Glasses

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd has had contacts since she was 8, mainly due to sports, especially gymnastics. She has worn glass since she was 4, poor kid has horrible vision. Never once has she lost a contact in the gym or at a meet, although I always have an extra set with me just in case. I, personally, did not want her to wear glasses in the gym because if she were to fall and hit the equipment with glasses on, I can only image what that can do to her face.

She also has an astigmatism in both eyes and although the contacts do basically correct her vision, it does not correct the astigmatisms like someone else said, so her clarity is somewhat distorted. Eye Dr said with her contacts she could still pass the eye sight test for driving, but she just lacks the clarity that she can get with her glasses. She's a teenager now (15) and I only see her glasses on rare occasions around the house - never out!

Good luck with your decision, it is really a personal one to make!

I got glasses when I was 7. I was lucky I could take them off for gym because I just needed them for school at first. By 5th grade I needed them for gym but I begged for contacts. I proved to my mom and eye doctor I was responsible enough and have had them since, no problems with them falling out!ever!

I have had to wear hearing aids during gym. Those never stay on flipping! Once one hit the judge during a L8 bar routine at state hahahaha. I stopped wearing them for gym then (and eventually for good, it was a failed experiment to help my english)

Tell pickle not to worry though, she's in good company! And good luck!

One more thing I wanted to add... Glasses are great because they can just change the lens when needed. As someone else pointed out, kids sight changes rapidly. Basically every time you see a growth spurt, you should be prepared for a new prescription. This is also important down the line if you do decide to try contact lenses. If you ever make that decision, don't buy a years supply to save money, because chances are her sight would change again within that year. I learned this the hard way. Unless of course you have a vision center that is willing to take back the old unused ones in exchange. Good luck!!! Let us know how she is making out around the gym with her new accessory :)

I am glad your daughter got two pair and the cute ones for school! But I hear ya on how expensive they are...someone is making some serious money off of the eyeglass frame business!

I wear contacts and they stay in fine, but I keep an extra pair in my cubby just in case. I do know a girl on our team who wears special sports glasses with a strap on them and they work fine.

Yeah, I needed glasses about three years ago... I didn't wear them at practice, then, my vision got worse. Now, I either wear contacts for 30 minutes and loose them, or I tie pre-wrap to make a strap for my glasses and wear them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back