WAG Getting to NATs/NIT from regionals - rant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Its an interesting idea but I don't think Nastia would agree to giving up he wildly successful event/fundraiser because some people think the JO qualifying needs modifying. Not to mention changing the agreements with the American Cup, sponsors etc.

This was what I was thinking as well, txgymfan!! If I'm Nastia, no way would I even get into this discussion of using my series of meets for JO qualifiers as there is already a system in place that frankly, has nothing to do with Nastia...

And as to gymkateer's point of getting all "athletes with 37s qualified to Nationals", I think you would see some of what was alluded to in another thread with score inflation...all of a sudden, 37 would be the benchmark score if that 's what was needed to assure a spot...

Several years ago Norcal put it up for a vote to move to R2. It would certainly be in their advantage to do so but they didn't want to move to R2. Why?

Unfortunately, that's typical Region 5. So many great gyms in Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, etc....I'm also willing to bet there were probably some former elites that dropped back to L10... But still, wow...

I bet Regions 1 and 3 had similar situations.
==
Yes same in R1, a 37.075 was actually 15th place in JR B..... Which is totally fine, except.... A neighboring region only had 3 kids total in the same division... So the notion that things are just fine and dandy is perplexing to me... Moving a state over would give them around 10 total kids in that division (state depending), meaning only two would not qualify.... Sports at all levels actually do realign districts, regions and East/West to balance the power. The NCAA does it every few years (moving a team to the ACC or SCC) , NHL does it etc..... In my opinion the children come first, not the weather, geography and certainly not wether or not a coach wants to travel to another state to do a clinic........ These kids work just as hard or harder and deserve at least better odds, not 4 to 1 odds.....

Its an interesting idea but I don't think Nastia would agree to giving up he wildly successful event/fundraiser because some people think the JO qualifying needs modifying. Not to mention changing the agreements with the American Cup, sponsors etc.

I read this and thought maybe Nastia wouldn't let the meets be a qualifier but then I remembered that the meets don't belong to Nastia. If she didn't want her name used anymore, they could just call it something else. Agreements and sponsors change. Remember when the American Cup was the McDonald's American Cup or when it was the Visa American Cup?

This was what I was thinking as well, txgymfan!! If I'm Nastia, no way would I even get into this discussion of using my series of meets for JO qualifiers as there is already a system in place that frankly, has nothing to do with Nastia...

And as to gymkateer's point of getting all "athletes with 37s qualified to Nationals", I think you would see some of what was alluded to in another thread with score inflation...all of a sudden, 37 would be the benchmark score if that 's what was needed to assure a spot...

If judges started throwing 37s out like candy, there's still the limit on the number of athletes. Take the highest scorers, use the tiebreakers. The goal is to get the best athletes to Nationals. If todays 35 becomes tomorrows 37, those athletes are still behind the best athletes no matter what their score says.

And there's no way that the Nastia qualifier meets will ever "do away with their fee" because that's how she has raised tons of money for her charities....not going to happen...

If the meet was repurposed they might do away with the fee or they might not. I think clubs would want to have their meet become part of a JO National qualifier series for the same reasons they want to be part of the Nastia Series.

If the meet was repurposed they might do away with the fee or they might not. I think clubs would want to have their meet become part of a JO National qualifier series for the same reasons they want to be part of the Nastia Series.

What you are proposing is a new set of meets designated as a JO qualifier series. It has nothing to do with the Nastia series or the American Cup.

What you are proposing is a new set of meets designated as a JO qualifier series. It has nothing to do with the Nastia series or the American Cup.

I'm not proposing a new set of meets. I'm proposing repurposing the Nastia series so that it no longer has anything to do with the American Cup. Instead it would have a new role as a JO qualifier series.

I'm not proposing a new set of meets. I'm proposing repurposing the Nastia series so that it no longer has anything to do with the American Cup. Instead it would have a new role as a JO qualifier series.

Not to beat a dead horse but the Level 10 Regionals are the JO qualifier series....

[QUOTE="Gymkateer, post: 300011, member: 16582"I think it would be pretty exciting. A lot better than some dry, soulless formula based on population. .[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how any new series of meets is better than a "dry soulless formula based on population" . Our government is based on such a formula.

[QUOTE="Gymkateer, post: 300011, member: 16582"I think it would be pretty exciting. A lot better than some dry, soulless formula based on population. .

I'm not sure how any new series of meets is better than a "dry soulless formula based on population" . Our government is based on such a formula.[/QUOTE]

That's probably because you're not the type of person that thinks a qualifying series is exciting.

The thing with our government being based on such a formula is I don't really care if our government is exciting. I'd prefer if it wasn't.

I am not sure I really understand the problem with a certain score to get to nationals. Maybe there could be some kind of seminar or discussion for judges regarding scoring for Nationals. For the most part, gymnastics is subjective but we have to live with the judges at each and every meet so why not trust them not to inflate scores? I really don't understand the regional team competition and why that is important. Is it a money maker? Many sports use a qualifying score to get to Nationals, and usually there is more than one meet to do so. However, even if we leave qualifying just at the regional meets it just seems more fair to have an overall score. I am in a fairly large state and can't drive to one of the powerhouse gyms, but my daughter has worked hard enough to achieve a high enough score to go to Nationals, but due to the large number of gymnasts it didn't happen this year. Can someone explain why regional representation is so important and why regional teams are? This is not to go against the system I just don't quite understand this.
Thanks.

I think Regional representation is desired because certain regions score higher as a benchmark ( but it's not all of their kids on the podium when you get to JOs) so to keep it fair for the Regions that take deductions as they should, but don't have their top 80 gymnasts scoring 37+ ....there IS a score for qualifying to Nationals and it is currently 34.00...does it need to be higher? Perhaps, but it's not like there isn't a qualifying score ... I think no matter what score is "set" regions will always judge to that...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back