MAG Future Stars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

LilHawkMom

Proud Parent
Is your son doing future stars this year? My son did it last year but things are up in the air whether he will or not because of the timing of our regional future stars being only 11 days before National future stars. To me that is a very short turn around time and then trying to plan it all (flights, hotel, work, babysitter for other kids etc.) if he did qualify.

My son has started learning FS stuff, but won't compete this year. The boys' program director says he is still too weak in his core. We had some turmoil in our program over the summer, so I think we may only have 1-2 guys doing the competition part this year.

Our gym is not doing FS this year. D has the routines, but I can't convince the coach to take just him. I am sure it is a money thing. Just one of many frustrating things right now.

I thought there were minimum requirements about how far apart the competitions had to be? I know there is for JO and I thought there were for FS. I agree taht 11 days is really fast!

Yeah....11 day turnaround is very fast. I thought there was a 1-month deadline for when the regionals need to be completed to allow time for travel coordination, etc? I have a DD, but our gym has a huge boys program and they are doing FS this year. I know there are some workshops leading up to the competition (happening now) and they compete in October to qualify for Nationals.

Wow - 11 days is short notice!

Our regions qualifier is 10/13 and ds is going. I am so nervous for him. He did not make it last year (tried as 9 for age 10) but seems to be in better shape for this year. Fingers crossed until then....

My DS is doing Future Stars again this year. He just attended a FS workshop yesterday. Our regionals is the first weekend in October - so it gives us a month prior to Nationals. My son loves Future Stars and would be very disappointed to not do it.

LilHawkMom, I hope you decide to do it. Maybe you could do some of the planning for Nationals that doesn't require a deposit. Marriott hotel's allow you to cancel up to your arrival date. Good luck!!

You guys are right about there is a certain time period (21 days before Nationals) but I have know idea why they did not have to follow it. Right now it is decided to keep watching my son until it gets closer and then the coach will decide if they think he is going to score well enough to qualify.
We found this on youtube when searching out what the 11 yr old routines look like. It is crazy they gave Josh Dixon Senior National team member a 8.4 on floor! How does my son have a chance to get that?? LOL

Thanks for sharing the youtube video! I'm so glad to see the routines and scoring - yikes!! It will be interesting to see how the boys actually score on these sequences. Remember it is all relative - your son will be competing against 11 year olds - not the National team members.

I don't remember what region you are in but our region (region 5) moved our Regionals up to meet the 30 day prior to Nationals requirement. You should have your coach check in with your region as your regional date may have moved too.

Good luck to your son!!

LilHawkMom, I just remembered that there is a score they need to get to qualify to Nationals. So now I'm getting nervous for my son. Do you remember what the score is? I know there are 9 events - the regular 6 plus strength, flexiblity, and trampoline. I just have no idea what the qualifying score is.

Last year it was either 66 or 66.5 BUT that is for only 8 events---the regular 6 events plus pb strength, flexibility. Trampoline is done and scored but does NOT count towards it.

Our coach checked into it, nothing changed.

Do you know where this info can be found about tramp counting at regionals?

When I wrote :
"Our coach checked into it, nothing changed." I meant that our region is not changing the date of the fs meet.

I only have the info verbally, but it was straight from a JOPC member. We should get an official document after the Chairmans Summit in Chicago this weekend.

Finally, today I found out that it has been moved to Oct 18. So it is technically 21 days by Nov 8 but still to me no other region is doing it that late.

In general, I just don't know if future stars is worth it when my son would be the only going from our gym. It just costs so much money when he is the only one going so we pay for everything all alone. Am I a bad mom if I am not bummed if he doesn't make future star nationals. And since this yr regular JO nationals is so far from us and if he made that he would probably be the only one going. I really feel like this sport is so out of our reach financially for our family most of the time. I just wished we had a huge group of boys doing these things with my son to help the split the cost or win the lotto.

Good luck to all that our doing future stars this weekend and the next weekend!

Ugh, LilHawkMom, that is frustrating! How 'bout this -- I hope your son has an awesome competition and that he has a great time competing!

I understand LilHawkMom! I'm hoping for the lotto win too. :) Skipping FS will let him concentrate on JOs. He is a great gymnast and will go far with or without Future Stars. Good luck this season!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back