Parents frustrated..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well..I hate for my first post in this forum to be so negative, but I'm frustrated and feel like this is partly the purpose of the forum!;-) I'm mom to an 8-year old gymmie. We competed Level 5 last year and we're still waiting to hear what level we are going to be competing this year (big part of my frustration!). She has all of her level 6 skills and they had her in a level 6 training group at a recent compulsory training..and that's all I have to go on. I love our gym and it's philosophy, but we've had coaching changes every year that we've competed and things seem to get a little more disorganized with each change. I've tried to stay positive and just roll with it, but it's getting harder and harder. Miss Gym Thing doesn't seem to be bothered by anything..but she is only 8 and as long as she is in the gym..she doesn't care! As the parent paying the expenses..I tend to be bothered by it a bit more!;-) I don't want to toot our own horn..but she's also one of the more talented kids on her team and I really hate to see wasted potential. We are already one of the gyms that practices less hours than most of our competition, so we really need every practice to count. The older girls on the team have been voicing some concerns over lack of conditioning and lack of corrections on skills from some of the coaches. Ugghhh. Just want her to have a good, productive season! Well..thanks for letting me vent. I hope to be back soon with some good positive things to report! Looking forward to getting to know this group, too!

YOur complaint about communication is one of the most common issues for parents. I think most of us have felt that way at times, and it seems to be extremely common at this time of year.

My personal suggestion is to email the coach and simply ask what their plans are for your child for this season.

As to the quality of the coaching that can be a bigger issue and people do move gyms because of those problems.

It is wonderful that your gymmie is happy as long as she is doing gym, but as you say gym is expensive and you are obviously feeling that the gym is not working your child to her full potential. THis can also be discussed with the coach, thouhg sometimes it is hard not to come over as a psycho gym parent and coaches are often hypersensitive to questions.

Good luck with the issues, I hope you can get the answers you are looking for, but if you don't ask, I can guarantee you won't.

MOst new members come here with issues to resolve, but then they usually stick around for the fun and crazy stuff too.

Welcome to the Chalk Bucket. I feel your frustration and I hope that you can get some resolution soon.

When does your meet season begin?

Bogwoppit..you hit the nail on the head! I do need to buck up and at least ask the simple questions. I've got a really good relationship with the coaches and I have no reason to think they would be bothered by answering that. Isn't if funny how hard that feels sometimes?
You're also correct that the coaching issues are a lot harder to deal with. Unfortunately, this is the only gym in our immediate area so we're going to have to make the most of it. A big commute is just not an option for us right now. I most definitely plan on hanging around for all the fun and craziness..can't wait!:)

Tracy..we have yet to see a competition schedule (another little frustration that I will have to ask about). The last two seasons have started in late October.

Thanks for the support!

We don't have our schedule yet either. They just sent a note home saying it would be out on Oct 1st. That is the latest we have ever got one. Our season doesn't start until Jan. but still..

Welcome to Chalkbucket! And as Bog said--just e-mail and ask. Worst they could say is that they haven't figured it out yet.

I know just how you feel. We have had many coaching changing at gym as well lately and practices have become a bit unproductive. I finally after stewing on my concerns for the first time voiced them. I don't know why it seems so hard to discuss w/owners or coaches when we are disappointed or concerned. I think we don't want to be labeled as the parent that complains.

Our gym is similar never knowing what level your child is going to compete. One thing I have noticed is no news usually means they are not moving up.

We have poor communication as well. Sometimes like when money is due is overkilled in memo's, but the things we parents need like dates for events, fundraisers, banquets, meets are usually later than I would like.

Good luck

Is there a difference in tuition between L5 and L6? If so, you could ask how much you owe since dd has been practicing with a L6 group. Its a round about way of addressing the issue.

I would think they should be making a decision soon since your season is not far away and the girls have to work on routine run throughs.

All of our level 5's and up practice together for the same amount of time..so there is no tuition difference. It is funny how quickly they disseminate information about meet fees, fundraisers, and other events!! I did finally shoot the coach an e-mail this afternoon and I'll hope to have a reply by Tuesday with the holiday. Again..I appreciate the support. I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear something.

I here your frustration. We are in the same boat daughter is competing at 6 this year I think but we were never formally told. I am going by she the fact that she is working on those routines and has all heer skills . Makes me mad because the level4 that were moving up got a letter yes they are younger. And one of daughters teammates tested out of 6 and was told she is going to 7 with the hopes that she will move to 8 she is really talented so I agree that this is the right move for her daughter. I just feel like if you are the average kid at our gym your are just left in the dark. Although I think our head coach runs a great programknows what she is doing you just can not approach her at times. Daughter is practicing with new level 5 one another possible 6 and the prep team who last year did not rpactice with the regular team but they did usag meets under prep optional. SoSo this. Leaves me more clueless if I get up my nerve I just might say something to the coach when I drop her off this week. We will see.

Well..I got a response from one of the coaches today. They are apparently not making any decisions until the end of the month. He said he hopes to communicate to the parents the first week of October. They are still trying to finalize the meet schedule, too. He did give me a run-down on how Miss Gym Thing is doing. Right now biggest struggle is bars..she has all the individual skills, but is struggling with connecting them right now..along with some strength issues. She sort of has the routine in halfs (the low bar half/the high bar half). Bars is usually one of her stronger events, so I'm hoping in the next few weeks she'll pull it together. Somehow I feel like if they were still conditioning like they had been with previous coaches that we wouldn't be having some of these issues..but there's just not a lot I can do about that! We'll see what happens....

Glad you heard back from him and nice that he gave you a run down on what is going on with her skill-wise. Hope they get everything settled soon.

I have to say when I read this, I thought, this sounds like our gym and it was. I had no idea any other parent ever got on here. It will get better. Communication has always been a problem with the gym, but it really is better now more than ever. I've had 1 child compete for the last 6 years, but they didn't overlap. We've been through lots of coaches. We live in a college town, so most of the kids come to coach for 3/4 years and by the time they are able to coach the team, they seem to be graduating. It does get frustrating. I'm like you though, I love the whole philosophy behind the gym. My little one, has no desire to be the best, but she loves to be the center of attention. She is lucky that she has some natural ability, because unlike her sister (who worked so hard to improve), that desire is just not there in AB. KAM is so talented and she works so hard. I really hope they let her compete level 6. Bars will come. I've seen her on floor some and her tumbling has come so far since she was level 4. Hang in there!!!!

TJ..thanks for the support. You've reminded me of one of the most positive things about our gym. The great group of parents we have!! I've heard many horror stories about gyms where the parents are pitted against each other over their gymnasts. We have such an amazingly supportive group that are just as quick to celebrate each other's gymnasts successes as they are their own. I honestly don't know if I could survive the journey if that weren't the case!! I'm still amazed that we found each other on here!:)

Last edited:
Hi Kamgymmom, it is frustrating when you are in limbo. My DD's gym has not given out the meet schedule and we only know of the one being held at her gym--this is challenging when planning everyone in the family's schedule--I have 2 children who are not in gymnastics. Glad the coach gave you some feedback :) sounds like your gymmie is on the right track.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back