Coaches Getting the parents to understand...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have been getting bombarded with parents after competitions asking why their child got this score, or that score, and they thought they did so well, so why didn't they get a better score....

SO! My brain got to thinking...what if we had a crash course on deductions/scoring for the parents. That way they would hopefully stop berating us with questions, and hopefully give them some understand of what the judges are seeing that they are not, so it's not so frustrating for them to watch.

Just wondering if there are any other gyms that have done this and/or if there are some opinions about this idea.

Thanks!

Sam

I usually explain to the entry level 4's parents at a mock meet. I explain the deductions for arms, legs, arch, pike, and falls but also explain about missing elements or added elements, even swing height requirements or hold requirements. I try to make them understand that the judge sees more than they can because they know exactly what they routine should look like.
I try and make them realize that even if the routine looks clean, deductions still can show up by added swings or forgotten skills, and they tend to understand and back off at meets.

Hope this helps

Every year (or every other depending on newcomers), we have a top judge in our state come and do a short mock-meet with the girls. This judge is one the girls see at many meets throughout the year, which seems to lend credibility. After the meet, we open the floor up to questions from the parents. This way the parents get a first hand response from a judge, and don't just think the coaches don't know what they're talking about ;) We do this once for levels 3-6, then again for 7+ and prep-op, since the questions are very different. This seems to have made a huge difference in the amount of complaining and questioning the parents do about scores after a meet, and also helps reinforce corrections the girls hear over and over!

I wish it would be OK to tell the parents that they have no idea what they are actually looking at and the judge has specific things they take off for. It seems like when we give parents the tools (i.e. a list of deductions), some will torture their poor child until they correct each little issue. I'd prefer to leave the coaching to the coaches.
I do like the idea of a mock meet where the judge score as if it were a state meet so everyone knows what to expect. I've seen too many meets early in the season that a judge differently than the state meet and the kids are pretty much slapped in the face at states when their scores are .5 lower than usual.

I do a "What's in a Score" session with our parents every year. I explain there are four main places (in 4-6) that deductions come from: Execution, RAD, Text Errors and Neutral Deductions. I take questions for 30 minutes and then explain the "triangle" Doc Ali talks about, specifically how it is great they have this information, but they have to be the open part of the triangle and can't create more pressure for their daughter. So, I give them the information so I don't have to get asked a million times about why they got what score, but then explain to them why it is dangerous to use at home. It's been working pretty good for me for the past 10 years.

I've seen too many meets early in the season that a judge differently than the state meet and the kids are pretty much slapped in the face at states when their scores are .5 lower than usual.

^^^Biggest pet peeve of mine...it is not that hard to judge the same all season long...it's actually easier...why can't people do it?

I wish it would be OK to tell the parents that they have no idea what they are actually looking at and the judge has specific things they take off for. It seems like when we give parents the tools (i.e. a list of deductions), some will torture their poor child until they correct each little issue. I'd prefer to leave the coaching to the coaches.
I do like the idea of a mock meet where the judge score as if it were a state meet so everyone knows what to expect. I've seen too many meets early in the season that a judge differently than the state meet and the kids are pretty much slapped in the face at states when their scores are .5 lower than usual.

you got that on point. ^^^ and i think the best tool are those 'suzie' videos...:)

I've seen too many meets early in the season that a judge differently than the state meet and the kids are pretty much slapped in the face at states when their scores are .5 lower than usual.

Interesting, because here the scores are the highest at states if anything (and not just because the routines are better). It's not unusual to have second year compulsories doing the same or somewhat better routines and getting lower scores in the fall than they did at states. It's probably not generally a .5 difference though.

Interesting, because here the scores are the highest at states if anything (and not just because the routines are better). It's not unusual to have second year compulsories doing the same or somewhat better routines and getting lower scores in the fall than they did at states. It's probably not generally a .5 difference though.

I noticed that at my states this past year, as well. I recieved about an 8.5 all year on my bar routine, and scored a 9 at states on pretty much the same routine. In my case, it was about a .5 difference, but I noticed it on everyone's routines to some degree.

I don't know if with artistic it's an option, but we (seriously) tell our parents that they can take the judging course. Then they will understand the scores AND have something to do at meets when their child isn't competing!

I know nothing is as good as hearing it from the coach, but this can go a long way. I learned early on I am not a coach or judge.

rulebook.jpg

We encourage our parents to go on a judging course if they really want to know. We have just sent 4 parents this weekend!

That happened to us the last year as well. Same judges scoring all season long, but huge dips at State on all events. Very disheartening for the Coaches and the girls. We do a mock meet as well for our girls. They, as well as their parents, love it. I also make the most of my Meet Maker app. When approached by a frantic parent I can whip out my phone and show them the meet/season results and reports, whether by numbers or (love this app) in a graph format. It is event or all-around specific. They can see the progression in scores, or when I explain a bobble or lower cast angle to them resulted in that score, they get it. You also have the option to email each report which is just fantastic.
Of course it goes out the window when at State the child hits her best beam routine of the season and receives her lowest score. But then again, we go to Regionals and see .5-.9 increase! Very frustrating.

But the app helps! It's an easy visual to pacify parents. Until State...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.239316,-77.803671

I've gone to meets as a mom so I could watch my daughter from the stands, even though I've always been one of her team coaches. I tend to educate parents then and there about deductions and execution. They always appreciate it!

I would say to make up a sheet of general deductions you can hand out. Parents don't always understand those most basic deductions that can lower a score. I also like the idea of having a meeting before meet season or a mock meet with a judge explaining the scores. Most parents don't care so much about the minute deductions. They just want to understand the basics.

all i can think of here is that subjectivity breeds contempt. and that subjectivity comes from the 'minds eye' of whoever is interpreting the routine. such an imperfect system for those that are supposed to know what they're doing...:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back