MAG Front Full Problem (Hard to Explain)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

klunt

Gymnast
I was looking back at some clips when I was 12 (Before I got hurt) and I noticed that when I did front fulls I would quarter twist to my left, by the time I was upside down it looked like I was doing an aerial or side flip and then I would quarter twist to my right before I landed. So ultimately I was really only doing a weird looking front flip in total. I've been twisting like that ever since, I guess. 5 months ago when I was doing front 1 1/2's my coach said they looked weird but I couldn't feel it. He had me work TONS of front fulls into the pit to try and correct my twisting. Nothing worked. I REALLY need help to correct it when I go back in like 6 months. Here's a video. Sorry about the sloppy form. I was only 12. :confused::confused::confused:

What am I doing? - YouTube

Wow, that does look funny, almost like a barani with a half twist at the end.

Go back to just doing front layouts, then jump full twist when you land. Once that's good, twist very late in the layout. Maybe do a half twist very late and then jump the rest of it around when you hit the mat. Slowly make your twist less and less late, until it's at the right time.

Also, in the video, it looks like you're twisting too slowly. Really work on pulling your arm hard to get the twist going faster. Right now you're landing on the tramp still twisting, that's a knee injury waiting to happen.

Have you tried twisting in the other direction? I had the hardest time with twisting, my coach told me to try twisting the other way, and after a few attempts, my twisting was already leaps and bounds better. It will feel a little funny at first, but it's worth trying.

100 piked fronts.......100 piked start and open to hollow.......after you have done these in that order, follow this strategy each practice......

2 piked fronts......2 pike open to hollow.....1 pike open to hollow with half twist while opening into the hollow.......do this sequence as many times you'd like each practice, for a minimum of 30 cycles, more like 100 cycles if you really want to learn it right.

That 2/2/1 sequence will teach you how to set into the flip, time your twist, and give you some air sense......

That's not a full twist in the video you linked to. You start twisting right, and then twist to the left. I'm guessing you're a left twister but your barani is messed and twists to the right. A common mistake. You should definitely determine your twisting dominance and then go from there. Chances are you will have to re-learn your barani. Lots of late twisting drills will help.

My son just had to do this, and was doing exactly what you describe. He would twist right, and back to the left. He could do his back full either way. He had a lot of dominance issues going on that I wish had been caught sooner. One question, which leg do you lead with on your round off? Front handspring? That might help. My son was leading left on roundoffs and right on front handsprings. he and his coach decided to keep the round off, and switch everythign to left. It is working but has taken a lot of time. Lots of jumping twists (no flipping). Then on to flips like the coaches have talked about. HE finally was able to get his front full on the tramp last week.
Good luck!

what you did is a "fake". you did a left barani which means right twist. but you twisted back the direction you came from which means you did a "crooked" front. do the barani from a knee drop. put your hands down on the bed as your body goes over the top. when you're ready to twist out, leave your right hand back on the bed and roll with the twist. this will help orient which way you twist.:)

I'd also recommend not using your round-off to decide which direction to twist your barani, since a round-off isn't really a twisting skill. Learn you twisting dominance by doing lots of easy skills on a trampoline like swivel hips, rollers, cradles, cruises and so on. If you then determine you need to learn how to twist a barani in the other direction, start with late twisting drills. I particularly like this one:

1. Start with a front pike, and try to clap your hands behind your knees while you're in the air.
2. Next, try to add a twist to the front pike, but only after you clap your hands. Waiting for the clap will keep you from twisting early and possibly twisting in the wrong direction.

If you determine that you don't need to re-learn your barani, then things are much easier. Lots of barani, jump 1/2 turns would probably suffice.

Interesting...our son's coach told us since he leads left, he should be twisting left. Is this not true? that was one of the determining factors. Not the only one, but he said on tumbling passes it looks nicer.

If you're naturally a left twister, twist left, if you're right, twist right. Most kids learn a cartwheel/roundoff without first determining their twisting dominance. So I wouldn't take that into consideration as to which way you should twist.

Then there are the odd kids who can twist just as good in either direction. In that case, pick a direction and stick to it. Making sure all skills twist the same way.

LOL! D is definitely odd that way. Maybe that is why he had more room to choose.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back