MAG Future stars -- behind the curve?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

profmom

Proud Parent
So DS will be starting to work on Future Stars in a few weeks. His crazy coach (and I say this with all affection for the guy) hopes to have him ready to make it to regionals as a 10 year old next fall. My question is whether this is a reasonable aspiration for my kid to have. In this region, only the really good ones are invited to go, and while DS has had a strong competitive year, he is still only a level 5 and has spent most of the year working on perfecting form rather than upgrading. He learned most of the L6 base routines last fall and winter, but hasn't been working any L6 stuff seriously since probably January. I looked at the routines, and some of the skills look like they'd be quite a stretch to get and perfect in such a short period of time!

Yes, I think that is a reasonable aspiration and I would make the longer term goal to make National Development team the following year. In Region 5 it is up to the coach to decide who to take to FS regionals - there isn't a qualifying event. My son was very new to Future Stars when he went to regionals the first year - really just started working the routines that summer. He did qualify to Nationals but at Nationals didn't place high that first year. With another year under his belt, he made the National Development team this year (11 year old division).

Your son is a very clean gymnast and that is what FS is all about - perfecting those basics.

I would say to not worry about where he might place, but instead, jus ton the training that FS does. IMO every boy should be getting this training, whether they compete or not. Our gym still trains and uses the routines, but didn't compete this past year. but the skills, the basics, and the form that these routines focus on can only help in the next levels.

So hoping our coach decides to do FS and/or tech sequences next year. We are begging!

No question he will benefit from the training! I'll just work on getting him to focus on how valuable that is, in case he's not good enough to go to regionals by the time they make the decisions. One of his upper level teammates made the national team, which was really exciting for DS, but it's also put some very ambitious dreams into that little head for a few years down the road.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back