WAG Funny Things Gymnasts/Coaches Say

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymRat, you made me think of the name we give to our mats. We have a big Berta and some bananas (which are logically blue and red )

Gymrat, your not the only gym that names your equipment, all of our beams have names, theirs cranky, sport, no name, squishy, squeaky, tiny and baby. It's funny because when my youngest dd got her back walker on beam alone she went and told her grandma, I did a back walkover on squishy today, and she has no idea what she's talking about.

WHAT?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Awesome...

maybe I should have explained some of those....

'pretend you have a £50 note between your bum cheeks' to get them to squeeze (self explanatory, no? ;) )
'you're swimming!' (when there is no pool anywhere near) - swinging their arms round and round, trying to gain control
'you're winding down the windows' - as above, but in smaller circles ;)
'keep your legs closed woman!'
'hey, tramps, come over here'/'lets have a trampy trip to...'/'can you move that tramp please?'
'Mark's not doing it right, pass me the belt!' - judo belt used for spotting somersaults, not to beat him with, though one of my coaches has a running joke when he gets it out that he walks up to the gymnast he plans to use it on and says 'right, bend over!'
'Bite your leotard' - biting the neckline of the leotard, to keep from throwing your head back in back somersaults
'If you keep doing that, I'll tie your legs together!'

We call our big mat (level 3 vault) "Baby Baluga." We also have an inflatable bouncy mat that we call "The Friend". Along with various other mat names, we have names for some of the beams, such as "Kit-Kat" and "Squishy"

To anyone else we must sound crazy.

"Go put Baby Baluga under the bars."
"Put an 8-inch behind The Friend."
"Go work your series on Kit-Kat"
lol, we have a coach named Kit-Kat, so that last one would definitely be awkward for anyone from our gym :D

I tell my kids "I don't wanna see flappy chicken wings or dinosaur arms!" (AKA "keep your arms straight, up, and tight!")

My coach had taken a video of me vaulting and my friend was watching it with me while the coach was next to me.
Me: *cringes*
Friend: Whoa, that was like, perfect!
Me: No! I was piked, my shoulders were closed, I didn't reach, I was on the back of the board, and I wasn't hollow!
Coach: Good! (as in, good that I recognized what was wrong)
Friend: Uh... I'm not even going to ask.
(I didn't realize until after how strange that must have sounded! We gymnasts have our own language!)

-your not a noodle, tell yourself that
- pop off the top
- push through your shoulders
- if you don't keep your legs straight, I'll tape them straight

My scales weren't very good and were just like a line so my coach would just yell "Be a bowl!!!!!!" She said it at a meet one time and the people near us looked at her like she was crazy.

We named the beams and the most unfaviourite beam is called BOD (beam of death) we all race to the beams so we don't have to be on bod :/

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back