Parents Form question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is 5.5. She's been in pre-team for several months and I've been told they like to keep them there for a year. (This is for the first level of pre-team; they have 3 levels)

The gym preaches the philosophy that the reason behind this is they want to work on form for a year.

However, don't kiddos mature/gain skills at different rates? Also - none of the coaches who coach the lowest level of pre-team have taught form as of yet. There are 5 kids in the class. The coach will be at one station, spotting a student. However, I've noticed she doesn't even look at my daughter as she goes through the move. She is chatting with older team members walking by, other coaches, etc. She does have favorites though, and will work with them closely and talk with them while my daughter is on her own.

Also, my daughter got stuck upside down on the bar, tangled in this stupid plastic spotter thing that's always breaking, and the coach didn't notice for over a minute, even though she only had 4 other kids.

Am I being too critical or is this typical behavior where pre-team they're expected to correct things themselves somehow? Note - at least 3 parents I've spoken with have said their kids dislike this coach so much they've cried and refused to go back. My daughter tolerates her for some reason. (The other 2 coaches are just as bad and the classes are filled anyway)

Should I take video proof to the rec director and see if she can move up a level of pre-team? My daughter is getting bored with the exact same routine every single week. They never even switch the skill.

This is unfortunately not unusual. Coaching gymnastics is not a popular occupation, the hours are late nights and weekends, they pay is not great and it takes a toll on the body.

Most gyms are finding coaches are in short supply. They usually have great coaches, but that’s not enough to keep their doors open a gym running.

So there will be coaches who are young, less capable, less interested etc.

A friendly chat to the owner could help.

This is unfortunately not unusual. Coaching gymnastics is not a popular occupation, the hours are late nights and weekends, they pay is not great and it takes a toll on the body.

Most gyms are finding coaches are in short supply. They usually have great coaches, but that’s not enough to keep their doors open a gym running.

So there will be coaches who are young, less capable, less interested etc.

A friendly chat to the owner could help.
What's funny is the just bought another popular gym in the area. I think it would help to talk with the owner and see what their goals are. Though honestly, I've seen the owner in public twice. I might try the rec director who has seen my daughter more. It's a huge gym. Does well but has sooo many kids on the floor at one time. A smaller gym might also work out better. Thanks for the advice!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back