WAG Girls JO proposed changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a question about the new levels? My dd is a level 4 and she was going to stay at that level this next season but with the new changes they will still stay at a 4 which is actually a 5. Does it matter if she did not get the 31.0 to move up a level since she is not really moving? I am confused.

I have a question about the new levels? My dd is a level 4 and she was going to stay at that level this next season but with the new changes they will still stay at a 4 which is actually a 5. Does it matter if she did not get the 31.0 to move up a level since she is not really moving? I am confused.

She will need the mobility score of 31 to move to the new level 4 (current level 5). From how I understand it, a level 4 staying at a level 4 next year, will actually be at the (new) Level 3. The skills at new Level 3, will be the same as current level 4, plus they can add a kip if they wanted to. It is the same all across the US, so it is not a demotion.

I wish USAG named the levels differently, because when gymnast start moving to a lower level #, despite the skills remaining the same, psychologically, it is going to be tough. They should have just added a new Level 7A and made the current level 7, Level 7B

As the owner and operator of a boy as well as a girl, I can give you a perspective from someone who's now been through a major set of changes. The JO boys' program did not change the levels the way the JO girls' program will, but they changed the scoring system dramatically. Maximum scores for compulsories are now out of a total of about 12 rather than 16, and a typical really high score appears to be an 11 rather than a 15. At their first meet, boys who had never gotten scores below double digits were suddenly seeing 6s and 7s.

They were totally fine. After a rotation or two, they kind of got how the new world works, and moved right on with it.

I honestly think that for most kids, if the coach or parent says in a matter-of-fact way, "they're renumbering the levels so that new L4 is basically what old L5 is, so the fact that you're competing L4 next fall means you're moving up," most kids will just say, "oh, okay," and be fine. If, on the other hand, parents or coaches make a big deal out of it, then there probably will be more drama and trauma.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back