and maybe show her some youtube videos of professional ballerinas so she can see where the hard work could get you. Also, you say your DD is young and sometimes it can take until they are a bit older for them to see ballet from a different perspective and understand the beauty of it :]

Ballet is definitely the foundations, but it is BORING for the girls, as others have said. Is there a lyrical type of dance class? My DD did the jass as well years ago and loved it. I just watching the Lyrical dances too, they've just beautiful.... kind of a combination between the ballet and modern dance. Am I right, Mdgymmom?

Ballet is definitely the foundations, but it is BORING for the girls, as others have said. Is there a lyrical type of dance class? My DD did the jass as well years ago and loved it. I just watching the Lyrical dances too, they've just beautiful.... kind of a combination between the ballet and modern dance. Am I right, Mdgymmom?

My dd was desperate to try lyrical next year (she did ballet and jazz this year). She did not like ballet at all. She was given special permission from the lyrical teacher to take the class in the fall (she just turned 8 and the class is for 10-13 year olds) BUT, only if she continued with ballet. She agreed. I was so happy as I love ballet. It seems that lyrical doesn't always practice turnout and the teacher wanted her to have the ballet foundation along with taking lyrical. It seems there is no substitute for ballet ;-) but, it does get more interesting for the girls after the beginning levels...I hope!!!

Talk to a couple of dance studios and ask them which class(jazz or lyrical) might be best. I agree that a class that still has a ballet foundation is probably best for helping with her gymnastics, but anything where she is working on movement with music will have some benefit.

Lyrical is more like ballet in the sense you need to extend your arms and point your toes. I think that would help more with dance for gymnasts than jazz would. Dd (13 year old dancer) does all types of dance and would love to drop ballet if I would let her. She does like her contemporary / lyrical class though.

Depending on how old your dd is, most studios don't introduce Lyrical/Contemporary/Modern untill the age of at least 10 or 11. It is true that Ballet is the foundation of ALL dance styles , even Hip Hop. And because Lyrical and Contemporary are based on ballet, the students MUST have the solid ballet background to gain anything from the other styles. My dd has taken strictly ballet from ages 8-12 and just recently this past year started jazz and lyrical. It was amazing how FAST she picked up the styles because of her strong ballet technique. Yes, ballet may be boring, but it is invaluable.

I agree with the posters that said to let her take jazz, but also require her to take a ballet class as well.

My DD (8) takes ballet- she hates it. It's very serious, she takes from a hardcore ballet teacher who expects perfection. That said, the change in her turnout, toe pointing, and form has been remarkable since she started approx 6 months ago. I will admit I bribe her with ice cream at the end of each month for going and not complaining.

Thanks for all the great advice. I admit - I know nothing about dance. My sport growing up was swimming.

I think I'll let her try Jazz. She is too young for the Modern dance classes locally. Is Lyrical the same as Modern?

If she likes the Jazz, I'll try to get her to try Ballet again. Maybe the ice cream bribe would work on her as well.:)

I train ballroom dance. I love it! I am also a gymnastics coach. Its a lot more fun then other dances. It would help with her frame, lines, keeping shoulders back, and not looking down at the floor.

DD took jazz, ballet, and character jazz last season. She was on a competitive dance team and did 5 different routines. Can I tell you how happy I am that she has since told me she only wants to do gymnastics from now on!! :) :) :). The dance competitions were so long and got so expensive. Anyways- end of my rant. :)

If she absolutely refuses to do ballet then I would do jazz. She'll learn leaps and turns there that can benefit her in gymnastics- in my opinion. Even though my DD isn't doing dance team anymore she is still doing ballet. I moved her from a more "fun" ballet class to a "hardcore" ballet class that trains the Vaganova method. She has never been a fan of ballet- she's 7 now- started ballet at 4, did 6 months quit then came back at 6. However I've made the executive decision to make it non-negotiable so she doesn't fight me as much anymore. I think she has finally learned that I will not back down and she will be taking ballet whether she wants to or not. It's worked though because she came home from ballet tonight telling me that even though her toes were sore, lol, that she had a blast. So I'm the mean Mommy that makes her go to a class she doesn't want to. I like to think she'll thank me for it later. :)

Thanks for all the great advice. I admit - I know nothing about dance. My sport growing up was swimming.

I think I'll let her try Jazz. She is too young for the Modern dance classes locally. Is Lyrical the same as Modern?

If she likes the Jazz, I'll try to get her to try Ballet again. Maybe the ice cream bribe would work on her as well.:)

Lyrical (aka contemporary, not to be confused with modern) is the fusion of jazz and ballet. It combines the techical elements of classical ballet and the expressiveness and the freedom of jazz. Note however, jazz dance alone has very many dance styles. Its origin is African American which was later influenced by numerous choreographers creating their own version of jazz dance. And although as indicated by many posters above, proficiency in any dance form is lnked to ballet, being proficient in ballet takes many years. In addition, it can be boring in its beginning stages especially to the action driven gymnast. So, taking one year beginning ballet,
or even two years, one day a week, in my humble opinion, wiil hardly make any difference in her turn out or
technique, plus it will cost you ice cream money (not to mention the pounds you'll put on since you may not be able to resist buying yourself ice cream too. :eek: I like everyone else, feel jazz may be the way to go. But as
I indicated above if she does not like one particular jazz class, I would not throw in the towel yet because unlike ballet (even with the slight variations in the Russian or America styles are still so similar), jazz classes/styles vary greatly, at least to me. Note however that hip hop will not help her extensions but like any dance form may help in her musicality and expression. I just love dance. So you think you can dance is my favorite show.

I think Jazz would be the next best thing after ballet to take. There is a lot of emphasis on good posture and techinque which you don't get with all styles. Lots of leaps, jumps and turns too to help with the gym skills. Most gym routines are fairly based in jazz.

I did dance for 11 years, I did Jazz for 11, ballet for 2 then quit and then 1 more at the end and that is all the dance i ever did. Jazz, is almost as technical as ballet if taught properly, At my last ballet school if you did Jazz, ballet was compulsory unless you did a jazz technique class where we worked basic posture technique, strength etc, Jazz I think helps and i think one of the biggest advantages is being better able to pick up choreography for floor routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back