Parents Friday Meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

veganmami

Proud Parent
Not that it's happening to me, but I'm curious at everyones response regarding meets that extend onto a Friday. I've recently seen one where the gym is having AM sessions on a Friday. I know if that was my DD, I'd be a little perturbed that she would have to miss school. What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't like it, but I could probably deal with it if it were only once or twice a season. The school starts sending us nasty letters once the kids get to 3 unexcused absences.

It happens to us at least 2 times a year. No reason to get upset, only so many hours in the weekend. :)

All but one of my dds meets was on Friday last season. It's just part of it. Some years it will just be like that. Travel meets are even worse. We generally miss several days for those because we have to fly. I always just make sure I'm really up front with her teacher from the beginning of the year and make sure we get work ahead of time and that she is up on her work throughout the year. This sport takes an extraordinary level of commitment from everyone involved. Sooo worth every hassle and challenge though. It's an amazing journey.

It happens to us sometimes but generally it's been a Fri afternoon so we can grab her right before lunch. My DD goes to a Montessori school and they do all their heavy work in the mornings and since much of it is independent missing a day here or there isn't a big deal at all. We do have a girl (Level 7) in our gym that has perfect attendance at school and at this point she will scratch the meet vs. being counted absent. I really feel for that family as it puts them in a difficult position but I also understand that with some of these big meets it just can't be helped.

My daughter is already thinking about a meet for next season where she would have to miss school. She has already said, I am not missing school for gymnastics. SHe is going on 4 years of perfect attendance. Now she will sacrifice many things for gymnastics but missing a day of school for gymnastics is not her thing. I just support her and love that she is clear in her mind of what she wants. Kids are all different.

A couple of our meets last year were on Friday but we were homeschooling. Now my girls are back in a charter school. When I took the tour I mentioned to the Principal that my girls were gymnasts and may miss a few Friday's. She said as long as they were doing well (both honor roll) and I had proof (meet flyer) that the board would approve the absences. I hope it won't be an issue but you never know.....

Just one of those things, I don't think missing a couple days of school is a big deal as long as they are doing well.

My dd has her first Friday meet next Friday. It's at 12:eek:0pm and over 2 hours away, so she'll be missing school. We are new to team this year, so I'll admit most of her teammates parents and I were surprised. But for a one time thing, I'm not too upset about missing one day of first grade. If every meet was on a Friday, I would not be happy though.

We had three Friday meets last year. It is annoying, but what are you going to do? If it gets to be too much, scratch the meet. Around here it does seem that they are loading the lower levels onto the Fridays, though, and I don't appreciate that. I know that it may seem more important not to miss a day of 9th grade as opposed to a day of second, but some balance would be nice.

Our gym never has the compulsory girls do meets where they would miss school. Once you're in optionals, though, it's fair game. My DD's last season (L7) almost all her meets were on Fridays--including our big travel meet. I figure it's a small sacrifice to make at this point in the game. I spoke with all of DD's teachers at parent-teacher conferences the other day to mention that she may miss a day of school here and there, and every one of them said, "Not a problem. She is a very good student and I'm not worried at all." Even my middle DD's teachers don't have a problem with her missing because of her little sister's meets. :)

Used to it--there are a few local meets that compete on Fridays. Doesn't really bother me (but them again my gymmies were straight A students, so maybe that's why I'm unconcerned!)

We often have meets starting on Friday. My daughter conpetes 4 times before Christmas and 3 of them are in Friday
I prefer that over her 1 meet where she is Sunday last flight.
I don't mind them at all. My dd is fine school at 12:15 daily so she doesn't miss much

We often have meets starting on Friday. My daughter conpetes 4 times before Christmas and 3 of them are in Friday
I prefer that over her 1 meet where she is Sunday last flight.
I don't mind them at all. My dd is fine school at 12:15 daily so she doesn't miss much
Agree! Hated Sunday evening times--happy to say we got only one or two over the many years!

Every meet in our area in Friday Saturday. Some years every meet was on Friday and some years it was more spread out. I am not worried about school since DD is an excellent student and is at a school that is very understanding and supportive of her activities. Next year in middle school there are actual consequences for missing school so many times but then that is a problem with the school not with me. My theory is that if she is getting straight As it shouldn't matter how much they miss. But we do try to keep it to a minimum

Every meet in our area in Friday Saturday. Some years every meet was on Friday and some years it was more spread out. I am not worried about school since DD is an excellent student and is at a school that is very understanding and supportive of her activities. Next year in middle school there are actual consequences for missing school so many times but then that is a problem with the school not with me. My theory is that if she is getting straight As it shouldn't matter how much they miss. But we do try to keep it to a minimum
Interesting...vast majority of meets in our area are Saturday and Sunday. May add a Friday night session if too many kids. Only the handful of very large Invitationals(the kind that teams from allover would travel to) have sessions all day Friday.

Less common at the compulsory levels, but very common for optionals. So, you better get used to it. Last season we had an 8 AM Friday session in a city that was 2 1/2 hours away. We've got two out of state meets this year and I'm expecting at least one of them to be on a Friday.

Less common at the compulsory levels, but very common for optionals. So, you better get used to it. Last season we had an 8 AM Friday session in a city that was 2 1/2 hours away. We've got two out of state meets this year and I'm expecting at least one of them to be on a Friday.

Same thing happened to us....Friday 8AM in a city 3 hours away. It really sucked because it was the meet that we do our "girls weekend" and have little traditions we do for that meet. Totally anti-climactic.

The positive side was that "meet weekend" was pretty relaxing on Saturday and Sunday.

I'm used to the nasty school letters referenced above. I get one every year since DD joined team. They can deal. I work in a school so I know that they've got much bigger fish to fry than my honor roll kid who is missing because of gymnastics meet with the goal of earning a college scholarships (after she wins the Olympics). I honestly believe a truancy hearing judge would find dragging me in a ridiculous waste of his or her time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back